• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

To the Non Believers.

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
I agree about theism but Atheism is very much a religion for many.

If people create a specific set of beliefs and an institution representing those beliefs then you could argue that it is a religion. But atheism as a concept is not a religion in the same way that theism is not a religion yet there are theistic religions. Does that make sense?

ImmortalFlame

Woke gremlin
And I say it is, just as Atheists claim there is no God, I claim many of them are religious zealots trying to stamp out every other world view that competes with theirs, ya know what they accuse the religious of doing.

So, you used a website as justification for your argument that atheism is a religion, and now you've found out that it does not agree with your position you disregard it and act as if it's only your opinion that matters and suddenly you don't care what the website says.

Hilarious.

Last edited:

Archer

If people create a specific set of beliefs and an institution representing those beliefs then you could argue that it is a religion. But atheism as a concept is not a religion in the same way that theism is not a religion yet there are theistic religions. Does that make sense?

I did not say all atheists were religious zealots. I clarified that many times through this thread. I will put it this way Atheism is a growing religion, all atheists are not part of this movement.

Archer

So, you used a website as justification for your argument that atheism is a religion, and now you've found out that it does not agree with your position you disregard it and act as if it's only your opinion that matters and suddenly you don't care what the website says.

Hilarious.

I was looking at the definitions. It would not be the proper thing to do if I just posted the parts that made me look good. Remember every one of those definitions had the original source so I did not need provide a link. I am not like many atheists here who don't deal with everything and only post out of context quotes. I know that the article did not support me but the definitions did.

Archer

So now whether or not something is a religion is determined by the layout of a website made by people that adhere to it?

Scraping the bottom of the barrel.

No, the Atheists have no real defense other than to say it ain't so. All I have heard is denial but the facts is that by some definitions Atheism is a religion.

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
I did not say all atheists were religious zealots. I clarified that many times through this thread. I will put it this way Atheism is a growing religion, all atheists are not part of this movement.

Ah, and you are making the difference using capital A. I had not noticed.
I think that there are certinly atheists who have an agenda against religion. However without a specific set of beliefs and dogma I would call them a group, not a religion.
There are certainly atheistic religions. Buddhism is a great example of that.

ImmortalFlame

Woke gremlin
I was looking at the definitions. It would not be the proper thing to do if I just posted the parts that made me look good. Remember every one of those definitions had the original source so I did not need provide a link. I am not like many atheists here who don't deal with everything and only post out of context quotes. I know that the article did not support me but the definitions did.

The definitions which they use to state that atheism is not a religion. Sorry, but those definitions do not support you. You clearly used a source you did not fully understand, took the part of it you agreed with and disregarded the rest, and when I revealed to you that the website does not agree with your position you changed the subject and disregarded it.

Also, can you quote one example of an atheist on these forums using an out-of-context quote to support their views?

crocusj

Why is it a constant believer bashing around here?

Why? Are you looking for understanding of what is incomprehensible to you?
Are you missing something in your life and feel that you must make others like you?

I have heard religion blamed for everything but the people are individuals and think for themselves. I say don't blame the faith or the believers just take it out on the individuals.

Please explain to me why the constant attack on religion.

Perhaps it all comes down to opportunity. For millennia the influence of religion was such that any unbeliever (suspected or otherwise) was subjected to a fate considerably worse than an internet scolding. Torture, rape and murder still continue in the name of religion in many countries today. The holy books revered by many religious people contain many god induced tortures, rapes and murders. Gods of religion were not averse to carrying out the deeds themselves if humans proved inadequate. Of course the individual should take the blame for his actions but I see no reason that the faith should get off Scot free.
This is merely a forum. It is a metaphorical bashing. Outwith theocracies there are continuing arguments and indeed court cases as to whether an atheist should be allowed to hold public office, oversee children's groups or even vote. Creationism seeks to enter the science class. Religion seeks to enter the law. There are 26 unelected bishops in the House of Lords. Religious leaders whether in a secular country or otherwise are often both outspoken (except when child abuse is on the agenda) and intolerant in their views and their influence is always greater than their mandate.
So, why do I attack religion? Is it because of an insulting reason such as "Are you missing something in your life and feel that you must make others like you?" No, I attack religion because I can. It was not always so and if most religions had their way that would still be the case.

