• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Verifiable evidence for creationism?

Is there any verifiable evidence for creationism?

• Yes

Votes: 20 19.0%
  • No

Votes: 85 81.0%

• Total voters

ImmortalFlame

Woke gremlin
Okay.

morebegging_zpstryfak7i.png

Still no.
Well, it's what comes up when I search for it. The source can be found here:

http://begthequestion.info/

On the contrary, you are the irrational one. Evidence cannot be used to support conclusions without using a logical fallacy.
It sure is a good thing our entire scientific, justice and logic systems don't depend on evidence then, eh?

Completely untrue.
Nope, completely true. Every time you push a specific key on a keyboard, you are assuming that it will correspond to the letter you wish to type, based on the letter on the key and the fact that having pushed the key before you are assured that doing so again will produce the same result. Every time you leave your house by the front door, you do this because you assume that said door leads outside rather than flinging you into space, based solely on the fact that it has always lead you outside in the past and you assume it won't do anything other than that in the future. Every time you drink water, you assume it isn't poison because the sources of water you drink have never contained water in the past and you have no reason to assume that the next water you drink from the same source will contain poison.

If you do not believe these are the result of induction, then please re-familiarize yourself with the concept.

However, for the sake of argument, let's assume that it is true. Let's assume that I use induction every second of the day.

So what? Does that make induction logically justificable? No.
It makes it demonstrably reliable to the point where our reliance upon it is second nature. In order to argue against the rationality of inductive reasoning, you literally have to apply a great deal of inductive reasoning, so you must believe that there is at least a degree of reliability in the process. If not, you wouldn't be bothering to use it. You'd have already given up on keyboards, because you can't assume the keys will correspond to anything; stopped drinking water, because you can't assume it won't contain poison; and boarded up your front door, because you can't assume it won't throw you into space.

Confirmation bias is the tendency among people to look for things that confirm their beliefs rather than things that might falsify their beliefs.
Yet you claim that you believe in scientific falsficationism. Sadly, you don't even know what it is.
Since I've yet to go into any kind of detail on what falsification is, you clearly aren't qualified to tell me what I do and do not know. I am also well acquainted with confirmation bias, which has nothing to do with inductive reasoning. All reasoning is potentially subject to confirmation bias, including your ridiculous, self-serving pseudo-intellectual attacks.

No, finding one white raven would falsify the claim.
It would, but you couldn't demonstrate the claim to be true even if you never found a white raven, or a raven of any other colour than black. Your claim can be falsified, but never sufficiently demonstrated to be true. Science works on the same basis, but unlike your raven assertion the hypotheses are always tentative and always designed to be tested against.

Scientific hypotheses are never and can never be confirmed. That's the point, dumbass.
You are reported.

First you say that all claims must be tentative, then you say methodologies are used to confirm them. Get a brain, come back, and then we'll talk.
So tentative conclusions can never be confirmed? Are you confusing confirmation with certitude?

No, what I'm doing is pointing out the misleading nature of CDC statistics by calculating the NNT.

From http://www.med.uottawa.ca/sim/data/Number_Needed_to_Treat_e.htm

The NNT (Number Needed To Treat) is a statistic that summarizes the effectiveness of a therapy, or a preventive measure, in achieving a desired outcome. It is one way to indicate the clinical significance of an intervention. The simple idea is that no treatment works for everybody, so how many do you need to treat to benefit one case?

• The number needed to treat (NNT) is the number of patients with a condition who must follow a treatment regimen over a specified time in order to achieve the desired outcome for one person.
Treatments not equal?
  • The NNT can be presented in negative terms, where the goal is to avoid a negative outcome such as taking medication to prevent a stroke; but it can also apply to achieving a cure.
------------------
Actually, more specifically, I am calculating NNV (number needed to vaccinate). See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Number_needed_to_vaccinate

Or we could talk about the effectiveness of the trivalent influenza vaccine in terms of NNV (see http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3994812/ ).

>For community-dwelling seniors, the NNT to prevent 1 case of influenza is 40. The flu shot has not been shown to decrease hospitalizations. Evidence that the flu shot decreases mortality is likely biased.

If the NNT = 40 then treating 100 people will prevent 2.5 cases of influenza. In other words, 97.5 percent of those who receive the shot do not receive any benefit.

Math... get it?
Yeah, I get it, you can twist numbers to support your claim that the flu vaccine is ineffective while supporting your argument with baseless claims of bias and jargon. Sophistry at its finest!

