• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trump kicked off Colorado ballot

McBell

Admiral Obvious
Three Democratic appointed state Supreme Court judges in Colorado agree with me and wrote scathing dissents. Most legal experts agree the Supreme Court will overturn Colorado’s ruling. I’m confident I’m on sound legal ground.
Giuliani and his lawyers thought they were on sound legal ground.
That is, until they lost.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
His attorneys got to argue his case before the court. How many times do I have to say this? He was represented. If they sucked, it is not the court's fault.
It's a violation of Trumps right not to be convicted twice under double jeopardy laws.
How many times do you need to be reminded of that?

Twilight Hue

The kind of due process you are referring comes from common law. It protects people from being imprisoned or having their property taken from them by the state. It has nothing at all to do with this situation.

If there is part of the U.S. Constitution that the Colorado Court violated, please quote it.
The Colorado Court violates double jeopardy laws as outlined in the 5th Amendment of the Constitution.

On top of it, Trump has already been indicted in the People's Court of New York for a March trial on the same charge of insurrection.

Wandering Monk

The Colorado Court violates double jeopardy laws as outlined in the 5th Amendment of the Constitution.

On top of it, Trump has already been indicted in the People's Court of New York for a March trial on the same charge of insurrection.
I have asked you before, and you didn't respond. Where is the double jeopardy?

Watchmen

Premium Member
Did YOU read the dissents? Do you have a crystal ball or something to say it will be overturned? Do you have legal training?
Yes. I read the dissent. Yes, I have a crystal ball in the form of the numerous legal experts I’ve read on the issue. Yes. I have legal training.

Your turn.

Twilight Hue

I suppose you're totally ignorant to the fact that this is the same charge here, as the one that will be in New York.

I really don't know how to help you in that category

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
There was no trial.
There was literally a 5-day trial.

Trump wasn’t even a party to the lawsuit and had to intervene.
... which he did. He had representation at the trial.

I’m not asking for a change. I’m saying Colorado overstepped what it can do.
This case was about how the Secretary of State of Colorado should interpret and apply the Colorado Election Code. How could it possibly be an overstep?

Twilight Hue

I suppose you're totally ignorant to the fact that this is the same charge here, as the one that will be in New York. The charge of being associated in an insurrection.

Watchmen

Premium Member
There was literally a 5-day trial.

... which he did. He had representation at the trial.

This case was about how the Secretary of State of Colorado should interpret and apply the Colorado Election Code. How could it possibly be an overstep?
Not a trial of Trump. He had to intervene. An overstep by denying due process.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Three Democratic appointed state Supreme Court judges in Colorado agree with me and wrote scathing dissents.

And they're in the minority. Precedent-setting court decisions often have "scathing" dissents... and hold up anyway.
Most legal experts agree the Supreme Court will overturn Colorado’s ruling. I’m confident I’m on sound legal ground.
Well, we'll see.

You do acknowledge that even the original overturned ruling found that Trump engaged in insurrection, don't you?

Wandering Monk

I suppose you're totally ignorant to the fact that this is the same charge here, as the one that will be in New York. The charge of being associated in an insurrection.

There were no charges in Colorado against Trump! It was a question of eligibility to be on the ballot based on a finding of fact that he engaged in insurrection. HE HAS NOT YET BEEN CHARGED WITH INSURRECTION or any other criminal act in Colorado! AFAIK, no one in New York has challenged his eligibility under the 14th Amendment. I think you are confusing cases.

We Never Know

No Slack
The Colorado Supreme Court has ruled that Trump disqualified for ballot in Colorado. It will likely go on to the US Supreme Court next.

Even though Trump is this own worst enemy. The dems can't beat him unless he is removed from ballots.

Colorado is a blue state. Other blue states may/will follow suit. That is reality.

Wandering Monk

Even though Trump is this own worst enemy. The dems can't beat him unless he is removed from ballots. That is reality.
Dems beat him in the popular vote in the last two elections, and Dems have beat nearly every candidate he has endorsed since 2020. They are also winning nearly all special Federal elections. Trump is poison.

Twilight Hue

There were no charges in Colorado against Trump! It was a question of eligibility to be on the ballot based on a finding of fact that he engaged in insurrection. HE HAS NOT YET BEEN CHARGED WITH INSURRECTION or any other criminal act in Colorado! AFAIK, no one in New York has challenged his eligibility under the 14th Amendment. I think you are confusing cases.
He's already indicted for the crime. Can you be indicted twice for the same crime? No.

There's only one case here. What Insurrection are you referring to here other than January 6th?

Colorado is in a partisan attack by partisan activists, using partisan judges, and committing election interference.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Yes. I read the dissent. Yes, I have a crystal ball in the form of the numerous legal experts I’ve read on the issue. Yes. I have legal training.

Your turn.
I strongly doubt any of those legal experts agree with your suggestion that Trump would need to have the equivalent of a criminal trial to be ineligible to run again.

All the opinions I've seen saying that the US Supreme Court may overturn this decision hinge on ideas like:

• Whether "preserve, protect and defend the Constitution" implies "support the Constitution", or
  • Whether the decision about ineligibility should happen now or later (e.g. by Congress raising an objection during the Electoral College vote count).

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Even though Trump is this own worst enemy. The dems can't beat him unless he is removed from ballots.

Colorado is a blue state. Other blue states may/will follow suit. That is reality.
I do worry that there could be blowback from this: Republicans prevented from voting for Trump in the primary choose a candidate who's actually competent, who attracts back enough of the people repelled by Trump to take the election.