• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trump commutes sentence of Alice Marie Johnson

Quetzal

A little to the left and slightly out of focus.
Premium Member
President Donald Trump has commuted the sentence of Alice Marie Johnson, a first-time nonviolent drug offender, a week after Kim Kardashian West pleaded her case during an Oval Office meeting with Trump.

Johnson has already served 21 years of a life sentence after she was convicted on charges of conspiracy to possess cocaine and attempted possession of cocaine, according to the nonprofit Can-Do, which advocates for clemency for non-violent drug offenders.

She is expected to be released from prison soon.

"Ms. Johnson has accepted responsibility for her past behavior and has been a model prisoner over the past two decades. Despite receiving a life sentence, Alice worked hard to rehabilitate herself in prison, and act as a mentor to her fellow inmates," the White House said in a statement Wednesday afternoon.
Trump commutes sentence of Alice Marie Johnson - CNNPolitics

Number one, what the actual heck? A life sentence for cocaine? I beg your pardon? Number two, good on Trump for taking the time to discuss prison reform, it is long, LONG over due. In short, this kind of story makes me happy.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Is there evil act this President will not commit!

I've been watching to see if this would happen.
But I'm more interested in seeing general legal
& sentencing reform. And we need to ditch
Clinton's "3 strikes" Crime Bill.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
Trump commutes sentence of Alice Marie Johnson - CNNPolitics

Number one, what the actual heck? A life sentence for cocaine? I beg your pardon? Number two, good on Trump for taking the time to discuss prison reform, it is long, LONG over due. In short, this kind of story makes me happy.

It's disgusting that people get extremely harsh sentences for victimless crimes, whereas rapists and murderers often get away with a slap on the wrist.

Last edited:

Quetzal

Premium Member
I will applaud Trump for this. I just hope it sets a precedent and we'll see more non-violent drug offenders with reduced or commuted sentences.
Me too, especially for weed. There are folks who became over night millionaires where it is legal. Meanwhile, there are people from those same states still serving sentences for possession.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I will applaud Trump for this. I just hope it sets a precedent and we'll see more non-violent drug offenders with reduced or commuted sentences.

At least modern sentencing is more sane. For example I personally know this idiot (and that is not an ad hom):

https://www.heraldnet.com/news/illegally-parked-car-leads-to-major-drug-bust/

When you have 4 pounds of hard drugs on you and you give the cops a fake ID that has the name "Justin Case" you are an idiot. He only got about 7 years for this bust, and that was with a healthy criminal record. I am thinking that he must have flipped on some people to get such a relatively light sentence. That poor woman did not even have any cocaine. In her case " she was convicted on charges of conspiracy to possess cocaine and attempted possession of cocaine," .

Quetzal

Premium Member
Back in the day you could get a life sentence for weed.
Sheesh! We gotta work on that. (BTW, was that during Clinton's admin? I know he was notoriously harsh on drug offenses.)

Quetzal

Premium Member
At least modern sentencing is more sane. For example I personally know this idiot (and that is not an ad hom):

https://www.heraldnet.com/news/illegally-parked-car-leads-to-major-drug-bust/

When you have 4 pounds of hard drugs on you and you give the cops a fake ID that has the name "Justin Case" you are an idiot. He only got about 7 years for this bust, and that was with a healthy criminal record. I am thinking that he must have flipped on some people to get such a relatively light sentence. That poor woman did not even have any cocaine. In her case " she was convicted on charges of conspiracy to possess cocaine and attempted possession of cocaine," .
When something like that goes down, it makes me think they couldn't afford an attorney who knew what they were doing.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Since Jack Johnson was long dead and buried that had very little effect on anyone. I will give him a very minor kudos for that act. This was much more significant.
Now you like 2 things he did.
Before we know it, you'll be wearing a MAGA cap, eh.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
When something like that goes down, it makes me think they couldn't afford an attorney who knew what they were doing.

You need to read the story. An attorney would have done him no good at all. He was parked illegally. A cop investigated and when he asked for an ID he was given one that said "Justin Case". When you lie to the cops they instantly have "probably cause" for further investigation. If he had given a proper ID he would probably have been given a ticket and that would have been it, unless he had other warrants out for his arrest. Big cases are often cracked by very small offenses. It is pretty hard to find a smaller offense than parking illegally.

How do you think that a high powered attorney could have helped him?