• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

To The Jesus Myth Theorist

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist
It seems that emotions are running high on this issue. The best thing we can do here is ask ourselves why. Why I am so attached to an idea? I am doing this right now. If I submit my entire thesis regarding the Josephus forgery on this public forum, then how do I protect that information so that readers can enjoy the arguments which they have paid money for?

What I like to do when I am feeling emotional about an idea or subject is argue against myself, I find it helps quell some of those feelings of attachement.

I find this dodging to be quite funny. You come onto a debate forum, and then refuse to debate because it may take away from sales of a book, that none of us probably were going to buy anyway, as you admit you're not even a scholar.

So basically then, you simply don't have an argument besides wishful thinking? This is what you have done on other topics as well. Why waste our time then? If you're going to just make unsubstantiated claims, and then make the excuse that you can't give out more information because it has to remain secret for your book, why even bother?

And it isn't people getting emotional. You are on a debate forum, debating a topic. You come in and make an unsubstantiated claim, and then when caught, you dodge and make a lame excuse. It is simply is annoying.

Also, I can assure you that no one who buys your book will care if you allow some of the information to slip out on a forum. Scholars often release parts of their work to the public, either in magazines (which can be looked at in nearly every waiting room), or on documentaries, or for free on a variety of websites. That isn't a problem. To suggest otherwise simply is a copout, and shows that really, you have no leg to stand on.

A

angellous_evangellous

Also, I can assure you that no one who buys your book will care if you allow some of the information to slip out on a forum. Scholars often release parts of their work to the public, either in magazines (which can be looked at in nearly every waiting room), or on documentaries, or for free on a variety of websites. That isn't a problem. To suggest otherwise simply is a copout, and shows that really, you have no leg to stand on.

[just for your benefit]

This isn't exactly accurate. IF scholars release anything that a publisher will print, the scholar has to have permission from the publisher to print / otherwise publish any of the material anywhere else. That's why I don't quote from my papers here. AND a publisher wouldn't let me put my own work on my blog.

So when a scholar puts stuff out on other media that will be published soon, the publisher is acting in its own interests.

You are completely right in your post - but there are plenty of situations in which a writer post his / her own work. I only say this because it's wise, very wise, not to discuss your work in detail anywhere online, because if you do, no one will touch you. And I definitely think that I'll see you in print someday.

I find this dodging to be quite funny. You come onto a debate forum, and then refuse to debate because it may take away from sales of a book, that none of us probably were going to buy anyway, as you admit you're not even a scholar.

So basically then, you simply don't have an argument besides wishful thinking? This is what you have done on other topics as well. Why waste our time then? If you're going to just make unsubstantiated claims, and then make the excuse that you can't give out more information because it has to remain secret for your book, why even bother?

And it isn't people getting emotional. You are on a debate forum, debating a topic. You come in and make an unsubstantiated claim, and then when caught, you dodge and make a lame excuse. It is simply is annoying.

I have not dodged, or evaded my initial argument, that being, we do not have 100% proof that Jesus existed as an historical character. Or do we?

Yes I am on a debate forum, but you cannot say that emotions have not been sparked by my assertion!

Fallingblood, you are a magician, I do not care what you, or anyone else thinks of me, or else I would simply fall in line with scholarly consensus instead of asserting that it is possible that the consensus could be wrong, if I do not wish to reveal (2) pieces of information from my books, and this annoys you, then go and have a coke and smile and chill! Really, at the end of the day, what does it matter whether I think that Jesus may or may not have existed as a real person? Why does it mean so much to you that I think and beleive as mainstream scholarship, you and the others on this forum? Seems to be a litte facist to fight so hard and attack so vigorously, someone who disagrees with you, just because you think, or Believe you are right about something!

You are right and I am wrong! There I said it! Jesus was a 100% historical character, no doubts whatsoever! He is as provable as any person we personally know today and can be easily verified and anyone who thinks beyond my newly adopted and narrow paradigm of belief is wrong and I shall join you in abraiding them as fiercely as possible. If you come across anyone who dares question our position regarding the historicity of Jesus, tell me and I will pay for the stones!

I live in Japan and the other day I was discussing this little debate with a Japanese collegue, who said; "why do you Westerners think that your culture and people like Jesus are so important to discuss?"

I think he makes a rather good point, one which could put all of this in a little more perspective!

What can I say to ease your frustration?

[just for your benefit]

This isn't exactly accurate. IF scholars release anything that a publisher will print, the scholar has to have permission from the publisher to print / otherwise publish any of the material anywhere else. That's why I don't quote from my papers here. AND a publisher wouldn't let me put my own work on my blog.

So when a scholar puts stuff out on other media that will be published soon, the publisher is acting in its own interests.

You are completely right in your post - but there are plenty of situations in which a writer post his / her own work. I only say this because it's wise, very wise, not to discuss your work in detail anywhere online, because if you do, no one will touch you. And I definitely think that I'll see you in print someday.

Contracts and Copyright can be sticky things! I am glad you have enough nouse/experience to understand this.

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist
[just for your benefit]

Thank you, I did not know this.

I actually might get a chance to publish some work next fall. My school publishes work from their students, as long as a professor passes it first. And this summer I will be writing a work with the help of a few professors. If all goes right, I will be able to submit my first piece of work this fall.

Thank you, I did not know this.

I actually might get a chance to publish some work next fall. My school publishes work from their students, as long as a professor passes it first. And this summer I will be writing a work with the help of a few professors. If all goes right, I will be able to submit my first piece of work this fall.

I hope it goes well for you. What would you be writing about?

A

angellous_evangellous

I will be able to submit my first piece of work this fall.

Good for you, man. I'll be working on finding a publisher for my dissertation this fall. I really, really hope that something happens so I can get closer to tenure.:beach:

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
Is that really the only possibility you can think of?
Of course not. There is always the possibility that you're a troll who, knowing full well that your mythicist drivel is little more than tiresome nonsense, is nevertheless curious to see how long you can sustain this rehashed topic. But, as with the question at hand, I'd rather deal with probability and reasonable inference - concepts clearly alien to you. Your loss.

Of course not. There is always the possibility that you're a troll who, knowing full well that your mythicist drivel is little more than tiresome nonsense, is nevertheless curious to see how long you can sustain this rehashed topic. But, as with the question at hand, I'd rather deal with probability and reasonable inference - concepts clearly alien to you. Your loss.

So you have the truth and those who disagree with you are wrong?

What do psychologists call that again?