• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Touchy Question

rojse

RF Addict
I am not sure what you mean.

Some abrahamic religions discriminate against other religions, or is that just friendly bickering?

MaddLlama

Obstructor of justice
No, because in general they'll take anybody, and want to take everybody.

This may not be as much the case in Judaism when compared with the other two, but as long as you're willing to put in the amount of work it takes, you can convert to Judaism.

That being said, I do believe that once part of those religions, most, if not all, of their practitioners develop an "elitist" attitude.

Buttons*

Glass half Panda'd
I am not sure what you mean.

Some abrahamic religions discriminate against other religions, or is that just friendly bickering?

Well, you can't become Jewish unless you marry a Jew or you go through a rigorous rite of passage.

You can't be considered "Christian" by other Christians unless you attend Chruch, tithe, and believe certian things about Yeshua

You cant be Mormon unless you do all the Christian things... and then you have to go through Mormon rituals on top of that (I'd pair you guys with Christians, but you know what kind of crap that attracts... I'm sorry!)

You can't be Muslim unless you're willing to sacrifice a ton, and memorize the Quran - or at least a part of it (from what I remember... i'm not totally sure)

In groups that are truly "hooked on faith" they have a way of excluding those who don't quite fit in to a standard. Don't you agree?

MaddLlama

Obstructor of justice
Well, you can't become Jewish unless you marry a Jew or you go through a rigorous rite of passage.

You can't be considered "Christian" by other Christians unless you attend Chruch, tithe, and believe certian things about Yeshua

You cant be Mormon unless you do all the Christian things... and then you have to go through Mormon rituals on top of that (I'd pair you guys with Christians, but you know what kind of crap that attracts... I'm sorry!)

You can't be Muslim unless you're willing to sacrifice a ton, and memorize the Quran - or at least a part of it (from what I remember... i'm not totally sure)

In groups that are truly "hooked on faith" they have a way of excluding those who don't quite fit in to a standard. Don't you agree?

Do you think that these religions are the only ones that require work, and require you to believe certain things before you can declare yourself part of the religion? I would say that all religions require both things to a degree.

Buttons*

Glass half Panda'd
Do you think that these religions are the only ones that require work, and require you to believe certain things before you can declare yourself part of the religion? I would say that all religions require both things to a degree.

I'm not ignorant darling :)

It's not the work that I find to be club-like, but the way in which it's set up.

ayani

i do kind of consider them exclusive, but for different reasons...

for one, they tend to refer back to the same stories and archetypes, and take these as true concerning the whole of humanity, when really these stories refer only to certain people living in smallish areas of western Asia. the examples of these stories are taken to be the truest expression of God's work among people, and this leaves out.... well, the spiritual history of the rest of the world.

Quiddity

UndertheInfluenceofGiants
Club exclusive? :confused:

I'm not entirely sure what you mean by that.

Do you mean they don't "accept" everybody?

If that's the case I don't know a person on earth that is not club exclusive. The only difference is Abrahamic religions is doing what we would do on an individual level. ;)

Buttons*

Glass half Panda'd
*wonders what is club exclusive about Baha'is*

I keep forgetting that yall are Abrahamic... actually, I dont know anything about your faith... sorry about that. I could edit the post to post a disclaimer about Baha'i... but I think that's sort of silly. I'm sure if I looked, I'd find something. (If anyone looks hard enough, they'll find what they're looking for, if ya know what i mean ;) )

Buttons*

Glass half Panda'd
Club exclusive? :confused:
I guess it wont make sense to people who don't view things the way I do... so it'll be difficult for us to be on the same page where this is concerned, I think. I dont know much about religions that aren't Abrahamic. (Go figure huh?) And even then, I admitedly know nothing about Islam (except for the basics and pillars) and Baha'i. The way I see it is this:

When compared to religions that host a more mystical view of life/spirituality. It's a very individual concept. To me, literalist traditions have more of a "club" feel to them. Through history, if you weren't part of this club, you were you in danger of being murdered for your belief or for blasphemy. I'm not a fan of literalistic or organized religion, as many can tell. I just feel as though Abrahamic religions have much more of a division between faiths/denominations than others who focus moreso on enlightenment.

