• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"There's probably no God. Now stop worrying and enjoy your life."

Apex

Somewhere Around Nothing
Well, that is completely different than your last response. I'm not really sure what you're getting at now, actually.
Its not different to me. And I meant exactly what I said,

Just as these billboards are denounced by other Christians, I was wondering if these atheist statements are also denounced by other atheists.

My first post was slightly tongue in cheek. But apparently that makes me a hard core religious conservative nut job, judging by how my statement was responded to.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
I was referring to posting annoying and purposefully insulting slogans. This is something I have noticed is on the rise. Right here on my campus there is a group of atheists like this.
I don't know what's posted on your campus, but I don't see anything at all insulting in the message of the British or Italian bus ads. Actually, I think they're rather cheery.

Now, to dispel the notion that I am simply targeting the "evil atheists", a perfect example from the religious side (more specifically Christian) are the annoying billboards you occasionally see with things like "Hell is REAL!!!!" or "Beware the mark of the beast!". I consider those billboards to be on the same level as these atheist trying to get these statements posted in public places. Just as these billboards are denounced by other Christians, I was wondering if these atheist statements are also denounced by other atheists.
Just so we're all clear, is this the sort of thing you're talking about?

2543811330_50d75fa1ae.jpg

This is one of the ads from the campaign that the British atheist bus ads were largely a response to.

How about this LDS magazine ad, which plays on feelings from 9-11 and refers to the LDS Church as "truth restored"? Do you condemn it, too?

5345567.jpg

Compared to what religious groups put out, I'd say these atheist bus ads are rather inocuous.

gnomon

Good god people! You do not need to take everything other people as if the meaning is supposed to lay on the extreme radical side of an issue.

Hmmm....nobody called you radical.

I do not denounce the ads because they are not offensive nor do they demand anything of people. Also, having read the news stories behind the ads to understand what prompted them in the first place I fully support them.

Seriously, how many centuries of religious dominance in social life and the reactions by so many religious believers on this forum and liberal ones at that to take such offense at a non-religious attempt to engage in that society.

I think the term humility has left them.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Good god people! You do not need to take everything other people as if the meaning is supposed to lay on the extreme radical side of an issue.
By the same token, you shouldn't be surprised that calling people "arrogant asses" gets their backs up.

Apex

Somewhere Around Nothing
I don't know what's posted on your campus, but I don't see anything at all insulting in the message of the British or Italian bus ads. Actually, I think they're rather cheery.

Just so we're all clear, is this the sort of thing you're talking about?

2543811330_50d75fa1ae.jpg
That is not what I am referring to. That sign is not really condemning or purposefully insulting. The examples I gave are actually bill boards I saw driving to Florida once. The "Hell is REAL!" is meant to try and scare people into believing in Christianity. Kind of the "Hell fire and brimstone" approach that never works as is unethical, imo.

This is one of the ads from the campaign that the British atheist bus ads were largely a response to.
I would understand if the atheist adds were a response to the examples I posted, but not the one you gave.

How about this LDS magazine ad, which plays on feelings from 9-11 and refers to the LDS Church as "truth restored"? Do you condemn it, too?

5345567.jpg

Compared to what religious groups put out, I'd say these atheist bus ads are rather inocuous.
What magazine was it in? And I fail to see where that add is meant to purposefully offend someone else or try and tell someone that their beliefs are wrong or stupid. Its simply promoting our Church in a friendly manner, where is the problem with that?

Luminous

non-existential luminary
That is not what I am referring to. That sign is not really condemning or purposefully insulting. The examples I gave are actually bill boards I saw driving to Florida once. The "Hell is REAL!" is meant to try and scare people into believing in Christianity. Kind of the "Hell fire and brimstone" approach that never works as is unethical, imo.

I would understand if the atheist adds were a response to the examples I posted, but not the one you gave.

What magazine was it in? And I fail to see where that add is meant to purposefully offend someone else or try and tell someone that their beliefs are wrong or stupid. Its simply promoting our Church in a friendly manner, where is the problem with that?
"truth". are lies wrong and stupid? i'd say yes. God probably doesn't exist simply promotes real truth.
I take offence to you "Liberals want to institute a new set of evils" quote in your sig. it is demeaning to others such as i.

Luminous

non-existential luminary
Are all atheists on a mission to come off as a bunch of arrogant asses? There has got to be some of them somewhere who think these kind of messages only make them look bad.
I am Agnostic and you are Josephidian. I am myself and you try to be who you think another was and what is best for you. is this not true? Don't be such a meani. what kind of messages are you talking about?

Last edited:

Apex

Somewhere Around Nothing
"truth". are lies wrong and stupid? i'd say yes. God probably doesn't exist simply promotes real truth.
I take offence to you "Liberals want to institute a new set of evils" quote in your sig. it is demeaning to others such as i.

I am Agnostic and you are Josephidian. I am myself and you try to be who you think another was and what is best for you. is this not true? Don't be such a meani. what kind of messages are you talking about?
Please continue to display your ignorance. It is quite amusing.

Luminous

non-existential luminary
Please continue to display your ignorance. It is quite amusing.
I am Agnostic; my inability to understand what the hell you're talking about is far more noble than your false statements.
*Deep Breath*... In anycase, how am i not to remain ignorant if you are so clearly agnostic yourself.

