• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Was Islam spread by the sword?

Status
Not open for further replies.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Was Islam spread by the sword? Yes. The fall of the Sasanian empire to the armies of Islam show that the religion gained ground on the back of military triumphs. And yes, it has persecuted other belief systems despite attempts at revising history to make Islam's past seem more benign. What would the Parsis have been fleeing Iran for if they were well treated and their religion was accommodated?
Please read my post of Aug 7, 2014 #415 in this connection.
Regards

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
No.
For example:
Spread of Islam in Sri Lanka: [4]

East Coast Moors[edit]

In the eastern provinces of the country Muslims are predominant. These Muslims were settled on land given by the Sinhalese King Senarat of Kandy after the Muslims were persecuted by the Portuguese.[2] East coast Sri Lankan Moors are primarily farmers, fishermen, and traders. According to the controversial census of 2007, the Moors are 5% (only Moors, not the entire Muslim population of the eastern province). Their family lines are traced through women, as in kinship systems of the south west Indian state of Kerala, but they govern themselves through Islamic law.[16]

West Coast Moors[edit]
Many moors in the west of the island are traders, professionals or civil servants and are mainly concentrated in Colombo, Kalutara, Beruwala, Dharga Town, Puttalam, Jaffna and Mannar. Moors in the west coast trace their family lines through their father. Along with those in the Central Province, the surname of many Moors in Colombo, Kalutara and Puttalam is their fathers first name, thus retaining similarity to the traditional Arab and middle eastern kinship system.

The Malays[edit]
Main article: Sri Lankan Malays

Sri Lankan Malay Father and Son, 19th century

Mosque in Galle, Sri Lanka
The Malays of Sri Lanka originated in Southeast Asia and today consist of about 50,000 persons. Their ancestors came to the country when both Sri Lanka and Indonesia were colonies of the Dutch. Most of the early Malay immigrants were soldiers, posted by the Dutch colonial administration to Sri Lanka, who decided to settle on the island. Other immigrants were convicts or members of noble houses from Indonesia who were exiled to Sri Lanka and who never left. The main source of a continuing Malay identity is their common Malay language (Bahasa Melayu), which includes numerous words absorbed from Sinhalese and the Moorish variant of the Tamil language. In the 1980s, the Malays made up about 5% of the Muslim population in Sri Lanka and, like the Moors, predominantly follow the Shafi school of thought within Sunni Islam.

Other Indian Muslims (Memons, Bohras, Khojas)[edit]
Main articles: Dawoodi Bohra and Memons in Sri Lanka
The Indian Muslims are those who trace their origins to immigrants searching for business opportunities during the colonial period. Some of these people came to the country as far back as Portuguese times; others arrived during the British period from various parts of India. Majority of them came from Tamil Nadu and Kerala states, and unlike the Sri Lankan Moors, are ethnically related to South Indians and number approximately 30,000. The Memon, originally from Sindh (in modern Pakistan), first arrived in 1870; in the 1980s they numbered only about 3,000, they mostly follow the Hanafi Sunni school of Islam.

The Dawoodi Bohras and the Khoja are Shi'a Muslims came from north western India (Gujarat state) after 1880; in the 1980s they collectively numbered fewer than 2,000. These groups tended to retain their own places of worship and the languages of their ancestral homelands.

I don't see any sword in spread of Islam in Sri Lanka.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islam_in_Sri_Lanka

Please correct me if I am wrong.

Regards

The Emperor of Mankind

Currently the galaxy's spookiest paraplegic
The truthful religion of Zoroaster- the Prophet had already died; only the legacy remained; and slowly people got converted to Islam; and this process took some centuries.

I think I mentioned in another thread the reason as to why Zoroastrianism became almost extinct.

There is no life in Zoroastrianism to spread; had there been any; it would have spread even afterwards.

Many an invaders attacked the Muslim dynasties; ultimately the invaders themselves got converted to Islam.

Example:

Mongols and Tatars

Regards

Nonsense. You are in no position to judge the spiritual state of Zoroastrianism - whether at the end of the Sassanid Empire or today. This is the same sort of revisionism as the kind employed by some Christians who would have us believe European Pagans converted in droves because they all saw their native traditions lacked meaning or spiritual depth in the face of Christ's message - utter fiction. And it's all to do with making Islam look good. The sorry fact is we only need to look at how Zoroastrians are treated in Iran today to see how 'benevolently' Islam treats minorities - they're even accused of being polytheists which is an outright lie.

