• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

US prepares for threat of joint Chinese, Russian and North Korean nuclear strike

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
Of course, there is a significant number of people in the world who believe that the end times are nigh, as described in Revelations and Daniel and other 'prophetic' parts of the Bible, and who see their part in bringing on the end times...and launching a nuclear conflagration might just be the ticket to trigger Jesus to return...

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
Theoretically, yes. But ultimately, the President has to authorize a nuclear launch, so it also depends on the President's nerve and decision-making capabilities.

If someone did have designs on launching a first strike against us, I don't think it would begin with an all-out salvo of missiles. They could send in operatives and covert teams to commit acts of sabotage of key points of communication and other strategic targets which may be vulnerable on the ground.

The typical Cold War scenario is that it would invariably start off small and then escalate from there. For example, if Soviet Bloc forces poured into West Germany, it's possible that battlefield commanders could launch nuclear artillery on the advancing Soviet troops to prevent being overwhelmed by numbers. The Soviets could then open up with their own nuclear artillery, or up the ante and start nuking NATO bases, possibly cities.

We're not really imagining a scenario where some national leader just wakes up one morning and decides, "Hey, I think I'm going to nuke the world today." (Although Reagan used to joke about that sort of thing.)

What if Putin launches a nuclear weapon on Kyiv and/or other Ukrainian cities, just to end it once and for all? What should the West do in that scenario? If no NATO cities or territories are struck and we just decide to let it pass, then our own territory would not be at risk. We could still survive, and so could the world. But if we decide to respond in kind with nuclear strikes against Moscow or other targets (in retaliation on behalf of Ukraine), then they will send nukes against us, and that will be that.
A tactical nuke on Ukraine, I think, would most likely be responded to with a conventional intervention in Ukraine to kick Russians out - and that with the explicit mention of a red line not to use nukes again against those NATO forces in Ukraine.

But here again, I'll gladly bet all my savings that Russia will not be using any nukes - big or small - in Ukraine at all.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Perhaps, but at the same time...

Better to overestimate your enemies then it is to underestimate them.

Understanding and knowing our enemies is key. Particularly in having a clear understanding as to how and why they became "enemies" to begin with, since that's a story in itself.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
The only way I could see it happening is if they were cornered in such a way that they had "nothing left to lose."
Neither the USA nor Russia nor China, could effectively fight wars against each other, the logistics are impossible.
China could effectively annex Mongolia and the russian lands to thr north north east, but that is about it. But probably not worth the effort.

amorphous_constellation

Of course, there is a significant number of people in the world who believe that the end times are nigh, as described in Revelations and Daniel and other 'prophetic' parts of the Bible, and who see their part in bringing on the end times...and launching a nuclear conflagration might just be the ticket to trigger Jesus to return...
I think if we believe in Free-will, then that overrides all prophecy, even if they have a magnetic control on human attention. Free-will is the human tool to override the tests of god, and the will of other people

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
I think if we believe in Free-will, then that overrides all prophecy, even if they have a magnetic control on human attention. Free-will is the human tool to override the tests of god, and the will of other people
so, then...some people will of their own free will launch a nuclear war because they are deluded about God and/or other people...

amorphous_constellation

so, then...some people will of their own free will launch a nuclear war because they are deluded about God and/or other people...
The people who have the power to initiate a nuclear war should be more psychologically stable than other people, so that they decide that doing so is evil, using their free-will to decide that it is.

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
The people who have the power to initiate a nuclear war should be more psychologically stable than other people, so that they decide that doing so is evil, using their free-will to decide that it is.
Well, I agree that would be the preference...but I'm afraid that people who are not psychologically more stable could or would likely be in control of at least some of them...

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
A tactical nuke on Ukraine, I think, would most likely be responded to with a conventional intervention in Ukraine to kick Russians out - and that with the explicit mention of a red line not to use nukes again against those NATO forces in Ukraine.

But here again, I'll gladly bet all my savings that Russia will not be using any nukes - big or small - in Ukraine at all.
He can't launch a nuke because Ukraine has thrashed his military. Plus the way he faced internal pressure over his invasion the opposition against a nuke might be the end of him because others in the room won't want to die.

