• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

U.S. Soldier Throws Puppy Off of Cliff

Melancholy

異端者
That was just horrible. :(
I hope it was fake TBH, but if it wasn't it just shows human nature at one of it's base cores.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
The nationality of the soldier has nothing to do with the story other than to provide a detail. Nationality is irrelevant. The guy being a "U.S." soldier doesn't make something like this a "special" incident just because of where he's from, despite what was being implied.

Well, it does actually because soldiers are supposed to be professional, disciplined and honorable. That and they're supposed to represent the nation abroad (where we already have a tarnished reputation).

A

angellous_evangellous

supposed to be professional, disciplined and honorable. That and they're supposed to represent the nation abroad (where we already have a tarnished reputation).

Getting rid of G. W. Bush will significantly help in this area.

Or you could replace Bush with a chimpanzee (prefferably Buttercup) to make equally mad desicions to take the heat of him. In this time you can take him to kindergarten to learn some manners. Its not ok to go to a country and say "I WANT IT DICK!"

Draka

Wonder Woman
Yes, that is a good enough reason to question the nature of the video.

1) It could be made as a prank by US soldiers, using a fake puppy (my hypothesis). After all, (as you note) boys will be boys, and do pranks like this without actually harming anything.

2) It could be (and possibly is) intended to be used as anti-American propaganda, whether fake or real

All that comes off as is that you would prefer not to believe that a U.S. soldier really would do something like that. As if our boys are incapable of being that cruel. When in fact, some of them most certainly are. You would rather believe that an inane video of two guys acting like imbeciles and throwing a puppy off a cliff is a doctored conspiracy thing. When really, if someone were to want to go out of their way to make our soldiers look bad I'm sure they could have come up with something more controversial than this.

Geesh, we dealt with videos of real events like Iraqi prisoners being stripped naked and tortured with bags on their heads by our own soldiers and a puppy being thrown off a cliff is suppose to cause a bad view of our soldiers? We've had much worse that we've really done. Why doctor up something like this?

A

angellous_evangellous

All that comes off as is that you would prefer not to believe that a U.S. soldier really would do something like that. As if our boys are incapable of being that cruel. When in fact, some of them most certainly are. You would rather believe that an inane video of two guys acting like imbeciles and throwing a puppy off a cliff is a doctored conspiracy thing. When really, if someone were to want to go out of their way to make our soldiers look bad I'm sure they could have come up with something more controversial than this.

Geesh, we dealt with videos of real events like Iraqi prisoners being stripped naked and tortured with bags on their heads by our own soldiers and a puppy being thrown off a cliff is suppose to cause a bad view of our soldiers? We've had much worse that we've really done. Why doctor up something like this?

I've already said why.:rolleyes:

Draka

Wonder Woman
I've already said why.:rolleyes:

Which, as I pointed out, in the grand scheme of things, makes no sense.

If it was made up by the guys who made the video in the first place as a prank then they are just as sick and twisted as if they had actually done it.

If it was suppose to be "anti-american propaganda" it's pretty dang lame as far as that would go. Like I said, we've had much worse broadcast that our soldiers are actually guilty of. What does this accomplish in comparison really?

A

angellous_evangellous

Which, as I pointed out, in the grand scheme of things, makes no sense.

If it was made up by the guys who made the video in the first place as a prank then they are just as sick and twisted as if they had actually done it.

If it was suppose to be "anti-american propaganda" it's pretty dang lame as far as that would go. Like I said, we've had much worse broadcast that our soldiers are actually guilty of. What does this accomplish in comparison really?

I disagree. No harm done if there's no puppy, except deceiving weak-minded people.

It probably doesn't accomplish much of anything except people like us talking about it online. Kinda pathetic.

I also agree that it's lame, but several people on this thread have expressed outrage over it - which is exactly the point of propaganda. Until it's proven to be real, I'll reserve judgment.

Mister_T

Forum Relic
Premium Member
angellous_evangellous said:
I disagree. No harm done if there's no puppy, except deceiving weak-minded people.
Perhaps the "strong-minded" would like to back their claims of a doctored video with some proof?

A

angellous_evangellous

Perhaps the "strong-minded" would like to back their claims of a doctored video with some proof?

