• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trump Assassination Attempt

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Yes, as I said in post #28, I think the permeation of firearms in the US makes this attempt that much more of a can of worms. Combined with the political polarization, this is an extremely volatile situation.

The next few months and perhaps the subsequent presidential term itself will be even more tense after this.
I just plan to keep my head down, honestly. I was going to go out and pick up a few things at the store this evening, but am reconsidering that. Not that I live in an unsafe place, but... I don't really need to get more butter right now.

Saint Frankenstein

Here for the ride
Premium Member
Frankly I would prefer that Biden's too busy right now dealing with this attempted assassination - briefings & updates from Secret Service, etc. than to be worrying about making some sort of superficial statement. Then, after everything has been solved & answered, he and his PR team can focus on making statements.

Right now we have no idea what's going on; is it just a crazy Trump hater, or is something bigger going on, etc.

I'm speaking as someone who has no desire to vote for Biden & I voted for Trump in the last 2 elections.
Oh, please. Even a pathetic tweet looks better than silence about it. RFJ Jr has Secret Service detail, too, and he put out a strong response (all presidential candidates do). Even Harris hasn't said a thing. Nothing. Obama even said something.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
I just plan to keep my head down, honestly. I was going to go out and pick up a few things at the store this evening, but am reconsidering that. Not that I live in an unsafe place, but... I don't really need to get more butter right now.

I think that's a perfectly understandable reaction to all of this. I hope you and all other American members here stay safe.

Saint Frankenstein

Here for the ride
Premium Member
Eh, you'll be okay. Let's use reason, now, and not be irrational.

anotherneil

Biden won't make any statement until his handlers get it typed up on the teleprompter first.
Considering how Biden has been lately, it would be in his best interest to keep his mouth shut. After he has said so many times that Trump is the biggest threat to democracy and this country, he needs to own up to being at least partially responsible for what just happened. Such rhetoric against a political opponent is incitement of violence, and now the violence he incited has taken place.
Yes, Biden shouldn't be saying anything about it at the moment, regardless of what his alleged health problems are. It's not his place as POTUS to speculate or express personal sentiment to something that just happened when we don't know what's going on, yet.

And like I said, he's probably tied up right now dealing with this situation. The last thing that ought to be on his mind right now is making statements; later is fine, right now he should be busy managing the situation.

Perhaps it was just that some crazy shooter was motivated by Biden, but there have been a few other attempts on Trump's life before 2020, going back to 2016.

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
After he has said so many times that Trump is the biggest threat to democracy and this country, he needs to own up to being at least partially responsible for what just happened.
Trump is the biggest threat to democracy. That is the truth and it has not changed. And if you think this is going to stop people from pointing it out you are wrong. Trump is a wanna be fascist, he tried to overthrow a fair and free election, he is a convicted felon, an adjudicated rapist, a danger to national security, a danger to the planet.

And I still condemn all political violence.

anotherneil

He's not busy. He's at his vacation home.
Unless he has temporarily turned over power to VP Harris, he's busy or "on-call" 24/7/365.

It doesn't get anyone anywhere to try to pressure or guilt Biden to say something. If that is the rule, then future presidents would be subject to the same pressure & guilt when there's no room or reason for it.

You sound like a high pressure salesperson trying to get someone to buy something before the offer expires.

anotherneil

Does anyone know about any other victims? Was a rally attendee killed? I'm not sure if that's what I'm hearing on the news from interviews with spectators, etc. or what.

Lyndon

"Peace is the answer" quote: GOD, 2014
Premium Member
Oh, please. Even a pathetic tweet looks better than silence about it. RFJ Jr has Secret Service detail, too, and he put out a strong response (all presidential candidates do). Even Harris hasn't said a thing. Nothing. Obama even said something.
RFK is still complaining he can't get a secret service detail

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
Do you really think what just happened was related to there not being "even the most common sense and elementary regulation of firearms"?
Try buying a gun sometime and see the red tape you go through in the process.
When Abraham Lincoln was shot, people were more sensible at the time and didn't blame the gun. Too bad thinking has devolved since then.

That depends on where you live. Here in Maine, getting a firearm just requires passing a background check and that's only if you get it from a licensed dealer.

And it's not as if there are metal detectors between states.

Saint Frankenstein

Here for the ride
Premium Member
Unless he has temporarily turned over power to VP Harris, he's busy or "on-call" 24/7/365.

It doesn't get anyone anywhere to try to pressure or guilt Biden to say something. If that is the rule, then future presidents would be subject to the same pressure & guilt when there's no room or reason for it.

You sound like a high pressure salesperson trying to get someone to buy something before the offer expires.
You do realize that it's someone else who writes all these statements and posts to social media, right? It's not actually him. They usually have PR teams who do this for them. And an attempted assassination attempt on your electorial rival easily overrides whatever else you have on the agenda at the moment.