That invading peoples like the Mongols converted to Islam does not speak to its truth value any more than the Norsemen invading England and converting to Christianity makes Christianity true. Typically conversions happened for political reasons.

The Emperor of Mankind

No.
I don't see any sword in spread of Islam in Sri Lanka.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islam_in_Sri_Lanka

Please correct me if I am wrong.

Regards

The question isn't "Was Islam spread by the sword in Sri Lanka?". The question is "Was Islam spread by the sword?" and it was. That it wasn't spread by the sword in some places does not mean it wasn't spread by the sword at all. Stop being disingenuous.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
The question isn't "Was Islam spread by the sword in Sri Lanka?". The question is "Was Islam spread by the sword?" and it was. That it wasn't spread by the sword in some places does not mean it wasn't spread by the sword at all. Stop being disingenuous.

I don't agree with you.
Regards

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Was Islam spread by the sword? Yes. The fall of the Sasanian empire to the armies of Islam show that the religion gained ground on the back of military triumphs. And yes, it has persecuted other belief systems despite attempts at revising history to make Islam's past seem more benign. What would the Parsis have been fleeing Iran for if they were well treated and their religion was accommodated?

One may like to read post #93 by friend Augustus which is relevant about Iran also.
Regards

The Emperor of Mankind

One may like to read post #93 by friend Augustus which is relevant about Iran also.
Regards

His post still doesn't argue against the question of how Islam got to Iran in the first place. Islam arrived in Iran as a direct result of the Muslim conquest of the Sassanid dynasty. Only somebody with their mind made up and determined they must be right could look at The Islamic conquest of Iran and say it wasn't about conquering.

Unification

Peace is supposed to be spread in the mind by slaying and overcoming ones own mental enemies that enslaves them.

Not violence by a literal sword.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
His post still doesn't argue against the question of how Islam got to Iran in the first place. Islam arrived in Iran as a direct result of the Muslim conquest of the Sassanid dynasty. Only somebody with their mind made up and determined they must be right could look at The Islamic conquest of Iran and say it wasn't about conquering.
Sorry, we are discussing spread of Islam, not the first place.
Regrds

The Emperor of Mankind

Why can't I? If others put any allegation against Quran/Islam/Muhammad; why can't I defend it with reasonable argument?
Regards

Saying "your faith has no spiritual life left in it" is not a reasonable argument. In fact it's not even an argument - it's just useless slander against a religion whose holy text you've probably not even taken a peek at. Indeed, it is beneficial for you to advocate such a position as Islam argues itself the final message & spiritual successor to, among others, Zoroastrianism. For you to say otherwise would weaken the claim of Muhammed.

And yet your claim that Zoroastrianism has no spiritual life left in it is perhaps the most honest you've been about the religion - and it shows the supremacist attitude inherent to Islamic dogma. In light of this I, and I suspect others, find your obsession with being given quotes from Zoroaster all the more confusing. You've already decided his is a message devoid of spiritual purpose. What do you care?

Edit: And my suspicions about you are proven correct. You aren't interested in Zoroastrianism - you're just interested in proving your religion is the successor and is therefore better.

Last edited:
It all depend on what you count as being 'spread by the sword'.

Were there mass forced conversions? No
Did some countries adopt Islam through trade and interaction with Muslims? Yes
Would Islam have spread as much if the Arabs had not been the imperial master's of a large empire? No

The Emperor of Mankind

Please read post #2272 above.
Regards

That doesn't answer my question. You said the Islamic conquest of Iran is irrelevant to the topic of the spread of Islam - even though Islam's spread into Iranian society occurred as a direct result of the Arab conquest of the Persian Empire. That Islam spread to other places through peaceful means like trade doesn't change the fact it also spread to others as a direct result of conflict.

Last edited:

Crypto2015

Even Mohammad said "I have been made victorious with terror". Of course that Islam spread by the sword. Moreover, it survives by the sword: they kill anyone who questions the tenets of Islam or abandons Islam.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Even Mohammad said "I have been made victorious with terror". Of course that Islam spread by the sword. Moreover, it survives by the sword: they kill anyone who questions the tenets of Islam or abandons Islam.
Please quote from Quran the verse and the verses in the context in this connection.
Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.