• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trump Assassination Attempt

Saint Frankenstein

Here for the ride
Premium Member
The shooter is dead and at least one, maybe two, members of the audience are dead. This is from the local DA and the news is reporting it right now.

anotherneil

Biden should come out quickly and condemn this violence, and strongly condemn it.
I'm sure he will; it's not in his interest as a political opponent, US president, and individual at the top of responsibility for the security of former presidents & current candidates not to do so.

Saint Frankenstein

Here for the ride
Premium Member
I'm sure he will; it's not in his interest as a political opponent, US president, and individual at the top of responsibility for the security of former presidents & current candidates not to do so.
Still crickets. RFJ Jr gave his statement at least 10 minutes ago. It doesn't take that long to say something. Even Bush Jr has put out a statement supporting the Secret Service for their fast response.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
I am not happy at all with this. If Trump had died in his sleep from natural causes I would breathe a sigh of relief, but assassination is never an answer.

I think the most dangerous aspect of this attempt is that it may have the potential to inspire similarly violent intimidation of people who advocate for various causes. Where would it stop, especially in a country where guns are as widespread as they are in the US? Would activists and political candidates need extreme security measures every time they went out to a rally?

The potential ramifications of this, especially for advocates of minority or unpopular human rights groups who already face a lot of vitriol (and sometimes written threats), are disturbing to think about.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
This is an extremely dangerous precedent, especially considering how polarized American politics currently is.

Biden should be quick to condemn it if he wants to contain the situation before it has a chance of getting further out of hand.
Let's be real here - there's more or less no chance this will not get more out of hand.

Biden will do the honorable thing because that's just his character, but it won't... well, in most respects it won't matter. This is a country that has routinely failed to bother passing even the most common sense and elementary regulation of firearms - which enables things like this to happen. This is a country where one of the political parties has basically committed to refusing to acknowledge the results of elections and the peaceful transition of power if they don't win. And scholars have already acknowledge a disturbing trend that tragic events no longer unite the nation like they used to. This will get worse before it gets better.

Regiomontanus

Eastern Orthodox
Let's be real here - there's more or less no chance this will not get more out of hand.

Biden will do the honorable thing because that's just his character, but it won't... well, in most respects it won't matter. This is a country that has routinely failed to bother passing even the most common sense and elementary regulation of firearms - which enables things like this to happen. This is a country where one of the political parties has basically committed to refusing to acknowledge the results of elections and the peaceful transition of power if they don't win. And scholars have already acknowledge a disturbing trend that tragic events no longer unite the nation like they used to. This will get worse before it gets better.

I live in the state (PA). Sooo many guns here. I see dudes buying groceries with a rifle strapped on their back. Crazy

anotherneil

Still crickets. RFJ Jr gave his statement at least 10 minutes ago. It doesn't take that long to say something. Even Bush Jr has put out a statement supporting the Secret Service for their fast response.
Frankly I would prefer that Biden's too busy right now dealing with this attempted assassination - briefings & updates from Secret Service, etc. than to be worrying about making some sort of superficial statement. Then, after everything has been solved & answered, he and his PR team can focus on making statements.

Right now we have no idea what's going on; is it just a crazy Trump hater, or is something bigger going on, etc.

I'm speaking as someone who has no desire to vote for Biden & I voted for Trump in the last 2 elections.

Laniakea

Not of this world

Do you really think what just happened was related to there not being "even the most common sense and elementary regulation of firearms"?
Try buying a gun sometime and see the red tape you go through in the process.
When Abraham Lincoln was shot, people were more sensible at the time and didn't blame the gun. Too bad thinking has devolved since then.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member

Yes, as I said in post #28, I think the permeation of firearms in the US makes this attempt that much more of a can of worms. Combined with the political polarization, this is an extremely volatile situation.

The next few months and perhaps the subsequent presidential term itself will be even more tense after this.

Laniakea

Not of this world
Frankly I would prefer that Biden's too busy right now dealing with this attempted assassination - briefings & updates from Secret Service, etc. than to be worrying about making some sort of superficial statement. Then, after everything has been solved & answered, he and his PR team can focus on making statements.

Right now we have no idea what's going on; is it just a crazy Trump hater, or is something bigger going on, etc.

I'm speaking as someone who has no desire to vote for Biden & I voted for Trump in the last 2 elections.
Biden won't make any statement until his handlers get it typed up on the teleprompter first.
Considering how Biden has been lately, it would be in his best interest to keep his mouth shut. After he has said so many times that Trump is the biggest threat to democracy and this country, he needs to own up to being at least partially responsible for what just happened. Such rhetoric against a political opponent is incitement of violence, and now the violence he incited has taken place.