• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Was Islam spread by the sword?

Status
Not open for further replies.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Yes,I am from that part from Europe,things change?Certainly not. BUT;
I was not part of that bloody war,nor my friends or relatives or anything I was attached.
Even there, the Communist government under Tito forced a peace between the warring factions, so there was a period where everything appeared to be hunky dory. However, once the yolk of communism was removed the old rivalries resurfaced and the fight was on. The Serbians, for example, may well have been too aggressive in dealing with Muslims in this day and age, but the forefathers of those Muslims most certainly bitterly fought and sought to enslave the Serbs, Croats and whoever else got in their path in that time period.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Janissaries

Don't even get me started on the Armenian genocide...

Even there, the Communist government under Tito forced a peace between the warring factions, so there was a period where everything appeared to be hunky dory. However, once the yolk of communism was removed the old rivalries resurfaced and the fight was on. The Serbians, for example, may well have been too aggressive in dealing with Muslims in this day and age, but the forefathers of those Muslims most certainly bitterly fought and sought to enslave the Serbs, Croats and whoever else got in their path in that time period.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Janissaries

Don't even get me started on the Armenian genocide...

Might be interested in these

Good Fences: The Importance of Setting Boundaries for Peaceful Coexistence

We consider the conditions of peace and violence among ethnic groups, testing a theory designed to predict the locations of violence and interventions that can promote peace. Characterizing the model’s success in predicting peace requires examples where peace prevails despite diversity. Switzerland is recognized as a country of peace, stability and prosperity. This is surprising because of its linguistic and religious diversity that in other parts of the world lead to conflict and violence. Here we analyze how peaceful stability is maintained. Our analysis shows that peace does not depend on integrated coexistence, but rather on well defined topographical and political boundaries separating groups. Mountains and lakes are an important part of the boundaries between sharply defined linguistic areas. Political canton and circle (sub-canton) boundaries often separate religious groups. Where such boundaries do not appear to be sufficient, we find that specific aspects of the population distribution either guarantee sufficient separation or sufficient mixing to inhibit intergroup violence according to the quantitative theory of conflict. In exactly one region, a porous mountain range does not adequately separate linguistic groups and violent conflict has led to the recent creation of the canton of Jura. Our analysis supports the hypothesis that violence between groups can be inhibited by physical and political boundaries. A similar analysis of the area of the former Yugoslavia shows that during widespread ethnic violence existing political boundaries did not coincide with the boundaries of distinct groups, but peace prevailed in specific areas where they did coincide. The success of peace in Switzerland may serve as a model to resolve conflict in other ethnically diverse countries and regions of the world.

http://necsi.edu/research/social/peaceplos.html

Step by Step to Stability and Peace in Syria

We consider the conditions of peace and violence among ethnic groups, testing a theory designed to predict the locations of violence and interventions that can promote peace. Characterizing the model’s success in predicting peace requires examples where peace prevails despite diversity. Switzerland is recognized as a country of peace, stability and prosperity. This is surprising because of its linguistic and religious diversity that in other parts of the world lead to conflict and violence. Here we analyze how peaceful stability is maintained. Our analysis shows that peace does not depend on integrated coexistence, but rather on well defined topographical and political boundaries separating groups. Mountains and lakes are an important part of the boundaries between sharply defined linguistic areas. Political canton and circle (sub-canton) boundaries often separate religious groups. Where such boundaries do not appear to be sufficient, we find that specific aspects of the population distribution either guarantee sufficient separation or sufficient mixing to inhibit intergroup violence according to the quantitative theory of conflict. In exactly one region, a porous mountain range does not adequately separate linguistic groups and violent conflict has led to the recent creation of the canton of Jura. Our analysis supports the hypothesis that violence between groups can be inhibited by physical and political boundaries. A similar analysis of the area of the former Yugoslavia shows that during widespread ethnic violence existing political boundaries did not coincide with the boundaries of distinct groups, but peace prevailed in specific areas where they did coincide. The success of peace in Switzerland may serve as a model to resolve conflict in other ethnically diverse countries and regions of the world.

http://www.necsi.edu/research/ethnicviolence/stepbystep.html

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Might be interested in these

Good Fences: The Importance of Setting Boundaries for Peaceful Coexistence
SO... we just rope off the Muslim world and everything will be ducky? Keeping folks contained within their borders might prove interesting.

codex

Being a natural world-view the Truthful Religion always spreads peacefully . It has the strongest base of valid signs, arguments and reasons so it does not need any force to win hearts and souls of the humans.
Thanks and regards

Mate. You truly speak nonsense.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
No.
Islam did not spread by sword. In fact sword is a hindrance in the way of spread of Islam. Quran provides both commandments and the gist of wisdom of the same; this peculiarity is not retained in book of any other revealed religion.Islam flourishes most in peace with its strong reasonable and rational arguments.
For example:

Peaceful Spread of Islam in [URL='https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Czech_Republic'] Czech Republic[/URL]: [1]
125px-Flag_of_the_Czech_Republic.svg.png

220px-Brno_Mosque%2C_Czech_Republic.JPG

Brno Mosque in the Czech Republic

The Czech Republic ( i/ˈtʃɛk rᵻˈpʌblɪk/chek-rə-pub-lik;[10]Czech: Česká republika[ˈt͡ʃɛskaː ˈrɛpuˌblɪka] ( listen)), also known asCzechia ( i/ˈtʃɛkiə/che-kee-ə; Czech: ČeskoCzech pronunciation:[ˈt͡ʃɛsko]), is a nation state in Central Europe bordered by Germany to the west, Austria to the south, Slovakia to the east and Poland to the northeast.[11] The Czech Republic covers an area of 78,866 square kilometres (30,450 sq mi) with mostly temperate continental climate. It is a unitaryparliamentary republic, has 10.5 million inhabitants and the capital and largest city is Prague, with over 1.2 million residents. The Czech Republic includes its historical territories of Bohemia,[12]Moravia, and Czech Silesia.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Czech_Republic

