• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Unforgivable sin?

A

angellous_evangellous

Well, thats a hell of a response considering it's my thread and you have yet to give an answer to THAT question. I wasn't looking for a question for a question, lets just get to the point.

But just for ***** and giggles, I don't have desire either way to go to fictitious places. I also don't care if I ever get to never land, Jurassic park or narnia.

Well, there you go. You don't want to be "barred from ever entering heaven", so it's useless to know the way to attain that status.

A

angellous_evangellous

I also don't care if I ever get to never land, Jurassic park or narnia.

Do you mean "never" instead of "ever?"

I am sure that you can reach all three places with the proper shroom (Jurassic Park may be a bit difficult, but it is possible).

A

angellous_evangellous

I'm currious too. How exactly do you blaspheme correctly?

I had always assumed that renouncing the Holy Spirit-- rejecting Christianity after one had been a Christian-- was what the verses were talking about.

Blasphemy is slander and libel directed towards God. It's quite easy to do.

But to blaspheme in such a way that God will never forgive is a delicate practice. I don't see how a person who doesn't believe in God can truly blaspheme God.

However, a person who doesn't believe in God can set up strawmen and make fun of it as long as they wish as an artless display of misanthopy. :shrug:

However, a person who doesn't believe in God can set up strawmen and make fun of it as long as they wish as an artless display of misanthopy.
This is quite a disingenuous response, as it assumes I have setup a straw man, which I certainly have not. The passages from the gospels in the OP are pretty clear in their meaning, and I don't see how, short of some creative eisegesis, that can be avoided. (other than offering up glib and flippant responses that avoid the subject, as you have been doing)

A

angellous_evangellous

This is quite a disingenuous response, as it assumes I have setup a straw man, which I certainly have not. The passages from the gospels in the OP are pretty clear in their meaning, and I don't see how, short of some creative eisegesis, that can be avoided. (other than offering up glib and flippant responses that avoid the subject, as you have been doing)

It's not my fault you can't intelligently engage your own topic. :shrug:

A

angellous_evangellous

Hah. It has become clear you are not interested in any kind of honest discussion. If all you are going to do is avoid the subject and engage in ad-hominem arguments, you can kindly get lost :)

But you don't want discussion.

You just want people to agree with you.

sandy whitelinger

Veteran Member
Hi Sandy.

The thing is, if blasphemy against the holy spirit is 'unforgivable', wouldn't that mean once it's done there can be no forgiveness?

Wouldn't it be a one way door from which you can not return?

And if not, how can those passages be read otherwise?
you're misunderstanding the concept. Denying God/Holy Spirit is to deny the only thing that brings salvation. You have until you die to repent of that stance. Once you stand before the Judgement Seat and have died deying then you are sent to the Lake of Fire without forgiveness.

How is the idea of an unforgivable sin any more absurd than a talking bush or the dead rising from the grave?

Extensive amounts of eisegesis would be required to eliminate absurdity from the book in question, I have no agenda to perform mental gymnastics to reconcile the bible with reality.

I am curious to see what extent others are willing to mentally contort to explain this one, though.

A

angellous_evangellous

How is the idea of an unforgivable sin any more absurd than a talking bush or the dead rising from the grave?

Extensive amounts of eisegesis would be required to eliminate absurdity from the book in question, I have no agenda to perform mental gymnastics to reconcile the bible with reality.

I am curious to see what extent others are willing to mentally contort to explain this one, though.

See what I mean?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strawman
A straw man argument is an informal fallacy based on misrepresentation of an opponent's position.[1] To "attack a straw man" is to create the illusion of having refuted a proposition by substituting a superficially similar proposition (the "straw man"), and refuting it, without ever having actually refuted the original position.[1][2]

Last edited by a moderator: