• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trump commutes sentence of Alice Marie Johnson

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
Sorry, I won't support this form of denial.
There is nothing to be denied. I occasionally drink alcohol. Who am I harming? I take Tylenol. Who am I harming? If I smoke a bowl of pot that someone brought here from Michagan, Colorado, or California, who would I be harming?

Stanyon

WWMRD?
Even for a full O a life sentence is excessive.

I'm a little torn on this one, yes it does seem a waste of taxpayer money to keep her locked up for the full term and she did already serve 21 years however it does appear she was part of a drug ring and not just someone looking for a good time that got caught. We have seen over and over the death and destruction the drug trade has caused in our society so taking that into consideration a life sentence does not seem unreasonable.

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
How much cocaine was she trying to buy? Life seems excessive for an 8 ball.
I don’t think she was buying or selling, She was passing messages for drug dealers.

Let’s not get confused here. She did commit a crime, a serious crime. She was facilitating drug deals. I think she deserved jail time. But certainly not a life sentence without possibility of parole for a first offence. Even the 20 years she did serve seem excessive.

Stanyon

WWMRD?
I don’t think she was buying or selling, She was passing messages for drug dealers.

Let’s not get confused here. She did commit a crime, a serious crime. She was facilitating drug deals. I think she deserved jail time. But certainly not a life sentence without possibility of parole for a first offence. Even the 20 years she did serve seem excessive.
I can see the idea of first offense for some crimes but when you are involved with gangs and drugs first offense many times simply means it's the first time you got caught.

BSM1

What? Me worry?
I can see the idea of first offense for some crimes but when you are involved with gangs and drugs first offense many times simply means it's the first time you got caught.

Well...yeah...that could be said about any crime.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
You made a claim.
I wonder about its basis.

"Prison sentences for rape are not uniform. A study made by the U.S. Department of Justice of prison releases in 1992, involving about 80 percent of the prison population, found that the average sentence for convicted rapists was 9.8 years, while the actual time served was 5.4 years." -Wikipedia

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
Perhaps it will get people that can do something about this to review some more cases. There clearly are some people that were over sentenced. A public acknowledgment of this, which I do have to give Trump credit for, is the first step in fixing these problems.

If you or I bemoaned the fact that there was such injustice it would not to much good. But when the president does perform such an action reform is much more likely.

No. Like you guys don't get it. This is the same so-called president who pardoned a sailor who admitted to being found guilty for taking classified pictures of a submarine. This is the same guy who claims he could pardoned himself. I'm not impressed, his failures as a president will always overshadow what he has done in his presidency. I mean you guys can praise the man for bringing back 7lb 8oz baby Jesus back and I'd still wont be impressed.

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
Too many. But we have to start somewhere. Getting the executive branch to even look at individual crime cases is pretty rare.

I agree we have to start somewhere. However, I do not think this was a decision done in a place of good or of moral quality but meant to draw attention to himself, not prison reform. I guess you guys haven't learned about the Eagles situation. This isn't about bringing attention prison reform, this is about #45's decision to do things so in the end he can say "see, Obama didn't do this I did!" this is totally a decision based on "me, me, me, me, me, me, me, me.."