Last edited:

Zosimus

Well, it's what comes up when I search for it. The source can be found here:

http://begthequestion.info/
Well, it's wrong. For real definitions of begging the question look at
http://www.nizkor.org/features/fallacies/begging-the-question.html or
https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/begging-the-question or
http://www.txstate.edu/philosophy/resources/fallacy-definitions/Begging-the-Question.html or
http://skepdic.com/begging.html

Nope, completely true. Every time you push a specific key on a keyboard, you are assuming that it will correspond to the letter you wish to type, based on the letter on the key and the fact that having pushed the key before you are assured that doing so again will produce the same result. Every time you leave your house by the front door, you do this because you assume that said door leads outside rather than flinging you into space, based solely on the fact that it has always lead you outside in the past and you assume it won't do anything other than that in the future. Every time you drink water, you assume it isn't poison because the sources of water you drink have never contained water in the past and you have no reason to assume that the next water you drink from the same source will contain poison.
You are assuming a lot. How do you know that I don't exit through the front door because I am convinced that if I stay in the same place for much longer I will be tempting fate? I might well believe that since my living room has been safe so far, every passing second increases the likelihood that this situation will change.

I also enjoyed your "because the sources of water you drink have never contained water in the past..." statement. Don't you proofread your posts?

It makes it demonstrably reliable to the point where our reliance upon it is second nature. In order to argue against the rationality of inductive reasoning, you literally have to apply a great deal of inductive reasoning...
I doubt that. How do you figure?

Since I've yet to go into any kind of detail on what falsification is, you clearly aren't qualified to tell me what I do and do not know. I am also well acquainted with confirmation bias, which has nothing to do with inductive reasoning. All reasoning is potentially subject to confirmation bias, including your ridiculous, self-serving pseudo-intellectual attacks.
No, because my line of reasoning doesn't require confirmation of any kind. Thus, it is not exposed to confirmation bias.

It would, but you couldn't demonstrate the claim to be true even if you never found a white raven, or a raven of any other colour than black. Your claim can be falsified, but never sufficiently demonstrated to be true. Science works on the same basis, but unlike your raven assertion the hypotheses are always tentative and always designed to be tested against.
Well, does that mean you are simply asserting that Darwinism is a tentative assertion that can never be demonstrated to be true? I doubt that. You wouldn't be posting in this forum if you thought so.

So tentative conclusions can never be confirmed? Are you confusing confirmation with certitude?
Any confirmation you may come up with never increases the likelihood of the theory you are supposedly confirming.

Yeah, I get it, you can twist numbers to support your claim that the flu vaccine is ineffective while supporting your argument with baseless claims of bias and jargon. Sophistry at its finest!
I claimed that more than 90 percent of people who get the flu vaccine never reap any benefit therefrom. I have subsequently demonstrated that it is so. If you think that something that fails more than 90 percent of the time is effective, then you and I must have quite different understandings of the meaning of the word "effective."

Sapiens

Polymathematician
So science is only for elitists and no one that is learning about it in schools has any clue (at all) about what actual science entails.
There is some truth in that. Most are being "trained" to perform at technician level and have little or any clue as to a what actual science entails.
No other way to read what you have conveyed with utter contempt and disdain.
See ... induction works. Thanks for the demo.
Science is easily practiced in the form that is easily found in google search/taught in schools, but you wish to use subjectivity of experience as way to present superiority (complex) around your version of science. All of which is laughable, at best.
I'm laughing all the way to the future ... and you're doing what? Trying to maintain faith in a rapidly falsifying fable of the past?

Last edited:

Acim

Revelation all the time
There is some truth in that. Most are being "trained" to perform at technician level and have little or any clue as to a what actual science entails.

Since you don't elaborate, or even hint at, the other aspect of 'truth' in the assertion, then science has been rendered to elitism. And plausibly indoctrination, ya know, to be trained as an appropriate technician.

Is science verifiable to one and all, or just those who have chosen to follow in the prescribed footsteps of what actual (and closely guarded) science entails?

I'm laughing all the way to the future ... and you're doing what? Trying to maintain faith in a rapidly falsifying fable of the past?

Careful. Your assumptions are ignoring the easily identifiable hypocrisy of your chosen path. Given the many methodologies that plausibly exist, and that fact that actual science does clearly allow for rogue practices, the elitist version is the stuff hubris and (false) authority rest on.

Past and future are both fables resting on the same type of faith, science takes for granted. For some, an under-examined endeavor is apparently worth practicing.

Sapiens

Polymathematician
Since you don't elaborate, or even hint at, the other aspect of 'truth' in the assertion, then science has been rendered to elitism. And plausibly indoctrination, ya know, to be trained as an appropriate technician.

