• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trump using hurricane Helene devastation for political aims, lies about the administration

Will the hurricane damage affect the election?

• It will help Trump

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • It will help Harris

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • It won't have any effect

Votes: 3 27.3%
  • It will hinder voting and the effect will be incidental and unpredictable

Votes: 7 63.6%

• Total voters

anna.

colors your eyes with what's not there
DeSantis lacks even the most basic Judeo-Christian/humanitarian morals going by his words and actions.

I fear for the people of Florida under his 'care.'

John Morales: his emotional update on Hurricane Milton: "I apologize, this is just horrific"

anna.

House Speaker Mike Johnson: There's No Rush For Congress To Approve Hurricane Relief

House Speaker Mike Johnson (R-La.) said he won’t call Congress back into session early to fast-track emergency funding for hurricane victims, arguing that there’s no rush since “it takes a while to calculate the actual damages.”

“We’ll be back in session immediately after the election,” he said in an interview with “Fox News Sunday.”

. . . .

President Joe Biden had asked lawmakers to hasten the approval of about $1.6 billion in federal funding towards the Small Business Administration’s disaster loan program, which Biden said will run out of funding in weeks.

His request follows Hurricane Helene causing widespread destruction in North Carolina, South Carolina, Florida and Georgia. A second major storm, Milton, was forecast Monday to hit Florida’s Gulf Coast as a Category 4 storm this week.

“I warned the Congress of this potential shortfall even before Hurricane Helene landed on America’s shores,” Biden said in a statement on Friday.

“I requested more funding for SBA multiple times over the past several months, and most recently, my Administration underscored that request as you prepared a continuing resolution to fund the Government.”

F1fan

Veteran Member
House Speaker Mike Johnson: There's No Rush For Congress To Approve Hurricane Relief

House Speaker Mike Johnson (R-La.) said he won’t call Congress back into session early to fast-track emergency funding for hurricane victims, arguing that there’s no rush since “it takes a while to calculate the actual damages.”

“We’ll be back in session immediately after the election,” he said in an interview with “Fox News Sunday.”

. . . .

President Joe Biden had asked lawmakers to hasten the approval of about $1.6 billion in federal funding towards the Small Business Administration’s disaster loan program, which Biden said will run out of funding in weeks.

His request follows Hurricane Helene causing widespread destruction in North Carolina, South Carolina, Florida and Georgia. A second major storm, Milton, was forecast Monday to hit Florida’s Gulf Coast as a Category 4 storm this week.

“I warned the Congress of this potential shortfall even before Hurricane Helene landed on America’s shores,” Biden said in a statement on Friday.

“I requested more funding for SBA multiple times over the past several months, and most recently, my Administration underscored that request as you prepared a continuing resolution to fund the Government.”

It's as if Republcians don't want to be re-elected.

If Republicans are acting this way in an effort to affect the election it is a new low. And why would they do this when the press will see what is going on and report it? Because conservatives don't use reputale media. And Republicans will lie to the press anyway, and who knows what citizens will believe. Look at Tom Cotton lying this weekend in an interview with Kristin Welker. He's still saying states that changed their rules for the 2020 election did so illegally. Marco Rubio said the latest jobs report was fake in an interview. These people have no integrity.

anna.

It's as if Republcians don't want to be re-elected.

If Republicans are acting this way in an effort to affect the election it is a new low. And why would they do this when the press will see what is going on and report it? Because conservatives don't use reputale media. And Republicans will lie to the press anyway, and who knows what citizens will believe. Look at Tom Cotton lying this weekend in an interview with Kristin Welker. He's still saying states that changed their rules for the 2020 election did so illegally. Marco Rubio said the latest jobs report was fake in an interview. These people have no integrity.

I think we're watching something entirely new developing over these last few months.

They literally don't care if anyone knows they're lying, and they're actually getting away with it.

F1fan

Veteran Member
I think we're watching something entirely new developing over these last few months.

They literally don't care if anyone knows they're lying, and they're actually getting away with it.
I worry that if Trump loses and tries to pull some more election fraud that many of these people will stand by and do nothing, and by doing nothing I mean that as not standing in the way of Trump's fraud. I really don't know how all this is going to end. Harris needs to win big to make these guy's cheating unworkable.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Some of them know. They knew back in 2017. They just don't care, the trade-off is worth it to them.

I'm sure such Magas exist.
But my personal experience with friends who are Magas
is that they're entirely unaware of claims being lies.

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Thoughts and prayers.
And nothing else. Exactly.

As tragic as Helene was and Milton threatens to be, their timing has been fortuitous regarding the upcoming election. Johnson showing his indifference toward getting relief to those in need won't be forgotten in four weeks.

Nor will Trump's interference with the NC disaster relief effort, nor calling it inept, which has local nonpartisan newspapers lambasting him:

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/opinion/article293483114.html
https://thehill.com/homenews/media/4919363-north-carolina-trump-helene-response-harris-fema/

Nor will Desantis' irresponsible unwillingness to take Harris' calls when she calls to inquire about what the state needed, or his snubbing Biden by refusing to be seen with him when surveying damage in Florida recently. These are all headline stories nationally and in their respective states:

Ron DeSantis is refusing to take Harris' call on Hurricane Helene

The point is that it is glaringly obvious that people like Johnson, Trump, and Desantis don't care about people, which isn't news to those who follow the news, but now, those people are in the midst of personal tragedy, and disaster relief is foremost in their minds. People are afraid and angry, and these messages are likely to have the kind of impact on their psyches that they don't ordinarily have. This is hitting them where they live - literally - and as I said, the timing of these hurricanes couldn't have been better. Had they occurred three months ago or three months from now, the psychological impact going into the election would be much less.

Speaking of Florida, I just read this yesterday. Harris has been making inroads in Florida and Texas - probably not enough to win those states, but they both have incumbent Republican senators whose senate races are closer than the presidential races in those states, and she's now apparently so flush with cash that she's spending some in Florida presumably to help upset Scott's reelection chances:

"But in a sign that this is a different kind of election, the Kamala Harris campaign just announced that it’s opening another office Duval County, Florida. This is a swing region that just elected a Democratic mayor in Jacksonville, and is full of moderate voters who could be steered toward voting for Harris over Trump regardless of party lines.​
"What’s notable is that Kamala Harris is opening this office with just one month to go in the election. It’s the latest sign that the Harris campaign is indeed flush with fundraising cash, thanks to the momentum that her candidacy has engendered. But it’s also a sign that the Harris campaign increasingly sees Florida in play – and it may not be just about the presidential race.​
"Polling is often wrong, but polling does show that the Senate race in Florida is closer than the presidential race in Florida. This could be less about Kamala Harris trying to flip Florida for herself (though that would be a nice Electoral College cushion) and more about driving turnout in Florida for Harris in a way that helps Democratic Senate candidate Debbie Mucarsel-Powell to defeat Rick Scott. Such a victory would likely give the Democrats control over the Senate." source

Here's a bit on the Texas senatorial race and a shot at stealing Cruz's seat, who has also been visibly indifferent to his constituents' needs:

Ted Cruz goes off the deep end as Colin Allred gains on him

Alien826

No religious beliefs
Some of them know. They knew back in 2017. They just don't care, the trade-off is worth it to them.

I don't know if anyone watched the 60 Minutes program yesterday? The following is from memory, but fairly accurate I think.

There was a woman on who has organized a group (with a million or so followers) to promote the "stolen election" of 2020. As questioned, she obviously had no hard evidence that any such thing happened, she dismissed 63 court cases Trump lost as "corrupt judges", and the interviewer ended by asking her what was her mandate to make these claims. She responded "My own conviction and <hesitated> I'm on a mission from God".

At that point a light went on for me. She doesn't actually believe or disbelieve what happened in the election, or care. Her mission is to frustrate the "evil leftists" in their attempt to destroy all that is good in this country (as she sees it) and that is so important that any means are justified. That's why any factual refutation of her claims just bounces off like a thrown ball off a wall.

anna.

At that point a light went on for me. She doesn't actually believe or disbelieve what happened in the election, or care. Her mission is to frustrate the "evil leftists" in their attempt to destroy all that is good in this country (as she sees it) and that is so important that any means are justified. That's why any factual refutation of her claims just bounces off like a thrown ball off a wall.

You've nailed it. I'm reminded once again of psychologist and researcher Leon Festinger's words:

"A man with a conviction is a hard man to change. Tell him you disagree and he turns away. Show him facts or figures and he questions your sources. Appeal to logic and he fails to see your point. We have all experienced the futility of trying to change a strong conviction, especially if the convinced person has some investment in his belief. We are familiar with the variety of ingenious defenses with which people protect their convictions, managing to keep them unscathed through the most devastating attacks.​
But man's resourcefulness goes beyond simply protecting a belief. Suppose an individual believes something with his whole heart; suppose further that he has a commitment to this belief, that he has taken irrevocable actions because of it; finally, suppose that he is presented with evidence, unequivocal and undeniable evidence, that his belief is wrong: what will happen? The individual will frequently emerge, not only unshaken, but even more convinced of the truth of his beliefs than ever before. Indeed, he may even show a new fervor about convincing and converting other people to his view."​

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
It's an odd thing, isn't it, that there are laws about "truth in advertising," and yet they don't apply to political statements -- including political advertisements. You are allowed to lie to Americans when vying for high office with awesome powers and responsibilities, just not about whether your battery really does last longer than the competition.

When American consumers see or hear an advertisement, whether it's on the Internet, radio or television, or anywhere else, federal law says that ad must be truthful, not misleading, and, when appropriate, backed by scientific evidence. But only when it concerns products or services -- not when it concerns political promises, or claims about qualifications, including historical performance of the claimant, or the claimant's opponents.

Doesn't anybody wonder why that is?

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
And where do we suppose that people learn to think like that? Aren't those also the ethics of the church, but targeting evil sinners rather than leftists? Look at how the three Trump SCOTUS appointees all lied about their intention to overturn Roe to get confirmed. They consider that pious fraud (they don't call it fraud, but that's what it is), which is OK.

"Pious fraud is used to describe fraud in religion or medicine. A pious fraud can be counterfeiting a miracle or falsely attributing a sacred text to a biblical figure due to the belief that the "end justifies the means", in this case the end of increasing faith by whatever means available."

Doesn't that describe the woman to whom you referred, but in a political rather than a religious context? And doesn't "any factual refutation of her claims just bounces off like a thrown ball off a wall" also describe the fervent Abrahamist?

It's not a coincidence that evangelical Christianity and MAGA are such close bedfellows and overlap so much.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
It's an odd thing, isn't it, that there are laws about "truth in advertising," and yet they don't apply to political statements -- including political advertisements. You are allowed to lie to Americans when vying for high office with awesome powers and responsibilities, just not about whether your battery really does last longer than the competition.

When American consumers see or hear an advertisement, whether it's on the Internet, radio or television, or anywhere else, federal law says that ad must be truthful, not misleading, and, when appropriate, backed by scientific evidence. But only when it concerns products or services -- not when it concerns political promises, or claims about qualifications, including historical performance of the claimant, or the claimant's opponents.

Doesn't anybody wonder why that is?
There used to be a time when American tv broadcasters wouldn't show attack adds, It was more like "Tell us what you are going to do and not how much of a schmuck your opponent is.".

Alien826

No religious beliefs
And where do we suppose that people learn to think like that? Aren't those also the ethics of the church, but targeting evil sinners rather than leftists? Look at how the three Trump SCOTUS appointees all lied about their intention to overturn Roe to get confirmed. They consider that pious fraud (they don't call it fraud, but that's what it is), which is OK.

"Pious fraud is used to describe fraud in religion or medicine. A pious fraud can be counterfeiting a miracle or falsely attributing a sacred text to a biblical figure due to the belief that the "end justifies the means", in this case the end of increasing faith by whatever means available."
That used to be referred to as "lying for Jesus".
Doesn't that describe the woman to whom you referred, but in a political rather than a religious context? And doesn't "any factual refutation of her claims just bounces off like a thrown ball off a wall" also describe the fervent Abrahamist?
She said she was "on a mission from God" (shades of Blues Brothers!), so the connection was not too obscure.
It's not a coincidence that evangelical Christianity and MAGA are such close bedfellows and overlap so much.
Oh yes. Trump used the evangelicals just as he used the racists, fascists and others to further his ends. It makes me smile (ruefully) to hear him trying to back off from his position on abortion, now that it's gone from an advantage to a disadvantage to him. The man obviously has no personal investments in any of the things he uses to stir up his supporters. It's just "what benefits me".

Pogo

Perhaps people need to be reminded about Trump tossing paper towels in Puerto Rico after Hurricane Maria -- everything you need to know about how much Trump gives a damn about people who are suffering.
And FEMA is still involved in rebuilding Puerto Rico, Trump is claiming Helene is the worst response, ain't nothing compared to Trump's response there, but MAGA'ts have no memory or understanding of anything that didn't personally affect them,

Ponder This

What edge? They guy is not in government.
:rolleyes: He is running for the office of President last I checked.

Thanks for backing up how Trump is exploiting the disaster for political purposes.
It didn't help Harris that there have been problems with the FEMA response in North Carolina.

Trump has no authority to do anything, what is he doing going to a natural disaster area except as a distraction from the recovery effort? And look at you completely oblivious to these facts, and indifferent to helping those who have suffered.
Trump has donated and raised money for the relief effort.

Yeah, and the candidates were asked not to come
They were told not to come. :rolleyes: Who's the genius that thought ignoring North Carolina was a good idea?

and Trump gave them the middle finger to exploit the situation. He's gotten negative press in reputable reporting, but probably not in right wing disinformation media.
If showing concern for the affected area is considered to be a middle finger to the Biden-Harris administration, then the Biden-Harris administration has a serious problem. :eyes:

Let's note that Biden and Harris have been very active in getting aid to the affected areas, and setting up communications and medical/food services where it's needed. So far recovery efforts have been praised at prepared.
Unfortunately, many areas have had trouble getting aid or rescue support from FEMA. Even the link you provided points out that residents think the government was not prepared.

Notice your focus is just who got there first as if what is important is this reality tv show race to the disaster area. You didn't say anything about those who are in distress and in need. That's MAGA, and that's why they don't have a place in politics.
Your thread title is literally
"Trump using hurricane Helene devastation for political aims, lies about the administration"
with a poll asking, "Will the hurricane damage affect the election?"
Then you wax on about "disinformation" like you know what's going on, just to parrot smear against Trump.
And you have the audacity to criticize me for replying and answering your thread, which is about the political ramifications of the candidates responses to the disaster? Perhaps you are the one who has no place in politics.

I'm sorry but there is no good reason for Harris to not go earlier - it's not a good move for her politically to wait and delay her response to an emergency of that magnitude. She's too slow to physically go to areas of the U.S. affected by crises. Who is advising the Harris campaign that they didn't immediately tell her she needed to show a strong support for the affected?

This is so basic that either they were caught sleeping or they didn't care.
And Harris has to deal with the hard questions: Why wasn't there a greater response in North Carolina? What about funds that went to illegal immigrants or overseas wars that could've potentially gone to help in North Carolina? What are her priorities in government? That's how it is.