• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trump is safe following shooting at Florida golf course; suspect detained

Pogo

You claimed in post 89 "Haitians are known to eat cats". What facts support this claim?

Any further dodging of this question is an admission that what you said was false.
An interesting addendum, I just asked Chat GPT who retracted their statement about Haitians eating cats and got an surprising (maybe) answer.
\
Who was it that retracted their statement about Haitians eating cats?

ChatGPT said:

The person who retracted a statement about Haitians eating cats was Donald Trump. In 2010, during his presidential campaign, Trump made a controversial comment implying that Haitians eat cats. This statement faced significant backlash and was criticized for being racist and insensitive. He later retracted the statement, acknowledging the backlash and clarifying his position.

Didn't know he was running in 2010 so says something for GPT as well.

We Never Know

No Slack
Do the original facts stop being facts because someone says that the story was debunked?

First they have to be shown to be facts.
A poster on FB that posts she heard from someone who heard it from someone doesn't make it fact.(I believe that's what I read about the cat story)

People can use the internet to do their own research on many things.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Sure. Haitians are known to eat cats.

It was said to be debunked because it wasn't a first-hand report. Anything to make Trump look bad.
Christians are known to rape children.
(BTW, there's much evidence for this claim,
unlike the accusation that Haitians eat pets.)

If your claim means Haitians should be deported,
then should Christians be also deported?

Last edited:

Ebionite

First they have to be shown to be facts.

THE ORIGIN OF THE CAT- AND DOG-EATING HAITIAN MYTH​

But how did it start?

This might have started with a Springfield Facebook group's post which had gone viral, reports CBS News.

The post discussed how a person said a neighbour's daughter's friend could not find her cat, and it was found later hanging from a branch close to a Haitian neighbour's home, reported Springfield News-Sun.

A poster on FB that posts she heard from someone who heard it from someone doesn't make it fact.
Actually it does. Hearsay is a fact, meaning that it is a fact that people were talking about a claim, not that the claim was necessarily true.
Of course being hearsay doesn't make the claim false, either.

We Never Know

No Slack
An interesting addendum, I just asked Chat GPT who retracted their statement about Haitians eating cats and got an surprising (maybe) answer.
\
Who was it that retracted their statement about Haitians eating cats?

ChatGPT said:

The person who retracted a statement about Haitians eating cats was Donald Trump. In 2010, during his presidential campaign, Trump made a controversial comment implying that Haitians eat cats. This statement faced significant backlash and was criticized for being racist and insensitive. He later retracted the statement, acknowledging the backlash and clarifying his position.

Didn't know he was running in 2010 so says something for GPT as well.

Being there was no presidential election in 2010 its says a great deal about GPT.

Ebionite

Wow. Literally "People saying it makes it true".
Unsurprisingly, you're misrepresenting what I said.

What I wrote was "Hearsay is a fact, meaning that it is a fact that people were talking about a claim, not that the claim was necessarily true."

I told you refusing to answer the question would be an admission that what you said was false
You saying it doesn't make it true. Go look up "delusional" in a dictionary.

ImmortalFlame

Woke gremlin
Unsurprisingly, you're misrepresenting what I said.

What I wrote was "Hearsay is a fact, meaning that it is a fact that people were talking about a claim, not that the claim was necessarily true."
What was said was: "A poster on FB that posts she heard from someone who heard it from someone doesn't make it fact."

The "it" in this statement obviously referring to the CLAIM, not the EXISTENCE OF THE CLAIM.

You responded: "Actually it does".

Your language is the language of someone who can't actually own up to making false claims. I ask again: Do you not understand the difference between "It is true that people are saying it" and "What people are saying is true"?

You saying it doesn't make it true.
No, you not answering the question does. That's an admission.

Go look up "delusional" in a dictionary.
I did. It says "a person who believes random BS on the internet, like Facebook posts, are factual reporting, and makes claims as fact without ever being able to provide any evidence whatsoever".

I'm paraphrasing.

Let's make this as crystal clear as possible, for both our benefit:

Do you believe that Haitian people are eating cats in Springfield, Ohio, YES or NO?

Ebionite

Whether the story itself is fact or not is what is being disputed.
OK, all that I have to suggest that the original claim is untrue is the fact that the claim is not politically correct because it is positive for Trump and negative for Harris.

To suggest that the claim is true there is the general immigrant problem in Springfield and the eating cats being part of Haitian culture.

ImmortalFlame

Woke gremlin
OK, all that I have to suggest that the original claim is untrue is the fact that the claim is not politically correct because it is positive for Trump and negative for Harris.
How about the fact that there is absolutely no evidence whatsoever that the claim is true? That suggests quite strongly that the original claim is not true.

To suggest that the claim is true there is the general immigrant problem in Springfield
How does that suggest it's true that said migrants are eating cats, exactly?

and the eating cats being part of Haitian culture.
Do you have any actual evidence of this, or of it happening in Ohio? Yes or no?

ImmortalFlame

Woke gremlin
No, what you said was: Wow. Literally "People saying it makes it true". Your #168.
Read what I wrote properly next time.

Now you're attempting to deflect with an irrelevant quote.
I was directly quoting what you were responding to, and showed very clearly what it intended to mean and how you misrepresented it.

This strategy isn't going to work. Again:

Do you believe that Haitian people are eating cats in Springfield, Ohio, YES or NO?

Pogo

No, you don't get to make admissions on my behalf.
FYI, a couple of actual articles on the source of the rumor about the Springfield cat napping. There is no evidence that it actually ever happened. The rumor that it blew into and Trump's repetition of it is ridiculous.

SPRINGFIELD, Ohio — The woman behind an early Facebook post spreading a harmful and baseless claim about Haitian immigrants eating local pets that helped thrust a small Ohio city into the national spotlight says she had no firsthand knowledge of any such incident and is now filled with regret and fear as a result of the ensuing fallout.

Now I know from experience that none of these denials will change your mind, but for everybody else, here they are.

We Never Know

No Slack

To suggest that the claim is true there is the general immigrant problem in Springfield and the eating cats being part of Haitian culture.
Here's what's I am saying.

If I go on social media and post I heard from Bill, who heard from Bob that Ebionite ate a dog.

Does that make it true/fact?