• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

To What Extent, if ever, are Religions Escapes from Reality?

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
How important, if ever, is a religion's ability to provide an escape from reality?
How important? It depends if escapism is the goal. But that isn't what religion is intended as. So it would depend upon how amenable it was to someone's desire to escape reality that would make it important to them or not.

Does escapism ever account for a religion's appeal to at least some people?
Of course, just as drinking, watching non-stop television, non-stop partying and friends, conspicuous consumption, workaholism, etc. This isn't about religion, it's about people who escape into anything.

Do various religions differ in how easily they lend themselves to escapism?
Sure, just like certain television shows do, nature programs versus soap-operas, and so on. People who are interested in escapism create ways to escape, be that their religious flavors, or their entertainment programming.

Escapism is a pathology, not what defines a religion.

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
How important, if ever, is a religion's ability to provide an escape from reality? Does escapism ever account for a religion's appeal to at least some people? Do various religions differ in how easily they lend themselves to escapism?

For the purposes of this thread, "escapism" can be defined as anything that someone might use to avoid facing or dealing with their circumstances. And "reality" might be defined as a person's circumstances.

My own notion is that escapism can and sometimes does play a large role in what an individual might get out of some religion -- in the religion's appeal to them. But that some religions more readily lend themselves to escapism than other religions, and some individuals use their religions for escapism more than other individuals.

For instance, I'm under the impression that people who think truth is little more than what feels true to them are more inclined to use their religions to escape reality than people who use much more rigorous means to establish truth.

But what do you think?

BONUS QUESTION: If someone were using his or her religion as an escape from reality -- that is, from their circumstances -- then do you think they would be more or less open-minded about the meaning and importance of their religion's scriptures or teachings? Or would it make any difference at all?

I don't see it as escapism, Its more like politics and business. Yes I can help my town and engage in all things that are happening but I can concentrate on my own life and family if I allow someone that wants to do this to do it. So I elect someone to run my town.

Same with business yes I can run a farm or etc. and produce a product that allows my family general sucess or I can work for someone else and allow them to do all the business requirements and have free time for my life.

With religion, I can worry about all the things I don't know in my life. I can stress about all the negative things in the world or I can support a religion that will work to change it to what I consider better.

We support many things in our lives simply that we can live our lives. We can't take all responsibilities on ourselves and live life.

Politics, Religion, Business, Money are all means to simplify the individuals life so that they can enjoy, accomplish or waste their life as they want. There motive is not to escape the problems but to enjoy the freedom.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
The only escape I see pending would be from this life....and then hell.
I don't think of either one as fantasy.
I consider both as real.....one to the other.

Heaven is the preferred territory.
But I believe the peace of heaven is guarded.

Therefore, if religion is functioning as it should.....
The technique of mind and heart is developing in the practitioner.
When the last hour arrives and the last breath is spent....all is good.

But then again....I don't have a religion.

Within the religion I did once do....
confession and penance did release a state of sin.
But nowadays I think we are held to our faults.

I once did participate in ritual....
But no longer believe the Spirit is drawn by such practice.
I believe the Spirit takes notice of why we do things.
Done for reward the deed is nothing.
Done for the sake of another is all that matters.

And I see no escape for denial.
Denial has it's own reward....here and now.
It will not escape into the next life.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Escapism is a huge part of the appeal - and even of the success in the demographic sense - of many religions. It is not generally speaking healthy, though. Some faiths are essentially social diseases, akin to chemical addiction even.

Some religions have little to offer beyond escapism. Others avoid it, with varying degrees of emphasis and success.

BONUS QUESTION: If someone were using his or her religion as an escape from reality -- that is, from their circumstances -- then do you think they would be more or less open-minded about the meaning and importance of their religion's scriptures or teachings? Or would it make any difference at all?

Like so much else, it varies mainly due to whether the person or group feels a craving for more stability or instead for more freedom of expression.

The point of some religious groups and individual practices is to hide behind their scriptures and teachings, and therefore they will always feel threatened by questioning. But that has a way of backfiring on occasion; people can have the most marvelous of epiphanies when they are too involved with what they ultimately feel to be wrong.

Other escapist faiths, however, are of the "free form" variety, sometimes to the point of mocking coerence and rationality themselves. They go to the other extreme entirely, being completely maleable and arguably being little more than a label of convenience for people who will simply do as they want and create justifications after the choice.

Erebus

How important, if ever, is a religion's ability to provide an escape from reality? Does escapism ever account for a religion's appeal to at least some people? Do various religions differ in how easily they lend themselves to escapism?

For the purposes of this thread, "escapism" can be defined as anything that someone might use to avoid facing or dealing with their circumstances. And "reality" might be defined as a person's circumstances.

My own notion is that escapism can and sometimes does play a large role in what an individual might get out of some religion -- in the religion's appeal to them. But that some religions more readily lend themselves to escapism than other religions, and some individuals use their religions for escapism more than other individuals.