I don't need proof, merely reasons to suspect it, which I've already outlined. As it is, this video does not adequately demonstrate its authenticity. In other words, I cannot prove that it's not authentic any more than you can prove that it's real - the burden of proof is not on me because I am not asserting that it actually is false, but not accepting it as true.

Mister_T

Forum Relic
Premium Member
I don't need proof, merely reasons to suspect it, which I've already outlined.
If you don't need proof, then I don't need any reason to justify your claims of people being "weak-minded" as being anything other than baseless ramblings.

the burden of proof is not on me because I am not asserting that it actually is false, but not accepting it as true.
If you have a "neuteral stance" on the matter, then perhaps you shouldn't be critiquing others.

A

angellous_evangellous

If you don't need proof, then I don't need any reason to justify your claims of people being "weak-minded" as being anything other than baseless ramblings.

If you have a "neuteral stance" on the matter, then perhaps you shouldn't be critiquing others.

I don't need proof because I'm not the one basing opinions on its reality. No one needs proof to doubt something. :rolleyes:

Mister_T

Forum Relic
Premium Member
I don't need proof because I'm not the one basing opinions on its reality. No one needs proof to doubt something. :rolleyes:
What reality are you basing others being weak-mided people off of?

No, you don't have have to prove anything. But labeling people as weak-minded and not having anything to back it up with appears rather nonsensical.

A

angellous_evangellous

What reality are you basing others being weak-mided people off of?

No, you don't have have to prove anything. But labeling people as weak-minded and not having anything to back it up with appears rather nonsensical.

The purpose of propaganda is to get people to thoughtlessly espouse a particular view, and this is certainly evidence for weak-mindedness. I did not say that anyone here was weak-minded, but we can see on how such scant evidence (a very grainy video that we don't know is authentic) people are calling for the soldier's death (and otherwise becoming angry), and making judgments about the military. If that is evidence for weakmindedness, there is more of that here and in other forums discussing this very topic than there is proof that the video is evidence for an actual incident where a puppy died.

Mister_T

Forum Relic
Premium Member
I did not say that anyone here was weak-minded
You certainly insinuated it.

The purpose of propaganda is to get people to thoughtlessly espouse a particular view, and this is certainly evidence for weak-mindedness. I did not say that anyone here was weak-minded, but we can see on how such scant evidence (a very grainy video that we don't know is authentic) people are calling for the soldier's death (and otherwise becoming angry), and making judgments about the military.
And again, unlike your claim, there is documentation to back up the claim of somebody throwing a puppy off a cliff. There is no reason to believe as of yet, that it's anything but authentic.

Where as you have yet to provide any evidence of a doctored video, other than your own hunches and suspicions, which is hardly proof. Please show us the reality or "facts" from outside sources that has led you to believe this particular incident, is indeed doctored propaganda.

If that is evidence for weakmindedness, there is more of that here and in other forums discussing this very topic than there is proof that the video is evidence for an actual incident where a puppy died.
I think there is more evidence for nonsensical remarks by people who can't back up their claims.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
Yeah, it HAS to be propaganda because the the military can do no wrong. Trust me, you don't need propaganda to make the military look bad. They do a well enough job on their own. Considering the war itself, everything else is just garnish on a plate of fail.
This story appears to have reached mainstream media, so surely (if the allegations prove true) this guy will get his comeuppance.

A

angellous_evangellous

I think there is more evidence for nonsensical remarks by people who can't back up their claims.

So do you assume that the video is authentic?

note: msnbc.com Video Player - MSN notes that several people on the internet are not waiting until the investigation of the authenticity of the video is verified before they start doing stupid stuff, like posting this guy's address and phone number online (which was not done in this forum) and threatening to burn down his house (and I'm sure also kill him).

blackout

Violet.

It probably doesn't accomplish much of anything except people like us talking about it online. Kinda pathetic.

I also agree that it's lame, but several people on this thread have expressed outrage over it - which is exactly the point of propaganda. Until it's proven to be real, I'll reserve judgment.

I hardly see how you can prove any media event "real".
Well sure, the media event ITSELF is real...
but the meaning, cause, intent...
the FOCUS itself
is always and ever open ended.

Most media events are a "mind freak".

Most people simply interpret whatever seems most likely to them.
But that proves nothing.
We all construct realities around what we THINK... we see.
and Ideas around who we choose as authoritative sources.

That is why some (well a very few) of us
reserve judgement on just about everything.