• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

To What Extent, if ever, are Religions Escapes from Reality?

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
How important, if ever, is a religion's ability to provide an escape from reality? Does escapism ever account for a religion's appeal to at least some people? Do various religions differ in how easily they lend themselves to escapism?

For the purposes of this thread, "escapism" can be defined as anything that someone might use to avoid facing or dealing with their circumstances. And "reality" might be defined as a person's circumstances.

My own notion is that escapism can and sometimes does play a large role in what an individual might get out of some religion -- in the religion's appeal to them. But that some religions more readily lend themselves to escapism than other religions, and some individuals use their religions for escapism more than other individuals.

For instance, I'm under the impression that people who think truth is little more than what feels true to them are more inclined to use their religions to escape reality than people who use much more rigorous means to establish truth.

But what do you think?

BONUS QUESTION: If someone were using his or her religion as an escape from reality -- that is, from their circumstances -- then do you think they would be more or less open-minded about the meaning and importance of their religion's scriptures or teachings? Or would it make any difference at all?

Last edited:

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
By the way, I don't think the possibility that some people might use their religion as a means of escaping from their circumstances to mean that everyone does. Nor do I think that someone who does use his or her religion to escape from reality is necessarily exclusively motivated by that particular usage of their religion -- and doesn't have other uses for it, as well.

Sees

Dragonslayer
Sure the escapism is used to shift perceptions of reality, which is what we see, breathe, taste, etc. Some are under the illusion that objective such and such is actually more than the fluid human collective subjective. There are all sorts of differences in reasons and abilities when it comes to utilizing types of escapism.

CynthiaCypher

If by reality we mean the absurd, meaningless and often brutal aspects of existence, then yes, religion serves as a vital lie which give our lives and our existence meaning and value.

If that is escapism? If so, then yes, religion is a means in which we escape the truths of this reality.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Sure the escapism is used to shift perceptions of reality, which is what we see, breathe, taste, etc. Some are under the illusion that objective such and such is actually more than the fluid human collective subjective. There are all sorts of differences in reasons and abilities when it comes to utilizing types of escapism.

Do you think an individual's use of his or her religion to escape from reality might preclude him or her from using it for other purposes as well?

brokensymmetry

ground state
How important, if ever, is a religion's ability to provide an escape from reality? Does escapism ever account for a religion's appeal to at least some people? Do various religions differ in how easily they lend themselves to escapism?

For the purposes of this thread, "escapism" can be defined as anything that someone might use to avoid facing or dealing with their circumstances. And "reality" might be defined as a person's circumstances.

My own notion is that escapism can and sometimes does play a large role in what an individual might get out of some religion -- in the religion's appeal to them. But that some religions more readily lend themselves to escapism than other religions, and some individuals use their religions for escapism more than other individuals.

For instance, I'm under the impression that people who think truth is little more than what feels true to them are more inclined to use their religions to escape reality than people who use much more rigorous means to establish truth.

But what do you think?

If it is the case that the reality of the human condition is that we are a temporary collection of molecules ordered in a particular way and nothing more whatsoever then I suppose any narrative you come up with above and beyond this is going to be escapism. I think you could level the same critique at most atheists if they start talking about the 'good of the species' (as if it matters!) or some sort of Nietzschean heroism in the face of the void (again, as if it matters!). But if not indulging in escapism means have a horrible experience while we are alive and capable of having experiences, why not? I suspect that some of this style of escapism is likely necessary for sanity.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
If it is the case that the reality of the human condition is that we are a temporary collection of molecules ordered in a particular way and nothing more whatsoever....

Are you implying that's the only thing someone might want to escape from? What about the monthly bills? Their spouse's illness? Their dog's death? The cruelty of their boss?

Gjallarhorn

N'yog-Sothep
“Man is a tragic animal. Not because of his smallness, but because he is too well endowed. Man has longings and spiritual demands that reality cannot fulfill. We have expectations of a just and moral world. Man requires meaning in a meaningless world.”
―Peter Wessel Zapffe

To that extent, all religion is an escape. It's a fundamental aspect of all religion.

brokensymmetry

ground state
Are you implying that's the only thing someone might want to escape from? What about the monthly bills? Their spouse's illness? Their dog's death? The cruelty of their boss?

Why deos your bill matter if you are nothing but a temporary collection of molecules? Why would you use religion to escape from such a mundane consideration? I suppose you could, but look at what religions deal with- ultimate origins, ultimate meaning and purpose, belonging, life after death. These seems to be the primary sorts of questions. Given these major concerns of most major religions it seems reason to infer that the escapism is about something more fundamental than annoying boss. Dog's death and spouse being ill could be considered questions about life after death.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
“Man is a tragic animal. Not because of his smallness, but because he is too well endowed. Man has longings and spiritual demands that reality cannot fulfill. We have expectations of a just and moral world. Man requires meaning in a meaningless world.”
―Peter Wessel Zapffe

To that extent, all religion is an escape. It's a fundamental aspect of all religion.

Even Zen?

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Why deos your bill matter if you are nothing but a temporary collection of molecules? Why would you use religion to escape from such a mundane consideration? I suppose you could, but look at what religions deal with- ultimate origins, ultimate meaning and purpose, belonging, life after death. These seems to be the primary sorts of questions. Given these major concerns of most major religions it seems reason to infer that the escapism is about something more fundamental than annoying boss. Dog's death and spouse being ill could be considered questions about life after death.

Do you really wish to suggest that people don't sometimes deal with, say, a cruel boss by dreaming about how happy they will be in the afterlife? Or that they don't sometimes reconcile themselves to an unhappy life by attending a solstice ceremony? Or by thinking of their next incarnation? What about people who reconcile themselves to a mediocre life by clinging to the notion that, at least, they acted morally as defined in their scriptures?

Last edited:

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.

But what do you think?

Depends on the religion. Some religions stress it less, others more, including that of various methods. The most striking one to me might not be considered escapism in the true sense, but it does happen to qualify for avoiding facing (and thus dealing) with circumstances. That is the blue pill of reality: Existentialism.

brokensymmetry

ground state
Do you really wish to suggest that people don't sometimes deal with, say, a cruel boss by dreaming about how happy they will be in the afterlife? Or that they don't sometimes reconcile themselves to an unhappy life by attending a solstice ceremony? Or by thinking of their next incarnation? What about people who reconcile themselves to a mediocre life by clinging to the notion that, at least, they acted morally as defined in their scriptures?

Alright, but such escapisms are tied up with some sort of basic transcendence from physical reality.

Sees

Dragonslayer
Do you think an individual's use of his or her religion to escape from reality might preclude him or her from using it for other purposes as well?

Well I see it as escaping from the more usual, mundane perceptions of reality more than escaping from reality itself. It's definitely just another part of religion.

Shifts in perception are the beginning of magic and transformation.

CynthiaCypher

Well I see it as escaping from the more usual, mundane perceptions of reality more than escaping from reality itself. It's definitely just another part of religion.

Shifts in perception are the beginning of magic and transformation.

Most of our ritual of initiation are about the transition of the child into adult reality. Religious ritual can be the means in which we ease ourselves into reality and give us the strength to participate in it.

Sha'irullah

رسول الآلهة
If a religion does not permit one to escape reality it is absurd but t the same time absurditie make of reality. Religion is no more truer tha philosophy or mathematics. Mathematics is deemed an objective truthoften times yet it is only relative to human perception.

sandandfoam

Veteran Member

But what do you think?

BONUS QUESTION: If someone were using his or her religion as an escape from reality -- that is, from their circumstances -- then do you think they would be more or less open-minded about the meaning and importance of their religion's scriptures or teachings? Or would it make any difference at all?

Nice subject!

people who think truth is little more than what feels true to them
On the one hand I am this soldier because I consider myself trapped in subjectivity. On the other hand I think Truth is synonymous with God.
Does escapism ever account for a religion's appeal to at least some people?
I think that religion is a raft whose purpose is to help get me across the river of the self. To my mind religion is an escape route from escapism. It a a path towards self-transcendence and an escape hatch from the prison of subjectivity. From the prison of my own mind.

Tumah

Veteran Member
I'm not sure I understand how escapism can be used in conjunction with religion. But I'm a fundamentalist, so I'm sure someone can point out to me a Jewish practice that might be called escapism.
Can I get some examples?

illykitty

RF's pet cat
As with most questions I think it depends on the person's intentions... Like someone having a crappy life thinking that at least maybe the next will be ok. Mine were to find answers to why things are the way they are. Science doesn't answer that, afaik, it only answers how.