For instance, I'm under the impression that people who think truth is little more than what feels true to them are more inclined to use their religions to escape reality than people who use much more rigorous means to establish truth.

But what do you think?

I think religions absolutely can be used for escapism, both in a positive and a negative manner. To use myself as an example, there are various rituals I'll perform for the express purpose of escapism. It's refreshing to take yourself out of reality from time to time and I don't see those rituals as being all that different from reading a book, meditating, going for a walk while lost in your own head or watching a film.
I should point out though that in this situation the purpose isn't to avoid dealing with reality any more than reading The Hobbit is. It's simply taking a break to refresh yourself before continuing with your life, sometimes with a new perspective on matters.

I would actually argue that being honest about the escapism afforded by certain religious practices is a healthy thing. In fact I would say that to my mind those who follow a religion because it holds "the truth" are misguided and are at risk of missing out on some of the more beneficial aspects of religion.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
There are those 'religions' that posit layers of realities, whose goal is to peel away one's perceived layer or circumstance and wake (escape?) to another, expanded reality.

If extinguishing the world be considered escapism then such religions would be all about escape from reality.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
There are those 'religions' that posit layers of realities, whose goal is to peel away one's perceived layer or circumstance and wake (escape?) to another, expanded reality.

If extinguishing the world be considered escapism then such religions would be all about escape from reality.

Or about an escape to reality, depending on how you look at it. :D

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member

To be clear, they are escaping the world of illusion and awakening to reality.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Escapism is a huge part of the appeal - and even of the success in the demographic sense - of many religions.
How do you support this claim? Can you start with how you define escapism?

I'll start by quoting a dictionary definition, "The avoidance of reality by absorption of the mind in entertainment or in an imaginative situation". To me religion is largely about learning how to cope with reality, not escape it. So give some examples of how it is formed as an "entertainment", a mental diversion, a path of intoxicating oneself as to become escapist. And then see if you can apply the same to any other system outside religion proper and see if it sticks there as well.

nazz

Doubting Thomas
I don't see how religion provides any means of escape from reality or the consequences of one's actions. At least not in this life. What they can provide, or more correctly what spirituality can provide, is a means to deal with reality and the consequences of one's actions by changing one's perspective.

yoda89

On Xtended Vacation
If a religion does not permit one to escape reality it is absurd but t the same time absurditie make of reality. Religion is no more truer tha philosophy or mathematics. Mathematics is deemed an objective truthoften times yet it is only relative to human perception.

I might misunderstand. Yet, what makes religion even close to the truth of mathematics?

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I don't see how religion provides any means of escape from reality or the consequences of one's actions. At least not in this life. What they can provide, or more correctly what spirituality can provide, is a means to deal with reality and the consequences of one's actions by changing one's perspective.

I think there are abundant instances of people escaping from their circumstances through religion. We're escapist animals -- we can and sometimes do escape through all sorts of things: religion, politics, sex, consumerism, sports, sit-coms, movies, etc, etc, etc. To think we don't now and then escape through religion as well strikes me as a rather peculiar notion.

Even the pursuit of an Ultimate Reality -- a reality deemed more real than this one -- can be and sometimes is mere escapism.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
I don't think most people need to escape from reality, as it seems they've never even visited it, let alone been imprisoned by it.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I don't think most people need to escape from reality, as it seems they've never even visited it, let alone been imprisoned by it.

LOL! That reminds me of T.S. Eliot's remark that the average person can tolerate no more than ten minutes of reality at a time.

nazz

Doubting Thomas
I think there are abundant instances of people escaping from their circumstances through religion. We're escapist animals -- we can and sometimes do escape through all sorts of things: religion, politics, sex, consumerism, sports, sit-coms, movies, etc, etc, etc. To think we don't now and then escape through religion as well strikes me as a rather peculiar notion.

Even the pursuit of an Ultimate Reality -- a reality deemed more real than this one -- can be and sometimes is mere escapism.

I was taking "escapism" literally. As in being able to remove oneself (physically) from the situation. I guess monks do that though.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Isn't that a matter of opinion?
Of course. It is the opinion of pretty much everyone who wakes up this way, or rather a way of stating and expressing an actual experience. While we're asleep, it appears reality. But then we wake up and can recognize the difference between sleep and waking. Those that wake up from "normal" reality see it as the same type of distinction, and just as dramatic. You could say "normal" reality is a waking sleep. And then you wake up and know the difference.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Of course. It is the opinion of pretty much everyone who wakes up this way, or rather a way of stating and expressing an actual experience. While we're asleep, it appears reality. But then we wake up and can recognize the difference between sleep and waking. Those that wake up from "normal" reality see it as the same type of distinction, and just as dramatic. You could say "normal" reality is a waking sleep. And then you wake up and know the difference.

After satori, the laundry.