Vic! said:
I'm not entirely sure what you mean by that.
somehow, I dont think you will.

Do you mean they don't "accept" everybody?
in a way....

If that's the case I don't know a person on earth that is not club exclusive. The only difference is Abrahamic religions is doing what we would do on an individual level. ;)
I dont think I'm reading this response right. Could you reword it for me please? :D

MaddLlama

Obstructor of justice
I'm not ignorant darling :)

It's not the work that I find to be club-like, but the way in which it's set up.

Can you elaborate? Because by the way you're describing "exclusive" it could apply to a lot of religions outside the "big 3".

Buttons*

Glass half Panda'd
Can you elaborate? Because by the way you're describing "exclusive" it could apply to a lot of religions outside the "big 3".

Do other religious groups gather once a week to see who showed up and who didnt? :p

(catty, a bit.... but the churches i've been to are all this way) I know it's a big assumption to feel that Mosques and Temples are this way... but I've known people from each religion and their group feels a bit exclusive in this way. What I mean is, the feeling in the description is familiar to me.

I think they're also a bit elitist, as I think you've said before.

I'll have to come back to your question later. I dont think I'm responding the right way.

MaddLlama

Obstructor of justice
Do other religious groups gather once a week to see who showed up and who didnt? :p

(catty, a bit.... but the churches i've been to are all this way) I know it's a big assumption to feel that Mosques and Temples are this way... but I've known people from each religion and their group feels a bit exclusive in this way. What I mean is, the feeling in the description is familiar to me.

I think they're also a bit elitist, as I think you've said before.

I'll have to come back to your question later. I dont think I'm responding the right way.

I think that's more of a social/cultural thing than an inherently religious thing. It's also good to remember that although most people in the western world identify as Christian, it's safe to assume that at least half of those are simply "pew-warmers".

madhatter85

Transhumanist
We believe people will only be judged according to thier knowledge, Hence, if you don't know the truth you can't be judged on it. But... if you have been given the opportunity to know the truth, and you reject it... then it's on your head, or the head of your parents depending on the situation.

We believe the only ones who will go to "Hell" are the ones who knowingly commit sins against thier knowlegde of what they know is right or wrong. so if you're going to knowingly commit sin, you're better off not being LDS because that would make your punishment even greater.

Only thing that's club exclusive about the LDS church is access to Temples, and even alot of LDS members cant even go inside because they are not worthy to enter into them, not being clean and free from sins. which, "No unclean thing can enter into the house of the Lord"

Buttons*

Glass half Panda'd
I think that's more of a social/cultural thing than an inherently religious thing. It's also good to remember that although most people in the western world identify as Christian, it's safe to assume that at least half of those are simply "pew-warmers".

This is true. But even the pew warmers get up in arms about people who aren't Christian. *shrug*

Buttons*

Glass half Panda'd
We believe people will only be judged according to thier knowledge, Hence, if you don't know the truth you can't be judged on it. But... if you have been given the opportunity to know the truth, and you reject it... then it's on your head, or the head of your parents depending on the situation.

We believe the only ones who will go to "Hell" are the ones who knowingly commit sins against thier knowlegde of what they know is right or wrong. so if you're going to knowingly commit sin, you're better off not being LDS because that would make your punishment even greater.

Only thing that's club exclusive about the LDS church is access to Temples, and even alot of LDS members cant even go inside because they are not worthy to enter into them, not being clean and free from sins. which, "No unclean thing can enter into the house of the Lord"
True. I guess the Temple access and sacred marriage and a lot of rituals LDS specific is what I was hinting to. It almost reminds me of Judaism where only the most clean preist could enter the "holy of holies" .... is that what it's based on?