• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trump commutes sentence of Alice Marie Johnson

BSM1

What? Me worry?
Like charity from a corporation. They aren't doing it to be nice or for the good of others, no corporate entity in existence has given to charity for the sole reason of giving to charity. They do it for tax cuts, maybe the do it in order to get more funding or appear that they are spending it for charity but re-purpose it unde the table. Example, friend works for a law firm, law firm had some charitable 6 month long deal helping inner city kids, they guy in charge of this said program had $200,000 budget to facilitate the project. But they rented some run down community center, the interns did most of the teaching and community service with the kids, and used already existing office supplies.

They may have actually spent tops $20,000, they got a tax cut for the 200k they spent though, what happened to the rest of the money? Bonuses for the execs in charge? the ones that literally during that 6 months never even saw one of those kids in person.

Charity is a look good reason to launder money and appear to be something better than you actually are. The only time charity counts in my book is when it happens on an individual basis.

What difference does it make why you give? Can you give 20 grand?

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
I wonder if in the back of his mind Pence wishes for Trump's downfall so that he can step in. I can't imagine such a fundie having a sincere like of Trump beneath the surface.
I don't know. A few things during Trump's campaign, especially dissing a a gold star family, would be the end of the road for Trump and the Conservative Fundamentalists would eviscerate, impale, and crucify Trump over it. Those same fundamentalists are also pretty big into humility, something Trump does not possess. But he continued to gain their support. Trump boasting his military academy experience over actual military training and experience, claiming he knows more about ISIS than the generals, Trump was over all silent when it came to religion but clearly displaying enough of a disrespect towards the military that I thought for sure Conservatives would say no more. But, apparently, it takes a black man getting down on his knee when the announcer said "please stand" to get that fundie rage over being anti-American going.

BSM1

What? Me worry?
It matters not one iota how much you give, but if you did it for the sole purpose of a tax break or get a bonus check then I wouldn't call it charity. I'd call you scum instead.

I never mention how much, I asked what difference does it make WHY you give. So somebody wants to be recognized, or applauded, or wants a tax break--so what? That donation spends just as easily as any anonymous gift. I don't think I've ever seen one charity turn down a donation from someone just because they're an a**hole. Maybe you might want to reexamine your priorities when it comes to helping those in need.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Like charity from a corporation. They aren't doing it to be nice or for the good of others, no corporate entity in existence has given to charity for the sole reason of giving to charity. They do it for tax cuts, maybe the do it in order to get more funding or appear that they are spending it for charity but re-purpose it unde the table. Example, friend works for a law firm, law firm had some charitable 6 month long deal helping inner city kids, they guy in charge of this said program had $200,000 budget to facilitate the project. But they rented some run down community center, the interns did most of the teaching and community service with the kids, and used already existing office supplies.

They may have actually spent tops $20,000, they got a tax cut for the 200k they spent though, what happened to the rest of the money? Bonuses for the execs in charge? the ones that literally during that 6 months never even saw one of those kids in person.

Charity is a look good reason to launder money and appear to be something better than you actually are. The only time charity counts in my book is when it happens on an individual basis.
Unless one has actually seen the company's books & tax return,
one really can't know what happened from 3rd hand criticisms of it.

Shad

Veteran Member
It matters not one iota how much you give, but if you did it for the sole purpose of a tax break or get a bonus check then I wouldn't call it charity. I'd call you scum instead.

So my question is do you claim charity donations on your taxes? If so could the same charge not be leveled at you?

Cacotopia

Let's go full Trottle
So my question is do you claim charity donations on your taxes? If so could the same charge not be leveled at you?
No I don't, even if I could I can't cause I don't live in America currently.
I never mention how much, I asked what difference does it make WHY you give. So somebody wants to be recognized, or applauded, or wants a tax break--so what? That donation spends just as easily as any anonymous gift. I don't think I've ever seen one charity turn down a donation from someone just because they're an a**hole. Maybe you might want to reexamine your priorities when it comes to helping those in need.

you realize the made 180k for themselves, paid 20k to charity but got tax cut for 200k? That's fraud. I am willing to gamble that this is a regular behavior amongst corporations that know how to manipulate the tax system.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I don't know of any charitable deduction that would give one a net gain. Now there may be shame donations where one is credited with more than they donated. I do believe that the Clintons may have been guilty of that with some of their clothing donations. And if any of Trump's donations aided his own businesses they need to be looked at again. But aside from that it is pretty hard to be "scum".

Cacotopia

Let's go full Trottle
I don't know of any charitable deduction that would give one a net gain. Now there may be shame donations where one is credited with more than they donated. I do believe that the Clintons may have been guilty of that with some of their clothing donations. And if any of Trump's donations aided his own businesses they need to be looked at again. But aside from that it is pretty hard to be "scum".
There are many kinds of scum out there, dead beat dads, women that seek to get preggers for the sole purpose of suing for child support claims from wealthy people, as thy have the paperwork prepared beforehand, rapists, mass murderers, serial killers, pedophiles, there are plenty of fantastically horrid actions people can commit to be called scum.

Faithofchristian

Yeah, and to hear liberal democrats call President Donald Trump a racist, Yeah it sure looks like it.

Alice Marie Johnson thanks Trump for 'second chance,' tells Fox News faith kept her strong
By Paulina Dedaj | Fox News
694940094001_5795009470001_5795004150001-vs.jpg

Alice Johnson reacts after Trump commutes prison sentence

Alice Johnson is freed from prison after 22 years; she and her lawyer react on 'The Story' after President Trump commutes her sentence.

Alice Marie Johnson, the woman whose life sentence was commuted by President Trump this week, promised the commander in chief: “I will make you proud.”

Cacotopia

Let's go full Trottle
What's your take on Trumps proposition of pardoning himself, since you think he is so selfless too.

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
A lot of Trumps charitable donations were just allowing a charity event to use one of his golf courses.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
A lot of Trumps charitable donations were just allowing a charity event to use one of his golf courses.
And that was pretty self serving. He probably deducted at the highest charged rate. That is the sort of deduction that needs to be monitored. The deduction should be based on actual costs and not on maximum potential profit.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
then why ask the amount? if you don't think the amount matters........
I didn't think so because of.....
It doesn't appear to pass IRS muster to take a charitable deduction
for $200K when only 1/10th was actually spent on the charity.
I've given in that range, & know the IRS has very strict rules .