• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ukraine has become a dictatorship, it's official

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
Sympathy for Russia? Really? I see people of Ukraine defending and losing their lives but I don't see "the west" flocking to Ukraine to defend against Russia. I see war profiteers making billions off of arms sales for the cause and war lusting advocates cheering them on but that's about it.
I guess you missed the billions in money and equipment the West has donated to Ukraine. It's kind of a big sticking point lately for U.S. politics. Whether or not some people are making a profit off of that, it's still the west giving aid to Ukraine to defend against Russia. What a weird attempt to defend Russia...

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
Yes, it's also interesting that those who deliver shrill cries for war and scream that Ukraine should stand and defend itself to the last man are all sitting comfortably in the West, far away from the fighting.
It's also interesting that you have to use loaded terms like "shrill cries for war and scream", because it's the only way your claim even has a chance to sound convincing.

When you take that out, you end up with:

Yes, those who support Ukraine defending itself against Russian attempts to conquer it are sitting at home, not part of the fighting.

Notice how it sounds so much different?

Also, this is really dishonest. It's not a new tactic. "Oh, you think they should do X? Then why aren't you there fighting with them?"

I don't have to actually go fight to have an opinion on the war and to point out facts about it. You think they should broker peace. Why aren't you over there doing that?

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
A key difference is that I'm calling for peace - an end to the killing. My proposal saves lives, while your proposal continues the slaughter. It's true that I live in peace as I type this from behind a computer, and I wish peace for those who are currently living under the horrors of war.
We're all calling for peace. The difference is you're calling for Ukraine to surrender and for Russia to succeed. The peace we're calling for is for Russia to end its attempt at invasion and leave Ukraine alone. My proposal saves lives too, and it also doesn't allow Russia to get away with invading a sovereign country.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
You may be advocating for the end of the killing, but not for peace. Russia effectively has Ukraine down on the ground with it's knee on Ukraine's neck, and your saying "If Ukraine would just stop struggling and accept its fate, no one else needs to get killed."

Well, if you can think of another way out of the situation without more killing, I'd love to hear your ideas.

lukethethird

unknown member

I guess you missed the billions in money and equipment the West has donated to Ukraine. It's kind of a big sticking point lately for U.S. politics. Whether or not some people are making a profit off of that, it's still the west giving aid to Ukraine to defend against Russia. What a weird attempt to defend Russia...
It's OK, I've been accused of defending Palestine, Iraq, Iran, Afghanistan, Kashmir, Vietnam, Sudan, Yugoslavia, Panama, Venezuela, China, and more. The rhetorical accusations are just as hollow as ever, long on opinion, short on facts, short of any knowledge of recent or past history, and so it goes.

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
It's OK, I've been accused of defending Palestine, Iraq, Iran, Afghanistan, Kashmir, Vietnam, Sudan, Yugoslavia, Panama, Venezuela, China, and more. The rhetorical accusations are just as hollow as ever, long on opinion, short on facts, short of any knowledge of recent or past history, and so it goes.
Yes, that's a good way to sum it up. Your accusations are definitely long on opinion, short on facts and short of any knowledge of recent or any history. I'd think when one got accused of defending things so many times, one might stop and consider why that was happening.

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
You're supporting them here. You've explained that they expand for defense and to create a buffer zone, and that that is understandable given how the mean old west hates them and tries to invade them. Then your solution to the war is to let Russia win. That's support for Russia.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
You're supporting them here. You've explained that they expand for defense and to create a buffer zone, and that that is understandable given how the mean old west hates them and tries to invade them. Then your solution to the war is to let Russia win. That's support for Russia.

McCarthyite tactics do not impress me.

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
McCarthyite tactics do not impress me.
Cool. Not sure why you decided to post such an odd non sequitur, though.

McCarthyist tactics don't impress me either. But back to the following facts:

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Cool. Not sure why you decided to post such an odd non sequitur, though.

McCarthyist tactics don't impress me either. But back to the following facts:

See post #612.

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
See post #612.
I saw it and replied. Now back to the following facts:

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I saw it and replied. Now back to the following facts:

See post #612.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
How about pressuring the Russian invaders to stop their aggressive incursion into a neighboring state and retreat back to where they came from?

Yes, the U.S. and other Western governments have been doing exactly that. It hasn't produced the desired result, so perhaps another tack might be considered.