Is science verifiable to one and all, or just those who have chosen to follow in the prescribed footsteps of what actual (and closely guarded) science entails?
The proof is in the puddin' who has the track record?
Careful. Your assumptions are ignoring the easily identifiable hypocrisy of your chosen path. Given the many methodologies that plausibly exist, and that fact that actual science does clearly allow for rogue practices, the elitist version is the stuff hubris and (false) authority rest on.

Past and future are both fables resting on the same type of faith, science takes for granted. For some, an under-examined endeavor is apparently worth practicing.
Again, the proof is in the puddin' who has the track record? There is no need to waste a lot of energy on the elitist navel lint picking expedition that you want, science is too busy actually getting things done.

gnostic

The Lost One
Since you don't elaborate, or even hint at, the other aspect of 'truth' in the assertion, then science has been rendered to elitism.
Then, you really don't understand science at all.

Science is not about accepting everything that anyone claim. Science is not just about discovering what is true, but more importantly finding what is false.

If a scientist failed to provide methodology to test his hypothesis (or theory), then it is rightfully so - dismissed. Untestable explanation-prediction (theory or hypothesis) cannot and should never be accepted as true.

If there are no evidences to verify it (hypothesis or theory) being true, or the evidences go against the explanation, then it has failed and been refuted.

It has nothing to do with elitist.

Every hypothesis and theory must undergo this same route, to be rigorously and repeatedly tested, or to discover verifiable evidences.

Science is not based on logic alone. In science, logic have to be wedded with observation, whether this observation be test (or experiment) or be evidence.

Creationism cannot be tested, because it required to believe in the supernatural, and science don't do supernatural. Also a factor, there are no way to test (and no evidence) the existence of God. That's why creationism falls under the realm of pseudoscience and the supernatural.

Intelligent Design is exactly the same. No evidences and virtually untestable. And like Creationism, there are no physical evidences for Designer. So ID also falls under pseudoscience.

You don't just need evidences for the EFFECT, it is even more important to find evidences for the CAUSE. If you don't have evidences for BOTH CAUSE and EFFECT, then it is NOT SCIENTIFIC.

The evidences for Creator, Designer or God (or whatever you want to call it), are simply just not there.

It is that simple!

Sapiens

Polymathematician
The scientists, are already resting well past the finish line, the scientists have falsified, what the creationist want to demonstrate on a solely theoretical basis. The fact is that the scientists can, and have, run faster and further than the creationists.

Frankly I am becoming more and more convinced that the race is, in point of fact, long over with the creationists left behind, quite obviously, by all possible standards, in the starting blocks.

Arguing with them should be limited to personal amusement or existential entertainment.

Last edited:

Acim

Revelation all the time
I asked (and was quoted as asking): Is science verifiable to one and all, or just those who have chosen to follow in the prescribed footsteps of what actual (and closely guarded) science entails?

And the response was:

The proof is in the puddin' who has the track record?

Again, the proof is in the puddin' who has the track record? There is no need to waste a lot of energy on the elitist navel lint picking expedition that you want, science is too busy actually getting things done.

Oh, I think there's plenty of time to reasonably criticize science at its fundamental level, especially if that fundamental level is stating elitists have this all worked out, can't take time to be transparent with everyone about what they are up to, but trust us.

Clearly such a thing as 'man made global warming' is a result of science going full steam ahead without exploring own track record. Or perhaps just coincidence that when science truly came into its own the world climate/environment went on an alleged decline because of the things man, via inventions, has been able to do to the planet, for sake of convenience.

Also clearly because scientists are of the universe, the universe is, in part, intelligently designing things. Hence, without any need for exploration, this I would call factual. The universe observable designs phenomenon intelligently with intent for design. With great pride in that intent. Thus we have clear, verifiable evidence for intelligent design in the universe and it is the practice of science itself, and its infinite methods, that provides us with this evidence. Unless, ya know, anyone wishes to claim that what humans are up to in the universe is supernatural (outside the scope of universal physics).

And while we're at it, since no one living today created themselves, has no little to no idea how consciousness manifested in the universe, which allows universe to clearly be aware of itself, then universe itself is arguably showing a version of creationism that while not biblical, is clearly discernible. Unless, you know, you don't have time for exploration cause you're too busy creating the latest atom bomb or what have you.

Acim

Revelation all the time
Then, you really don't understand science at all.

Science is not about accepting everything that anyone claim.