Last edited:

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
That is not what I am referring to. That sign is not really condemning or purposefully insulting.
Apparently, the web site it advertises is worse, but the atheist ads weren't condemning or purposefully insulting either, so what's the problem?

The examples I gave are actually bill boards I saw driving to Florida once. The "Hell is REAL!" is meant to try and scare people into believing in Christianity. Kind of the "Hell fire and brimstone" approach that never works as is unethical, imo.
Yeah, I don't like those either. And I don't think they're comparable to these atheist ads.

Why not?

What magazine was it in?
Dunno. I just did a Google image search for LDS ads.

And I fail to see where that add is meant to purposefully offend someone else or try and tell someone that their beliefs are wrong or stupid. Its simply promoting our Church in a friendly manner, where is the problem with that?
Peddling the LDS Church as the cure for grieving families? I think that's awful. And if the LDS Church is "truth restored" it rather implies that non-LDS means "non-truth", doesn't it?

Apex

Somewhere Around Nothing
Apparently, the web site it advertises is worse, but the atheist ads weren't condemning or purposefully insulting either, so what's the problem?
We differ in opinion.

Yeah, I don't like those either. And I don't think they're comparable to these atheist ads.
Again, we differ in opinion.

If they were responding to an insulting add with another insulting add, I could see it. I would not support it, but I would not really oppose it either.

Dunno. I just did a Google image search for LDS ads.
Then there is a 99.9% chance it was a LDS magazine, such as the Ensign, that is written for a LDS audience and is distributed soley to LDS members. This makes your analogy inapplicable.

Peddling the LDS Church as the cure for grieving families? I think that's awful.
Aside from your personal opinion, see above.

And if the LDS Church is "truth restored" it rather implies that non-LDS means "non-truth", doesn't it?
If you wish to read this into it then yes. But that is not the intent and trying to say so is disingenuous. This also shows a lack of understanding of our belifes. We do not believe "non-LDS" means "non-truth". Insinuating we do is dishonest.

gnomon

I think the overwhelming protests by religious believers against the religious ads over the years shows why the atheist bus campaign is wrong.

Ha!

It's sobering to see that the whole campaign started by someone who took offense to following a website on a Christian advertisement and read about all the hellfire goodness. Rather than wage a campaign to remove all religious advertisements from buses she decided to merely wage a campaign to raise the awareness of humanism and atheism.

The horror.

Apex

Somewhere Around Nothing
How exactly do you find the ad to be either condemning or purposefully insulting?
I consider them so because they are not simply sharing a belief, they are trying to purposefully tell another group of people what they believe in is fake. Why go around telling others "there is probably no God", if you do not believe in something why broadcast it? It seems they are merely doing this to try and get a rise out of Christians. Then there is the part about "stop worrying", they are trying to tie a negative connotation to the belief in God. However, I believe this matter really comes down to opinion.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
I consider them so because they are not simply sharing a belief, they are trying to purposefully tell another group of people what they believe in is fake. Why go around telling others "there is probably no God", if you do not believe in something why broadcast it? It seems they are merely doing this to try and get a rise out of Christians. Then there is the part about "stop worrying", they are trying to tie a negative connotation to the belief in God. However, I believe this matter really comes down to opinion.
Ah. I took a completely different meaning from it.

To start with, because I knew it was a response to those Christian ads, I figured that the intended audience was the same: i.e. non-believers (mainly non-Christians) that Christian groups are trying to convert.

I don't think the intent was to rile up people who are set in their faith; I think it was more intended to ease the mind of people who had now started to worry that they might be hell-bound for not believing in Jesus or the like... potentially also people who felt duty-bound to stay in a church they didn't really believe in.

IOW, I think the ad was directed to people who are worrying, just as the ad itself suggests, and it tells them to stop worrying and why.

challupa

Personally, I am really quite sick of seeing religious ads plastered all over the place. However, no one in the religious community seems to think there is anything wrong with it. So I don't see anything wrong with agnostics or athiests putting up ads that reflect their beliefs. You say you find it insulting. Well did you ever stop to think that maybe they find it insulting to have to read things like "If you don't give your life to Jesus you won't have life"?? To me there is no difference.

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
I think it was terribly enlightening.

It's awe inspiring to see the majority faith get all riled up over the free speech of a minority.
It really shows you how little society has advanced in some ways.

wa:do

darkendless

Guardian of Asgaard

Christians bring across that without God we are empty, without God we are not the best people we can be. How negative is that? Its like an ultimatum. They exploit Jesus in order to show those of us who are not a part of such an elite congregation are somehow worse off, just like the atheist advertisement. Christian ads ive seen are not sharing a belief, its like recruiting the spiritually weak/confused.

Apex

Somewhere Around Nothing
Personally, I am really quite sick of seeing religious ads plastered all over the place. However, no one in the religious community seems to think there is anything wrong with it. So I don't see anything wrong with agnostics or athiests putting up ads that reflect their beliefs. You say you find it insulting. Well did you ever stop to think that maybe they find it insulting to have to read things like "If you don't give your life to Jesus you won't have life"?? To me there is no difference.
You must have missed some of my previous posts. Pleas go back and read the ones about some of the Christian signs I have seen and my opinion of them.