AxisMundi

E Pluribus Unum!!!
Bull!!! You can say all you want but denial is as much as admittance at times.

Archer, the site IS full of BS.

It's yet another Christian site meant to bash Atheists, and exhibits little to no knowledge of the subject whatsoever.

If you wish to make a point, post something from an Atheist site that supports your opinion.

Amill

Apikoros

What if a theist didn't affiliate with any specific group of believers... They just simply believed in a personal god. Would "theism" be their religion in that case?

AxisMundi

E Pluribus Unum!!!

Such is a failed attempt to "even the playing field" by attempting to equate Atheists and Theists.

Note I said "failed".

A religion, clearly in the context that you are using it, means a complete belief system centered around a deity figure and whose doctrines and dogma have been laid out in a literary work thought of as either the direct words of said deity and/or divinly inspired by said deity.

Atheists do not meet any of these criteria, and uttering such clear appeals to emotion fallacies only opens one to ridicule by perfectly illustrating the depths of intellectual dishonesty one is willing to sink to to substantiate their opinions.

Archer

What if a theist didn't affiliate with any specific group of believers... They just simply believed in a personal god. Would "theism" be their religion in that case?

Perhaps, but I am speaking on a larger scale. There are atheists that do not adhere to anything that is of a group nature. They do not push their opinion as fact to the point of being zealots. They really don't care if another believes in God or not. They know deep inside that they will die and pass to the universe to come back for eternity in many forms (not reincarnation but recycling). They have no fear of death because it is only a part of life. They know that religion for some is a good thing because it keeps them in check. They realize that many believers need the crutch because without damnation hanging over their head they would lack direction and do not have the intelligence to break out of the box of illusions and live as an enlightened person. They know that these people need to have hope or they could be a danger to themselves, turning to drugs and alcohol thereby becoming a threat to society. Many of them actually go to church because of the philosophy that comes from said entity (Church). They follow the principles but do not follow the dogma.

Archer

Atheism isn't a religion just as theism isn't a religion. This really isn't very difficult to grasp...

Now it is in context, get it right and don't twist it. I never said a theist was a member of a religious movement!

Such is a failed attempt to "even the playing field" by attempting to equate Atheists and Theists.

Note I said "failed".

A religion, clearly in the context that you are using it, means a complete belief system centered around a deity figure and whose doctrines and dogma have been laid out in a literary work thought of as either the direct words of said deity and/or divinly inspired by said deity.

Atheists do not meet any of these criteria, and uttering such clear appeals to emotion fallacies only opens one to ridicule by perfectly illustrating the depths of intellectual dishonesty one is willing to sink to to substantiate their opinions.

You failed because you are so set on winning the un-winnable. Nothing you said above applies to what I said because evidently you do not have enough education to know what in context is. Take it in context! (Not for Amill)

Last edited:

RiverSeed

Plodding Along
I have noticed that there is some silliness amongst different views. Feelings get hurt, and people play large ego cards. Threads like this one get made, with someone claiming that others are bashing their religion.

It is not unusual, that when many people come together to discuss their own viewpoint, feelings get hurt. This happens when tempers flare. When people think that they are right, and only they are right.

It is probably best to take a break from the computer and have some tea with a friend for a while when things get to this point.:candle:

My favorite tea is chamomile mixed with honey and ginseng, by the way. ;)

Archer

I have noticed that there is some silliness amongst different views. Feelings get hurt, and people play large ego cards. Threads like this one get made, with someone claiming that others are bashing their religion.

It is not unusual, that when many people come together to discuss their own viewpoint, feelings get hurt. This happens when tempers flare. When people think that they are right, and only they are right.

It is probably best to take a break from the computer and have some tea with a friend for a while when things get to this point.:candle:

My favorite tea is chamomile mixed with honey and ginseng, by the way. ;)

I like Earl Gray personally and then Vanilla Chai, all my tea is Bigelow.

I think I mainly had one point in starting this thread and that was to point out that just because someone believes in god does not mean they need to be labeled. It has evolved.

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
Now it is in context, get it right and don't twist it. I never said a theist was a member of a religious movement!

And I never said that you did...

Another way to say what I did is: Atheism is not a religion for the very reason (that we agree on) that theism isn't a religion.