Not sure if this assertion makes sense, but from what I understand of it, I would say at fundamental level it is accepting whatever is claimed.

Science is not just about discovering what is true, but more importantly finding what is false.

Not at its fundamental level, for sure. And 'what is false' is the debate in many of scientific fields. I think that (debate) is considered a great thing.

If a scientist failed to provide methodology to test his hypothesis (or theory), then it is rightfully so - dismissed. Untestable explanation-prediction (theory or hypothesis) cannot and should never be accepted as true.

Oh, I can think of a field of current science that is clearly not following this. Give me some time, I could come up with a number of branches that may as well. The one I'm thinking of is with regards to vaping, and the untestable explanation-prediction that is at work is assertions that it should definitely be regulated because science has determined it has potential for long term harm based on the idea that science hasn't had the opportunity to study it over the long term. I'm quite comfortable in this field of science having a discussion and while not the only branch of interest to me, is one that hits home on a few levels because of what science has become - quasi-religious, laced with zealots. Some of whom are praised (rather than criticized, unless persons are on polar opposite).

If there are no evidences to verify it (hypothesis or theory) being true, or the evidences go against the explanation, then it has failed and been refuted.

It has nothing to do with elitist.

It for sure does in the vaping paradigm. But from the discussion about scientific methods (plural), those are based on elitist understandings (or authority) of what makes for right questions, right methods, right analysis. Someone like me comes along with awareness of the fundamentals and its elitism thrown in my face as to why I can't possibly be allowed into the discussion, or that anything I convey could possibly be seen as reasonable from position of righteousness. So, while not having everything to do with elitism, I feel comfortable saying it has something to do with it. And is at a point where it is observably getting resistance by non-elitists and I would call that a great thing.

Creationism cannot be tested, because it required to believe in the supernatural, and science don't do supernatural. Also a factor, there are no way to test (and no evidence) the existence of God. That's why creationism falls under the realm of pseudoscience and the supernatural.

This would clearly have to do with how God is being defined. So, perhaps old school creationism doesn't work, but as noted before, intelligent design by the universe is clearly verifiable / discernible. Science itself is the evidence.

Intelligent Design is exactly the same. No evidences and virtually untestable. And like Creationism, there are no physical evidences for Designer. So ID also falls under pseudoscience.

Already refuted this. Calling it pseudoscience based on a prejudice for what it means to be supernatural tells me science could use a little reflecting to be truly logical. Anti-vaping science (which is popular, government supported) continues to strike me as pseudoscience, but methinks that if we had actual discussion on it, there'd be a whole lot of jumping through hoops to defend it as 'legitimate science' even while it dances around the items you are referring to as 'actual science.'

You don't just need evidences for the EFFECT, it is even more important to find evidences for the CAUSE. If you don't have evidences for BOTH CAUSE and EFFECT, then it is NOT SCIENTIFIC.

Why the big letters. Makes me want to shout CORRELATION DOES NOT EQUAL CAUSE. Which is another thing that gets at fundamentals of science. Where I feel more comfortable and where the elitism thing can take a back seat.

The evidences for Creator, Designer or God (or whatever you want to call it), are simply just not there.

It is that simple!

Then you are not looking, not using Reason.

It is that simple.

gnostic

The Lost One
Math is not a science.
If we are talking about physical science, then yes, maths isn't science.

But maths is known as logical science, so yes, it is science.

So it really depends on what science you are talking about.

Physical science referred to physics and chemistry, and many science have these two broad branches of science, but they can cross over to different fields, like astronomy, geology would fall into this category. And engineering too.

To give an example, of science that's not physical science - social science. This involved human mind or human behaviour, like psychology or behavioural science.

Design theory... I have no idea.

Again, this depends on what you mean by design. If you are referring to design, like for engineering, then yes, science is of course involved.

But if you are referring to Intelligent Design (ID) as advocated by creationists at the Discovery Institute (DI), or by Michael Behe in his Irreducible Complexity (IR), then no it isn't science.

ID is not even a scientific theory; even calling a scientific hypothesis would be overstating it.

ID isn't science because it is falsifiable. Falsifiable mean any statement, explanation and prediction can be verified through observation. Observation means TESTING, EXPERIMENTATION and EVIDENCE.

ID is untestable, because it is not possible to have physical evidences of this Intelligent "Designer", just as you cannot physical evidences of Creator, God(s), spirits, demons, angels, fairies, leprechauns.

Like with God, (intelligent) Designer is based on faith and circular reasoning and all sort of logical fallacies, not evidences, and that's what Intelligent Design unscientific (hence, pseudoscience), just like Creationism.