Shadow Wolf

Fortunately, nuclear strikes aren't decided by just one person.
In America they legally actually are decided solely by the President.
And Trump wanting to bring on loyal yes men, it's probably just gonna be him.

Heyo

Veteran Member
In America they legally actually are decided solely by the President.
Legally, but "the box" isn't connected to any start mechanisms, only alerts.
And Trump wanting to bring on loyal yes men, it's probably just gonna be him.
He'd be hard-pressed to find any loyal yes men in the military. He hates the military, and that is mutual.
(That's why I call him only fascistoid, not fascist. Fascists are traditionally pro military.)

Shadow Wolf

Legally, but "the box" isn't connected to any start mechanisms, only alerts.
His last term had me looking into it. Apparently it is entirely possible for the President to solely launch a nuke.
We then have to hope whoever's finger is actually on "the button" sees it as an illegal order and refuses.

ajay0

It would not make any strategic sense for Putin to use nukes in neighboring Ukraine, because the radioactivity generated will harm the Russians too.

Using nukes against the US and NATO members in Europe would not however pose such issues to a large extent, and would be a strategic option in the military sense. Of course, the Russian too can get knocked out in return.

All this nuclear fighting is highly irrational obviously, but reason is often a casualty as well in the fog of war and inflamed passions and rage.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
Perhaps, but at the same time...

Better to overestimate your enemies then it is to underestimate them.

The only reason that THE USA considers China an enemy is because it has proved to be more successful. In business and manufacturing.
It has shown no corresponding hate towards America. It is infinitely more interested in trade and scientific cooperation than war.

Americas current trade war with China has all the aspects of cutting of their own nose to spite their face. It is proving far more damaging to the USA , than curtailing China's advancement. Even Huawei, a major target of their efforts, has become both far more profitable, but has also massively strengthened its native supply chain and scientific advancements.

the Chinese infrastructure, supply chains and production of rare earth elements are world leading and close to a total monopoly in many instances.
The American trade war is an expression of jealousy,, envy and fear. It realises that it is no longer the world industrial and trade leader. And believes only military might can reverse it's own collapse. It has only to look at it's increasing trade imbalance and impossible national debt to realise how stupid war would be.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic

That is not so at all, most of the world knows nothing about Revelations, or it's wild predictions.
It is only in America that these end of time stories have any credence at all.
A majority of Christians in the UK and Europe give no to regard to these stories at all and rarely read Revelations or Daniel anyway.

The only reason America might start a nuclear war is through envy fear and loss of status. It has already lost the respect off the world through its abuse and of power.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
The American trade war is an expression of jealousy,, envy and fear. It realises that it is no longer the world industrial and trade leader. And believes only military might can reverse it's own collapse. It has only to look at it's increasing trade imbalance and impossible national debt to realise how stupid war would be.

This seems kind of a sad commentary, although when I look at the general character and demeanor of the U.S. ruling class, I don't really see envy or fear. In fact, it appears just the opposite, as they're overconfident, arrogant, and reckless. They've been that way since (at least) the Reagan era.

The U.S. is no longer the world industrial and trade leader because of choices made by the very same ruling class. From all indications, they didn't want the U.S. to be the world industrial and trade leader. You seem to be implying that the U.S. leadership is mad at China for winning the competition, but the U.S. leadership has been throwing the game all along. The U.S. leadership has wanted the U.S. to fail - otherwise they would not have supported the policies they did.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
This seems kind of a sad commentary, although when I look at the general character and demeanor of the U.S. ruling class, I don't really see envy or fear. In fact, it appears just the opposite, as they're overconfident, arrogant, and reckless. They've been that way since (at least) the Reagan era.

The U.S. is no longer the world industrial and trade leader because of choices made by the very same ruling class. From all indications, they didn't want the U.S. to be the world industrial and trade leader. You seem to be implying that the U.S. leadership is mad at China for winning the competition, but the U.S. leadership has been throwing the game all along. The U.S. leadership has wanted the U.S. to fail - otherwise they would not have supported the policies they did.

You give the US rulers too much credit. What has happend to the USA is though their own incompetence. And they do indeed fear that very trait in china leadership. They do not understand how "communist" can have such ability.