• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

To kill or not to kill

Popeyesays

I think one should realize first-off the bat that The Ten Commandments do not say: Thous shalt not kill", at least in the original Hebrew. The commandment says "Thous shalt not murder." There's a difference. A soldier in the pursuance of the duties of a soldier does not murder, though he may kill.

Regards,
Scott

ChrisP

Veteran Member
Popeyesays said:
I think one should realize first-off the bat that The Ten Commandments do not say: Thous shalt not kill", at least in the original Hebrew. The commandment says "Thous shalt not murder." There's a difference. A soldier in the pursuance of the duties of a soldier does not murder, though he may kill.

Regards,
Scott
I was wondering how the original Hebrews would have reconciled that with all the wars they were involved in before the Romans messed EVERYONE up.

Thanks Scott!

syoonsh

You know what, I am living in a condo that noises from upstairs. I've called security

and sent letter to them, but noise has been reduced just little but not complete.

I want to kick his ***, but in the meanwhile, I will file complaint and probably go to

court with them.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
How would I react. No idea. Like many non-Americans I don't own a gun, nor would I know how to use one. My mood would play a large factor. If I was my usual bubbly self I would prolly hit 911 and start looking for a window. If I was ticked off over something... it is very hard to say.

Would I kill them? No. Certainly not intentionally.

Frankly I am at the age where I feel like attacking, but I realize that I could not withstand a drawn out fight, say, against a drugged young person. I'd rather make silly faces at the person from the safe side of the dock in a court of law.

Guns dont solve anything.

jeffrey

†ßig Dog†
I read where that in England, you stand a better chance of having your home broke into while someone is home, compared to the U.S., where a burgler would have a much better chance of getting shot.

ChrisP

Veteran Member
YmirGF said:
Would I kill them? No. Certainly not intentionally.
Hehe, the second you begin violence the possibility of someone dieing, intentionally or not is there. It's something you accept when you raise your fist or draw your sword.

I'd still draw my sword. Why are they in this home menacing it's family. That's something you have to take into account when you break in.

ChrisP

Veteran Member
jgallandt said:
I read where that in England, you stand a better chance of having your home broke into while someone is home, compared to the U.S., where a burgler would have a much better chance of getting shot.
That's because the Brits like a cup of tea and a fire more than the Yanks.

Britains a Civilised country doncha know? :D

Snowbear

Nita Okhata
ChrisP said:

The same ones that killed the residents to civilize other countries? :eek:

jazzalta

Popeyesays said:

Regards,
Scott
So in your eyes death through war is okay? What about state sanctioned capital punishment? And didn't the bible Paul supposedly have Christians killed? Moses premeditated the murder of an Egyptian. God himself ordered the death of many throughout the Old Testament, including laws for killing unruly children and cheating wives. I think you can see where this is going.

Popeyesays

jazzalta said:
So in your eyes death through war is okay? What about state sanctioned capital punishment? And didn't the bible Paul supposedly have Christians killed? Moses premeditated the murder of an Egyptian. God himself ordered the death of many throughout the Old Testament, including laws for killing unruly children and cheating wives. I think you can see where this is going.
Killing is not a good thing, but it is not murder in the sense of the Commandment.
I would suggest that the stories of the Old Testament might not be literally true.

I can see where you are going. That's okay, I find evangelical agnostics amusing.

Regards,
Scott

jeffrey

†ßig Dog†
ChrisP said:

Hay, now, my wife IS English! She goes through withdraws without her cuppa of tea! And she cannot stand American tea, especially ice tea!

jeffrey

†ßig Dog†
StewpidLoser said:
The same ones that killed the residents to civilize other countries? :eek:
I think America's record is not to glowing on that issue also. In fact, Me thinks we dem Brits beat. :eek:

ChrisP

Veteran Member
jgallandt said:
Hay, now, my wife IS English! She goes through withdraws without her cuppa of tea! And she cannot stand American tea, especially ice tea!
I like your wife already! Icedtea? isn't he a really bad rapper?

jgallandt said:
I think America's record is not to glowing on that issue also. In fact, Me thinks we dem Brits beat. :eek:
Pffffttt as if ! You've still got 4 continents and 200 years of global empiric rule before you get there mate! Out Brit the brits. sif :p .

I'm not going to count Vietnam, either Iraqs or Somalia because you didn't crush the local populace and subdugate or assimilate them. In and out? Global conquests not a quickie!:seesaw: