• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trying To Understand Atheism

Shad

Veteran Member
Your mileage may vary, but rather often I find an atheist who openly admits they do not believe there is any reason to believe gods actually exist, but then refuses to accept the logically identical position that they believe there are no gods in the universe. I find this very strange.

Your view is like this as you do not understand terms such a proponent and opponents in claims and arguments. Theists make a claim thus are proponents which must meet the burden of proof. As an opponent I question, attack, poke holes, refuted, etc the proof (logic) and evidence offered. I am rejecting an argument(s) and it's support as insufficient to establish the claim as true. I have no need to put forward a No-God argument as I am not putting forward an argument as a proponent but as the opponent that is rejecting an argument. The burden of proof is still on the theist not me nor my rejection.

If an atheist sees no reason to believe in gods, why would they not believe the universe has no gods, or that this outcome is more likely?

Simple. Many do not jump to speculative answers as quickly as theists do when faced with a question that can not be resolved objectively or as an absolute. Negative atheism is not a worldview like positive atheism or theism. It leaves these type of questions unanswered as it does not propose a system from which everything has an explanation. For the positive atheist and theist all explanation are either nature or god, nothing more. Some of us state we have no idea for these unresolved questions. It is something most humans hate which is uncertainty. We like answers no matter how far fetched these answers are.

To me it always seemed like a burden of proof game, avoiding belief to avoid having to support your position. But am I missing a way where you can believe gods are unlikely but don't believe the universe is godless? I mean the only other option I can see besides neutrality or ignorance is that there is evidence for gods, so they likely exist.

Many atheists are neutral as in they reject the argument(s) used to support God's existence rather than put forward a gnostic point that God does not exist. They are skeptical atheists.

An issue with your comment is that you leave God undefined. Are we talking about the Christianity, Islam, Hinduism, etc, etc? You may identify the philosophical God with the religion you follow but this becomes an unstated or hidden premise which others are not aware of. For example you asked someone they believed in God and they replied with a "yes". You are assuming that they hold the same concept of God as you. Lets say your concept of God includes the Trinity. However this person is a Muslim thus rejects the Trinity so they do not believe in your concept of God, they in fact reject it completely. Thus this "yes" becomes dependent upon on information withheld or simply a response to a malformed question.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Atheism in any meaningful sense is the disbelief in God, not the failure to enunciate theism.
Theism and atheism aren't just about "God-with-a-capital-G." They're about gods... all of them.

There are way more god-concepts that have been sincerely believed by humanity than any one person has ever even heard of, let alone considered enough to say "that doesn't exist."

If you've come up with a way to disbelieve in gods as a category, I'd love to hear how you did it.

Otherwise just about anything, animate or not, could be logically called an atheist.
If you have managed so far not to refer to rocks as vegetarians, I have confidence that you can manage not referring to them as atheists either.

It's simple, by the very act of identifying yourself as an atheist you are making a real claim about what you believe.
Don't you think it's rather presumptive for you to argue that you know what I'm trying to say better than I do?

(And it's obvious that in our culture atheists overwhelmingly assume some kind of naturalistic worldview).
They frequently go together, but not always... and a non-materialist atheist is still an atheist.

Think of it like the relationship between theism and monotheism: I could probably count the number of theists I've met in real life who weren't classical monotheists (or close to it) on one hand. Nevertheless, I recognize that polytheists, pantheists, polypandeists, etc., etc. are all theists, too.

Weaselling around this by pretending that declared atheism isn't a claim about anything simply doesn't fool anyone. It's not convincing to anyone who doesn't share your philosophical agenda. (And by agenda I don't mean it in any conspiratorial sense).
What claim do you think I've made about the countless god-concepts I haven't even heard of?

What claim do you think I've made about the god-concepts that have been explained to me so incoherently that I couldn't figure out what the person was actually claiming? How do you say "that's false" to something when you can't really tell what "that" is supposed to refer to?

Why would I decide that a god-concept is necessarily false just because someone argued for it illogically?

There are very few god-concepts that I flat-out reject as false. For the other ones I've heard of, my position is only "I'm not convinced" - I haven't seen reason to believe yet while not completely excluding the possibility that a reason might exist out there somewhere. For the god-concepts I've never heard of (i.e. the vast majority of god-concepts, I take no position at all.

And likewise pretending that materialist worldviews don't hold moral, philosophical and ideological implications for the said atheist is also the height of denial or dishonesty.
I never said they don't hold these sorts of implications. Individual atheists hold all sorts of views that have significant implications in all these areas. They just vary from atheist to atheist.

The only one that I can think of that's common to all atheists is this: an atheist doesn't rely on the existence of gods. This has fairly major implications in a theist-dominated society.

Agreed. Where we disagree is that I assert all atheists in effect do both. Essentially, I'm saying that there is no such thing as a suspension of belief. There's only assent or rejection. Of course, assent and rejection can be tentative. An atheist could be open to changing his mind, as I have never said that disbelief must be absolute. But nonetheless, if you call yourself an atheist you have made the cognitive decision to make a rejection. It is not a lack of belief, it is a belief.
Again with the presumption. Tell me that I'm using the word wrong if you like (you'd be mistaken, but do it if it makes you happy), but don't presume to tell me what I mean.

ArtieE

Given your definition, I don't see how that is at all a logical necessity. It's an arbitrary clause to escape the logical wall of your own construction.

If you just admit atheism as the disbelief in God
Never said otherwise. The definition of disbelief is "inability or refusal to accept that something is true or real...
synonyms:incredulity, incredulousness, lack of belief"

A weak atheist lacks the belief that gods exist and lacks the belief that gods don't exist. A strong atheist lacks the belief that gods exist but has the belief that gods don't exist. Please learn the difference.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
As theism is an assent to an idea (the existence of God) a theist must have cognition. If it isn't sentient, it can't assent.

If however atheism is nothing more than "not-theism", if it is but an absence of any notion of or belief in God, then why would sentience (or utter lack of it) have any relevance?
All someone needs to do to be a vegetarian is not eat meat.

All someone needs to do to be a non-smoker is not smoke.

All someone needs to do to be a civilian is not be in the military.

None of these terms necessarily imply sentience either. Do you go around calling rocks and trees "vegetarians" or "civilians"?

Further, etymology doesn't mean all that much considering that there was a time when originally (even among those who actually spoke Greek) atheism meant the denial of the state gods, or at least the pretence to their worship, so Christianity under pagan Rome was considered atheistic. In brief "muh -a" isn't a real point.
- at that time, religion was looked on mainly as a matter of ritual. With a physical practice, you either do it or you don't. There is no middle ground.

- since we don't call Christians (or other members of minority theistic religions) "atheists" any more, I'm sure you can recognize that this definition is obsolete.

- even under that definition, atheism wasn't something that required intellectual assent. A child of a Christian family would have been considered an "atheist".

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
A weak atheist lacks the belief that gods exist and lacks the belief that gods don't exist. A strong atheist lacks the belief that gods exist but has the belief that gods don't exist. Please learn the difference.
I dislike the terms "weak atheism" and "strong atheism" for a few reasons:

- they portray atheist attitudes toward gods as a binary thing, but any given atheist will normally be a weak atheist to some gods (e.g. the ones he's never heard of), a strong atheist to some (e.g. the ones that are defined in a self-contradictory way) and in between for others (i.e. "I can't say with perfect certainty that the god you describe doesn't exist, but I'd put money on "not exist").

- it focuses the discussion on the conclusion, not on the justification for the conclusion. What I care about is whether a conclusion is justified. I'm not going to accept a conclusion if the only arguments I can find for it are irrational nonsense even if I can't rule out the possibility that the conclusion just happens to be coincidentally true for reasons that never occurred to the person trying to convince me.