But getting back to Design Theory. If you are referring this to Intelligent Design, then it isn't science, and it is certainly not a theory.

gnostic

The Lost One
Why the big letters. Makes me want to shout CORRELATION DOES NOT EQUAL CAUSE. Which is another thing that gets at fundamentals of science. Where I feel more comfortable and where the elitism thing can take a back seat.

Not shouting; I am trying to emphasised keywords or phrases, similar to if I used the BOLD or ITALIC style on them, in the hope that you or someone else would address my points.

I often capitalised words or phrases, when I am posting long reply and using my iPad instead of my PC. Using iPad, I have to highlight the word(s), scroll up screen to then press the BOLD button, before scrolling back down when I left off. Doing this can be time-consuming and cause me to lose my chain of thoughts.

...AND you didn't bother to address my point; you have only bother to rebuke me for alleged "shouting".

Not at its fundamental level, for sure. And 'what is false' is the debate in many of scientific fields. I think that (debate) is considered a great thing.
What is false in science are those that cannot be VERIFIED through OBSERVATION.

And when science talk of OBSERVATION, they actually means EXPERIMENTATION, TESTS or EVIDENCE. In another word, any statement, explanation or prediction made in a theory or hypothesis must be FALSIFIABLE, which in turn is another word for TESTABLE, VERIFIABLE and REFUTABLE.

A scientific theory and scientific hypothesis has to be FALSIFIABLE or TESTABLE.

If the hypothesis is untestable, then a hypothesis cannot be considered falsifiable or scientific.

To be objective, conclusion should be based on the data of repeated (and rigorous) TESTS or on verifiable EVIDENCES, not on a person's preconceptions or on one's assumptions, because anyone can have an opinion.

Especially for physical science (any field relating physics and chemistry), life science (any field relating to biology) and engineering (eg civil, mechanical, electrical, etc), true and false can only be determined through evidences, tests or experimentation, and more from quantities than quality.

Last edited:

gnostic

The Lost One
Oh, I can think of a field of current science that is clearly not following this. Give me some time, I could come up with a number of branches that may as well.
You don't have to, I can tell you right now that there are some science which are not testable or have no evidences, but it is still scientific. These are mostly from the fields of physics, and that's why they are called THEORETICAL PHYSICS.

Theoretical physics only have proofs, not evidences.

Proof in science, is a mathematical representation, like a mathematical equation or mathematical model.

Theoretical scientists (as opposed to experimental scientists) attempt to find solutions through solving complex equations.

To a courtroom, lawyers judges, and law enforcement (police), proof and evidence are synonymous to one another, but to scientists and mathematicians, they are not the same things. Mathematicians and scientists distinguished proof from evidence.

Sure there are always some maths involving physics, chemistry and biology, but in most science or scientific fields, "tests" and "evidences" played a far greater role than "mathematical proof" in theoretical science.

To give you some list of theoretical science (all of which are in the fields of physics):
  • All the different and variations of string theory or superstring theory, which also include:
    • M-theory,
    • Supersymmetry (SUSY),
  • any of the different variations of multiverse cosmology,
  • the Big Crunch
  • the Big Bounce, also known as oscillating model, in which universe go through a series of of Big Bang, Big Crunch, over and over again,
  • the eternal universe model
  • some parts of Quantum Physics (eg Quantum Field Theory)
What are not theoretical, are:
  • General Relativity (GR)
  • Big Bang (BB)
  • Evolution, which includes some different mechanisms:
  1. Natural Selection
  2. Gene Flow
  3. Genetic Drift
  4. Genetic Hitchhiking
  5. Mutation
  • some parts of Quantum Physics are no longer theoretical.
They are not theoretical, because of these theories being verifiably testable or have empirical evidences.

General Relativity used to be theoretical physics, until they have managed to test GR.

Likewise, the Big Bang used to be theoretical physics until they were able (A) to test it, like redshift, (B) or find evidences, like Cosmic Microwave Background Radiation (CMBR) in 1964 and in various space probes, especially the WMAP mission. CMBR was actually predicted back in 1948, by Ralph Alpher and Robert Herman, along with George Gamow, who in the same year published relating to the Big Bang Nucleosynthesis (BBN); CMBR is the major reason why BB is accepted, and gone from theoretical to experimental physics.

Acim

Revelation all the time
...AND you didn't bother to address my point; you have only bother to rebuke me for alleged "shouting".

Why you shouting at me?
Just kidding.

I did address the point. The point being: it is even more important to find evidences for the CAUSE. If you don't have evidences for BOTH CAUSE and EFFECT, then it is NOT SCIENTIFIC.
My (earlier) response: CORRELATION DOES NOT EQUAL CAUSE. Which is another thing that gets at fundamentals of science.
My (current) elaboration: Many times, but perhaps not always, an associative cause, or what reasonable people reference as correlation is assessed as cause, relating to observed effects. Thus, some (to many) of the shared results of experimentation are debatably scientific if this is all it took. Instead, I feel, it is the methodology first that is cited as 'hey, we are/were rational' then philosophical paradigm (i.e. epistemology) that (essentially) concludes, 'yep, causation is exactly what we determined.' I honestly see it as a variation of "god did it" type logic.

What is false in science are those that cannot be VERIFIED through OBSERVATION.

And when science talk of OBSERVATION, they actually means EXPERIMENTATION, TESTS or EVIDENCE.

It humors me that observation means these things. Like saying when religion talks of prayer, it actually means contemplation, deliberation and gratitude. How can you not understand that? LOL.
Yeah, I get that observation means a whole lot of things in scientific methodology. Seems like overarching assumption that 'observation' is without bias/prejudice, but I think we all know that's not accurate. (I'm anticipating response of - yeah, but it's the best we can do.)

In another word, any statement, explanation or prediction made in a theory or hypothesis must be FALSIFIABLE, which in turn is another word for TESTABLE, VERIFIABLE and REFUTABLE.

A scientific theory and scientific hypothesis has to be FALSIFIABLE or TESTABLE.

If the hypothesis is untestable, then a hypothesis cannot be considered falsifiable or scientific.

To be objective, conclusion should be based on the data of repeated (and rigorous) TESTS or on verifiable EVIDENCES, not on a person's preconceptions or on one's assumptions, because anyone can have an opinion.

I find all of this to be challenging to reconcile what I routinely find in (actual) scientific studies for public health, particularly having to do with tobacco products. That would be my mind considering a specific. In general, I honestly don't see a way around preconceptions/assumptions, and that a whole lot of science is 'scientific opinion.' Researched, studied, educated opinion - yes, but biased, self limiting, frequently preconceived opinion. The fundamental and/or existential aspects of science most definitely rely on assumption, or what I routinely, and accurately call faith.

Especially for physical science (any field relating physics and chemistry), life science (any field relating to biology) and engineering (eg civil, mechanical, electrical, etc), true and false can only be determined through evidences, tests or experimentation, and more from quantities than quality.

I like the idea that science itself is evidence that the universe, in part, engages in intelligent design. As if science would not be plausible if that weren't occurring.

Acim

Revelation all the time
Like with God, (intelligent) Designer is based on faith and circular reasoning and all sort of logical fallacies, not evidences, and that's what Intelligent Design unscientific (hence, pseudoscience), just like Creationism.

This humors me after what I just wrote. Knowing that I understand science is based on faith (in material existence, without objective evidence to support this fundamental assumption). But also knowing that we / scientists are evidence of the universe engaging in design that is (I think) clearly asserting itself as intelligent. Literally, whatever universal laws we imagine are at work, are observed only because we (as universal phenomenon) have awareness of said laws. It's not (solely) they are 'our' laws and don't belong to the universe, nor is it accurate to say the entire universe is observably engaged in an intelligent design that we (everyone) can easily discern. But the fact science observes laws, is evidence that the universe (itself, through us) is aware of an intelligent design. In my mind, it is even more obvious than how I think this is reading (when I reread it). Science is the (verifiable, repeatable) evidence that the universe clearly engages in intelligent design.

Unless humans / consciousness / science are supernatural.

Zosimus

If we are talking about physical science, then yes, maths isn't science.

But maths is known as logical science, so yes, it is science.

Science involves conjectures and experiments. Do you think that's how mathematicians think that 1+1=2? Do you think that mathematicians sit around thinking "I wonder if this works with tomatoes too. Let's get a federally-funded grant to test it." Do you think that scientists postulate that 2+2 might equal 5 in the vicinity of a black hole or at very high relativistic speeds? No!

Math starts with the Peano Postulates, which define the natural numbers N. From there, a detailed mathematical proof exists to demonstrate that 1+1=2. So you see, science is sense based and inductive whereas math is not sense based and deductive. Math is completely different from science.

ID is untestable, because it is not possible to have physical evidences of this Intelligent "Designer", just as you cannot physical evidences of Creator, God(s), spirits, demons, angels, fairies, leprechauns.

Do you think that it would be impossible to have physical evidence of an angel? Of course it wouldn't! If I had a fossil of a human with wings, that would be pretty convincing evidence of angels. Ditto for a human with horns as convincing evidence of demons.

Last edited by a moderator:

NewGuyOnTheBlock

Cult Survivor/Fundamentalist Pentecostal Apostate

I find this statement odd as science and the scientific method are clearly taught in school. There are many shows on TV which clearly describe how the scientific method works, engaging the audiences to performing their own scientific experiments; not to mention countless documentaries which go into quite detail how certain discoveries were made. Science is not reserved for the "elitist".

Moreover, your comment about "indoctrination" is also interesting.

Indoctrination is defined as "to teach (someone) to fully accept the ideas, opinions, and beliefs of a particular group and to not consider other ideas, opinions, and beliefs". In short, an "indoctrinated" person simply accepts what is being told to them without question. While there are many whom I have met who say "Yea, I accept /believe in Evolution" yet they don't understand the fundamentals or evidence behind it ... they're just saying they "agree" based on "argument from authority" -- and these persons certainly fit the bill. However, this isn't what science is about. It encourages others to ask questions and is prepared to do opposite of indoctrination -- accept new ideas when sufficiently proven.

To a degree, you do have a point here. Finding real scientific articles is arduous work sometimes; and often, one has to pay for it. Neil De Grasse Tyson criticizes this and stipulates that by making information difficult to obtain, science isn't doing itself any favors.

To another degree, you don't have a point. The information is out there, it is not considered a "secret", and if you want it bad enough, you can find it ... especially in today's age; what, with the internet and all ...

Arguing with them should be limited to personal amusement

Actually, the reason I do it is to try to stem the damage; help prevent them from confusing the next person who may fall into their delusion if someone doesn't head it off at the pass.

Also clearly because scientists are of the universe, the universe is, in part, intelligently designing things. Hence, without any need for exploration, this I would call factual. The universe observable designs phenomenon intelligently with intent for design. With great pride in that intent. Thus we have clear, verifiable evidence for intelligent design in the universe and it is the practice of science itself, and its infinite methods, that provides us with this evidence. Unless, ya know, anyone wishes to claim that what humans are up to in the universe is supernatural (outside the scope of universal physics).

So ... The Universe is intelligent because scientists exist?

Acim

Revelation all the time
I find this statement odd as science and the scientific method are clearly taught in school. There are many shows on TV which clearly describe how the scientific method works, engaging the audiences to performing their own scientific experiments; not to mention countless documentaries which go into quite detail how certain discoveries were made. Science is not reserved for the "elitist".

I agree that "the" scientific method is clearly taught in school. Do you acknowledge that this method is not (exactly) what many / overwhelming majority of accomplished scientists are practicing? Hence the claim of indoctrination. At the newbie level, one thing is taught as if it rather concrete, and is the totality of science. Perhaps essence is better word. Though the idea that multiple methods are not readily found nor seemingly conveyed to the newly initiated, while seasoned practitioners are essentially ignoring the grade school version is only partial elitism. The fact that one can perform scientific experiments under "the" scientific method and not be considered (actual) scientists is where I see elitism coming more pronounced. Like everyone in this thread who's done these scientific experiments in school, ought to be considered a scientists, unless they have somehow, on their own completely disavowed science (akin to atheism in religion). If they have not, then while they might not be advanced scientists, they are definitely scientists, have experience with "the" method. But because other methodology exists that seems to take a whole lot away from "the" method, it's as if you aren't 'really' a scientist until you advance far enough to publish your own results. The fact that one ought to be (has to be?) credentialed scientist to properly review another's findings is clearly elitist. Any other field that would do this, say religion, would be lambasted for the elitism it is trying to establish when the data could be shared with anyone, evaluated by anyone.

Moreover, your comment about "indoctrination" is also interesting.

Indoctrination is defined as "to teach (someone) to fully accept the ideas, opinions, and beliefs of a particular group and to not consider other ideas, opinions, and beliefs". In short, an "indoctrinated" person simply accepts what is being told to them without question. While there are many whom I have met who say "Yea, I accept /believe in Evolution" yet they don't understand the fundamentals or evidence behind it ... they're just saying they "agree" based on "argument from authority" -- and these persons certainly fit the bill. However, this isn't what science is about. It encourages others to ask questions and is prepared to do opposite of indoctrination -- accept new ideas when sufficiently proven.

