• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trump commutes sentence of Alice Marie Johnson

Quetzal

A little to the left and slightly out of focus.
Premium Member
You need to read the story. An attorney would have done him no good at all. He was parked illegally. A cop investigated and when he asked for an ID he was given one that said "Justin Case". When you lie to the cops they instantly have "probably cause" for further investigation. If he had given a proper ID he would probably have been given a ticket and that would have been it, unless he had other warrants out for his arrest. Big cases are often cracked by very small offenses. It is pretty hard to find a smaller offense than parking illegally.

How do you think that a high powered attorney could have helped him?
I was referring to Johnson, sorry.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I'm still not impressed. You know how many people sitting in prison with similar sentences?
Perhaps it will get people that can do something about this to review some more cases. There clearly are some people that were over sentenced. A public acknowledgment of this, which I do have to give Trump credit for, is the first step in fixing these problems.

If you or I bemoaned the fact that there was such injustice it would not to much good. But when the president does perform such an action reform is much more likely.

Quetzal

A little to the left and slightly out of focus.
Premium Member
I'm still not impressed. You know how many people sitting in prison with similar sentences?
Too many. But we have to start somewhere. Getting the executive branch to even look at individual crime cases is pretty rare.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
Number one, what the actual heck? A life sentence for cocaine?
Drug sentencing has always been severely disproportionate to the crime and harm done. Really, the idea isn't rehabilitation but keep the jails and prisons full. And a large chunk of the inmate population (been awhile since I've looked it up so I don't remember the exact amount) are in for nothing more than non-violent drug possession laws, and that has been ongoing since at leas the early 20th century.
(BTW, was that during Clinton's admin? I know he was notoriously harsh on drug offenses.)
Clinton had the "three strikes" rule. But decades ago (60s/70s) the penalty for even pot was stupid harsh.
DW5ggX8WsAEidfD.jpg

BSM1

What? Me worry?
Sheesh! We gotta work on that. (BTW, was that during Clinton's admin? I know he was notoriously harsh on drug offenses.)

Heck, no...I'm talking "the day". Woodstock, Jimi, etc.. that day!

There were countries I found myself in at the time that would execute you for possession (not Muslim countries necessarily, btw).

Kangaroo Feathers

Yea, it is written in the Book of Cyril...
This is true, but long journeys start with a single step and all that. We can appreciate Trump's actions in this instance while still being mindful that there is a lot of work to do still on this issue.

Kangaroo Feathers

Yea, it is written in the Book of Cyril...
Perhaps it will get people that can do something about this to review some more cases. There clearly are some people that were over sentenced. A public acknowledgment of this, which I do have to give Trump credit for, is the first step in fixing these problems.

If you or I bemoaned the fact that there was such injustice it would not to much good. But when the president does perform such an action reform is much more likely.
I wonder if Trump's recent falling out with Sessions has anything to do with this?