ArtieE

I dislike the terms "weak atheism" and "strong atheism" for a few reasons:

- they portray atheist attitudes toward gods as a binary thing, but any given atheist will normally be a weak atheist to some gods (e.g. the ones he's never heard of), a strong atheist to some (e.g. the ones that are defined in a self-contradictory way) and in between for others (i.e. "I can't say with perfect certainty that the god you describe doesn't exist, but I'd put money on "not exist").
So? We are all aware of these subtleties and after a person has identified himself as a weak or strong atheist we can go into details.
- it focuses the discussion on the conclusion, not on the justification for the conclusion. What'd I care about is whether a conclusion is justified. I'm not going to accept a conclusion if the only arguments I can find for it are irrational nonsense even if I can't rule out the possibility that the conclusion just happens to be coincidentally true for reasons that never occurred to the person trying to convince me.
When a person has identified himself as a weak or strong atheist just ask for justification.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
So? We are all aware of these subtleties and after a person has identified himself as a weak or strong atheist we can go into details.
But I'm not just a weak or strong atheist. I'm "weak" with respect to some gods, "strong" with respect to some gods, and in between with respect to some gods.

When a person has identified himself as a weak or strong atheist just ask for justification.
I think you missed my point. Often, an atheist will make a judgment about arguments for a god rather than about the god itself.

We ought to be more concerned with the question "is belief in this god justified?" than with "could this god exist?" The second question ends up going down rabbit holes about the potential for people to end up at councidentally correct conclusions for bad reasons; this is useless. The time to believe a claim is when it has been justified.

ArtieE

But I'm not just a weak or strong atheist. I'm "weak" with respect to some gods, "strong" with respect to some gods, and in between with respect to some gods.
I don't think it would be very practical if everybody had their own definition of atheist where they list all the gods they don't believe in and to which degree they don't believe in them. Much better with just weak and strong as a starting point for further discussion.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
I don't think it would be very practical if everybody had their own definition of atheist where they list all the gods they don't believe in and to which degree they don't believe in them.
Depends on the context, but I agree: generally not practical. That's why it's better to just say "atheist".

Much better with just weak and strong as a starting point for further discussion.
Which you can't really do, because very few people are cleanly in one category or the other.

Which is even less informative than weak or strong atheist. And that's an improvement?
Let's be honest here.99.999% of the time this weak/strong divide is directed towards some variation of hypno-toad..err I mean the abrahamic god.

But I guess even that is an ever growing category of god-concepts rather than a singular one.

ArtieE

Yes: accuracy without detail is an improvement over more detail but inaccuracy and oversimplification.
If a person tells me he's a weak atheist I know he neither believes gods exist nor believes gods don't exist. If he says he's a strong atheist I know he believes gods don't exist. If he just says he's an atheist that's less informative.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
Belief in anything, that is thinking something is true without evidence, is illogical, flawed and quite likely delusional.

Say we have two hypothetical entities A and B. In order for A to be suggestive evidence for B, when B is not observed, there must have been a point in time when A and B were observed such that there is a statistical link between A and B. For example, a TV is not suggestive evidence of happy little elves. Thus there isn't even any suggestive evidence for God.

According to the Socratic method of hypothesis elimination, until there is contradictory evidence to a proposition then it could be true, but there is no reason to believe it is. Atheists are logically consistent in their approach.

i enjoy socratic questioning but socrates was no atheist.

Glaurung

Denizen of Niflheim
Theism and atheism aren't just about "God-with-a-capital-G." They're about gods... all of them.
I know, but it is superfluous to the discussion to make the distinction. Would adding an "S" in brackets really add anything?

If you've come up with a way to disbelieve in gods as a category, I'd love to hear how you did it.
Do you "lack a belief" concerning the god who pulls the sun by chariot? Or rather, do you categorically disbelieve that there's any such thing going on? Yes, if you hold a naturalistic view of reality you categorically deny the supernatural whether you admit it or not.

If you have managed so far not to refer to rocks as vegetarians, I have confidence that you can manage not referring to them as atheists either.
Rocks don't consume anything, but they do have an absence of theism. I have actually seen atheists argue this point. Babies are atheists because they aren't cognitively developed enough to believe in anything, and since atheism is "not-theism" they are atheists. So why is it when I say the same thing, but instead to point out the absurdity of the position, all the sudden I'm the one being ridiculous?

It is an obvious attempt to have things both ways.

Don't you think it's rather presumptive for you to argue that you know what I'm trying to say better than I do?
I know if utter confidence that you, and every single self-identified atheist are anything but non-committal about the god question. I categorically reject any notion of "lacking a belief". Because not only is it nonsensical, the human mind simply doesn't work that way.

They frequently go together, but not always... and a non-materialist atheist is still an atheist.
I know, but it's enough of a correlation that you'd be right ninety-five percent of the time. The vast majority of atheists have predictable naturalistic beliefs.

What claim do you think I've made about the countless god-concepts I haven't even heard of?
You don't need to "know of" every single notion of god that could potentially be out there to disbelieve in any notion of god categorically. You may be open to changing your mind on a particular concept of god should you encounter it, but that does not make you currently devoid of any beliefs regarding whether or not there is a god.

Again with the presumption. Tell me that I'm using the word wrong if you like (you'd be mistaken, but do it if it makes you happy), but don't presume to tell me what I mean.
I presume you are sentiment. You have a concept of god in your head, and you reject that it could exist. I know that with certainty, sorry. My position is that to "lack a belief" is cognitively impossible.

Glaurung

Denizen of Niflheim
ll someone needs to do to be a vegetarian is not eat meat.

All someone needs to do to be a non-smoker is not smoke.

All someone needs to do to be a civilian is not be in the military.

None of these terms necessarily imply sentience either. Do you go around calling rocks and trees "vegetarians" or "civilians"?
Of course not. And I don't call rocks and babies atheists either.

Why?

Because to be a vegetarian is a choice. To be a non-smoker is a choice. To not be in the military means to have chosen not to join the military. (Or be refused, but that's besides the point).

Likewise, to be an atheist is a choice. You have considered the idea of a higher power and have rejected its plausibility. Such is hardly non-commitment no matter how much you insists otherwise. It's not an "absence" of theism, it a rejection of it. No one self-aware has an "absence" of theism, they either assent to it or reject it. Which is why I have been saying this whole time that to define atheism as an absence of theism is nonsense. It is a meaningless word game.

Last edited:

SkepticX

If you just admit atheism as the disbelief in God (to whatever degree of conviction) then you avoid the problem altogether. It is also not only much simpler, it is actually descriptive of something meaningful. But of course, doing so would be inconvenient for the narrative of many atheists, which is that their position is one of non-commitment. (Which quite frankly, is obvious nonsense). And which also brings us full circle to my original post.
One problem with the terminology here is that if you don't allow for the negative atheist position, we don't have a good word for negative atheism. Unfortunately many theists seem to like that setup because it seems to make them feel better about ignoring the position, as if denying a label refuses us the idea behind it. I find that pretty interesting.

But it's not nonsense to be a serious skeptic and accepting uncertainty. That's kinda what human brain owners have to do if they understand their brain very well at all--it's not an option. It's also not nonsense for apatheists to be non-committal about the question of the existence of a god. I agree that a lot of apologists on most sides of these issues tend to fabricate "beliefs" and positions based more upon how competitive they are rather than what their actual beliefs and positions are though. Just due to shear numbers and certain psychological and sociological factors there are far more such apologists in the religion camp though.

jonathan180iq

Because to be a vegetarian is a choice.
So people that don't eat meat for any other reason that a conscious choice to do so aren't vegetarian, in your opinion? What do you call them?

To be a non-smoker is a choice.
People who have never been given the choice to smoke, and so are not smokers by definition and pure luck, aren't non-smokers?

If they don't smoke, but aren't non-smokers, what are they?

To not be in the military means to have chosen not to join the military.
People who can't join the military and people who chose not to join the military are both considered Not-in-the-military, are they not? I mean, they're both, factually, not in the military. They're both civilians, regardless of reasoning.

If they're not in the military, but they're not not-military, what do you call them?

Likewise, to be an atheist is a choice.
If the other three examples don't make it clear enough - you're entirely mistaken here as well.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
I know, but it is superfluous to the discussion to make the distinction. Would adding an "S" in brackets really add anything?
Of course it does. Theism isn't just classical monotheism. Rejecting theism would mean rejecting every single god humanity has ever believed in, not just a single god (or just the group of gods with the name "God"). It's a superhuman undertaking; it isn't just a matter of deciding that one particular church isn't for you.

Do you "lack a belief" concerning the god who pulls the sun by chariot? Or rather, do you categorically disbelieve that there's any such thing going on? Yes, if you hold a naturalistic view of reality you categorically deny the supernatural whether you admit it or not.
The "god who pulls the Sun across the sky of a stationary Earth with a chariot" is one of the gods I actively reject. It's falsifiable and - IMO - has been falsified.

OTOH, there are plenty of gods that are unfalsifiable. For them, all I can say is "your justifications for this god are irrational" or "I see no reason to accept that this god exists."

Rocks don't consume anything, but they do have an absence of theism.
Since they don't consume anything, they don't consume meat. QED.

I have actually seen atheists argue this point. Babies are atheists because they aren't cognitively developed enough to believe in anything, and since atheism is "not-theism" they are atheists. So why is it when I say the same thing, but instead to point out the absurdity of the position, all the sudden I'm the one being ridiculous?
Yes: it's you who are being ridiculous because you're using an obvious double standard. "If an adjective doesn't refer to some sort of thought process, how can I ever figure out how to only apply it to people?!" Give me a break. You figured it out for countless other terms. You can do it again.

It is an obvious attempt to have things both ways.
No, it isn't. The fact that atheism isn't a position doesn't mean that atheists hold no positions. If some specific atheist has rejected your favourite god, feel free to ask him why.

I know if utter confidence that you, and every single self-identified atheist are anything but non-committal about the god question. I categorically reject any notion of "lacking a belief". Because not only is it nonsensical, the human mind simply doesn't work that way.
You don't seem to be listening to me. There's a distinction between atheism, which covers a vast range of positions, and atheists, who each have one specific set of positions.

When I say that atheism is a lack of belief in gods, I'm not saying that any particular atheist has no opinions about gods at all. A person who flat-out rejects every single god would still lack belief in gods.

Basically, anyone who isn't a theist is an atheist. There are infinitely many ways to not be a theist.

As an analogy: if I say that you don't need to live in New York to be an American, this doesn't imply that no Americans live in New York.

I know, but it's enough of a correlation that you'd be right ninety-five percent of the time. The vast majority of atheists have predictable naturalistic beliefs.
And you think that "naturalistic" necessarily excludes gods?

Some naturalists (e.g. me) don't put any limits on what is "natural" other than "that which exists". If someone demonstrated that a god existed for me, my concept of what is natural would expand to include the god.

You don't need to "know of" every single notion of god that could potentially be out there to disbelieve in any notion of god categorically.
I agree. You would just have to define the category well enough that someone could say that everything that belongs to it doesn't exist.

So define the category. Give us a workable definition of the term "god" that we can use to establish a category that we can evaluate. I only have two criteria:

- since theists aren't atheists, your category can't exclude any gods that anyone believes in. Believing in even a single god makes someone a theist, and therefore not an atheist.

- it has to match how we actually use the word "god". You can't invent a special definition of "god" for atheists that doesn't match how we think about gods generally. So, for instance, if your definition would imply that a Muslim who believes in angels is a polytheist, then your definition is wrong.

Can you do it? I've given this challenge to other people before and nobody's been able to do it.

You may be open to changing your mind on a particular concept of god should you encounter it, but that does not make you currently devoid of any beliefs regarding whether or not there is a god.
I have no opinion at all on any of the gods that I've never heard of (i.e. most of them).

I presume you are sentiment. You have a concept of god in your head, and you reject that it could exist. I know that with certainty, sorry. My position is that to "lack a belief" is cognitively impossible.
And my position is that your position is irrelevant. The fact that you keep on putting it forward suggests that you don't understand what I'm telling you.