Agreed. It's not 100% indoctrination. If it were, my points of indoctrination would be old news, widely known. I think they are less known because if I go ask any non-practicing scientist (of the paid research variety) what is science, they'll regurgitate some form of "the" method. I believe if I asked say 100 people (non-scientist types) if this is the method they think molecular biologists are following or cosmologists (or any sub-field), I think most (like 85%) would assume yes, and of the ones who are no, probably wouldn't know what alternative methodology is being practiced. I would concede that it is possible out of 100 people, that some might actually understand the methodology being practiced in a sub-field and know that the fundamental methodology (they were taught) is, of course, not what a seasoned scientist is practicing/following. Though, I do wonder how many would come to that understanding on their own, so obviously such a survey would depend on how questions were asked, whether they are leading respondents to consider ideas that "the" method they are familiar with is not what most scientists actually practice.

But I say all this because within context of indoctrination, and the definition's words of "to not consider other ideas, opinions and beliefs" - that could be spun two ways (at least). Like, not considering creationism when being taught "how life in the universe came into existence" - that would be a form of indoctrination to ignore that, but IMO, not so much and is NOT what I'm getting at. I'm getting at the idea that within science itself, actual scientists would possibly have a whole lot to say (correct) in what is being taught to students, as if those students are not being given the actual picture of what actual scientists do. Such that if I do start a thread right now about "what is science" and let's agree that hypothetically no practicing scientist response, I could see myself arguing with people who are self-convinced "the" method is what science is, and what most to all scientist engage in. As I have been in numerous threads along lines of "what is science" or "is this (particular action) science?" - I do have the anecdotal evidence to support my conclusions. If I type in google search "what is science" - more evidence to support my claims.

To me, all this seems plainly obvious. Not sure why I keep going with it, but perhaps more discussion will provide further clarification on just how much indoctrination is occurring. I will say if I had to compare it to other types of indoctrination I'm familiar with, it is rather tame. But does become less tame, in my book, if I as non-practicing scientist (of the paid research variety) were to enter into any type of discussion among sub-field advanced types and start raising questions, I witness to the elitism of which I speak. Suddenly the "right" questions with "right" analysis and "right" credentials are seen as supremely important for any discussion to be had. Thankfully, some (IMO, very few) science aficionados will tolerate essentially any question and hold a reasonable discussion. Most fans/advanced types strike me as thinking it beneath them to entertain such questions.

To a degree, you do have a point here. Finding real scientific articles is arduous work sometimes; and often, one has to pay for it. Neil De Grasse Tyson criticizes this and stipulates that by making information difficult to obtain, science isn't doing itself any favors.

To another degree, you don't have a point. The information is out there, it is not considered a "secret", and if you want it bad enough, you can find it ... especially in today's age; what, with the internet and all ...

I didn't say secret, and did say closely guarded. I agree with what you've said Tyson has raised as criticism. I share in that. Though I do recognize that here in the information age, "published results" has become a bit of a problem, as setting up an appearance of a forum/publication where other (credentialed) scientists will review the work is not all that challenging to do. Thus, there are more trusted or long established outlets and ones that are less trusted. The whole paywall thing, every time I've looked into it (understanding both sides of why it exists) strikes me as huge problem that is still sorting itself out. But in sound bite rhetoric, I find it hard to remove the elitism charge from the discussion while paywalls exist. It comes down to how readily accessible are current scientific findings.

So ... The Universe is intelligent because scientists exist?

I observe we have evidence of this, yes.

McBell

Admiral Obvious
There is no need for Creationists to provide evidence.
They do if they want Creation to be anything other than belief.

The biogenesis/macro evolution model is so riddled with error, blatant conjecture, and scientific flaws that it can be very reasonably discredited.
And yet it hasn't been outside those who have to use faith to justify their belief that it has been.

Those who hold to the model by faith, defend it, by faith.
Yes.
And those who want Creation to be anything other than belief, will need to provide evidence.

There are only two possibilities.
Except that you do not know that for a fact...

Either geology, biology, and botany were created by intelligent design, or they in essence created themselves by use of the "magical ingredient" billions of years.
False dichototmy

There is absolutely no scientific proof for this. It is based upon raw conjecture, wishes and cyinicism
except there is evidence for it.

idav

Being
Premium Member
It comes down to how readily accessible are current scientific findings.
We can do a quantum experiment easily with a key-chain laser pointer we can buy at a dollar store. We can observe with our naked eye, light from stars that existed millions of years ago. Its not a bad question to ask how readily available the reproducible experiments are. Its very hard for science to make stuff up when experiments have to consistently yield the same results.