Most of the Muslims are from Bosnia-Herzegovina (early 1990s) and former countries of Soviet Union (mostly from Caucasus region, from the late 1990s until the present). A significant and influential part are the middle-class people of Egyptian, Syrian and other Middle Eastern ancestries (typically those who studied in Czechoslovakia and decided to stay). A few hundred Muslims are Czech converts.[2]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islam_in_the_Czech_Republic

Country/region:[URL='https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Czech_Republic'] Czech Republic[/URL]
Muslim population 2010 Pew Report[1]:10,500*
Muslim percentage (%) of total population 2010 Pew Report[1] :< 0.1
Percentage (%) of World Muslim population 2010 Pew Report[1] :< 0.1
Muslim Population Other Sources : -
*According to the 2010 census, there are 19,097 Muslims in the Czech Republic (less than 0.1% of country's population), compared to 495 in 1991.[1]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islam_by_country
*One should note increase of Muslims from 495 in 1991 to 19,097 in 2010.
Islam spread peacefully in [URL='https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Czech_Republic'] Czech Republic[/URL].
Please correct me if I am wrong.
Regards

The Emperor of Mankind

Currently the galaxy's spookiest paraplegic
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Cyprus facing a lot of issues with illegal immigrants? Judging by the current situation in Europe, it's not by sword but there sure is force? And there surely are (and I'm sure there were) Muslims who spread Islam by sword or force. I didn't also read the whole thread since there are 170 pages, aren't some (legit Muslim) sources telling how Muhammad spread Islam by sword, killed older people, children, etc? You are a really good poster so I look forward for your reply on this question. :)

To summarise what you've missed: the vast majority of paarsurrey's posts thus far have been a simple copy & paste job from each country's respective entry on Wikipedia - specifically the paragraph(s) that deals with a country's Muslim population. Invariably in his rush to show us yet another country where Islam "did not spread by the sword", paarsurrey skims over paragraphs like this one (from the Wikipedia entry on Cyprus):

"Islam in Cyprus was introduced when the island finally fell to Ottoman invaders in 1571. Prior to this, the Muslim presence on the island was itinerant, with Arab raiders intermittently visiting and plundering coastal settlements."

Oh, and he also invariably moves the goalposts by switching his references from Islam (in general) and Ahmadi Islam (which started in the late 19th Century - and as such couldn't have been practised by Muhammed).

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
To summarise what you've missed: the vast majority of paarsurrey's posts thus far have been a simple copy & paste job from each country's respective entry on Wikipedia - specifically the paragraph(s) that deals with a country's Muslim population. Invariably in his rush to show us yet another country where Islam "did not spread by the sword", paarsurrey skims over paragraphs like this one (from the Wikipedia entry on Cyprus):
"Islam in Cyprus was introduced when the island finally fell to Ottoman invaders in 1571. Prior to this, the Muslim presence on the island was itinerant, with Arab raiders intermittently visiting and plundering coastal settlements."
Oh, and he also invariably moves the goalposts by switching his references from Islam (in general) and Ahmadi Islam (which started in the late 19th Century - and as such couldn't have been practised by Muhammed).
I provide the reference so that one could read the whole article if one likes. I discuss the religion not the politics.
Regards

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
No.
Islam did not spread by sword. In fact sword is a hindrance in the way of spread of Islam. Quran provides both commandments and the gist of wisdom of the same; this peculiarity is not retained in book of any other revealed religion.Islam flourishes most in peace with its strong reasonable and rational arguments.
For example:

Peaceful Spread of Islam in Czech Republic: [2]

90s.jpg

http://www.yelp.com/search?cflt=mosques&find_loc=Breclav

The Czech Republic is a nation state in Central Europe bordered by Germany to the west, Austria to the south, Slovakia to the east and Poland to the northeast.[11]

Most of the Muslims are from Bosnia-Herzegovina (early 1990s) and former countries of Soviet Union (mostly from Caucasus region, from the late 1990s until the present). A significant and influential part are the middle-class people of Egyptian, Syrian and other Middle Eastern ancestries (typically those who studied in Czechoslovakia and decided to stay).A few hundred Muslims are Czech converts.[2]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islam_in_the_Czech_Republic
Life as a Muslim in Prague Talah Nadeem
How is life in Prague for a Muslim? I have been asked this question a lot since I moved here. “Life is good”- that’s the simplest and most generic answer I can give. It’s a rather complex “good” though, because to be honest, in the current political climate of the world, being a Muslim is not easy.
I’m a moderate Muslim - I don’t drink or do drugs or have pre-marital sex, I’ve never tried to impose my beliefs on anyone, I’m a fun-loving individual, and on top of that I’m a proud Mancunian (i.e. from Manchester).
For me integration is the key. Just because you can’t drink or “fraternize” with a girl doesn’t mean you can’t have a good time. This is exactly the stage in which Muslims in Prague struggle: when I tell Czechs that I don’t drink, I automatically get looked down on and almost treated as a pariah. Unfortunately, this is the case for most Muslims. A barrier is created and most Muslims seclude themselves, which is rather sad. I’m lucky that the friends I have made here have never pressured me to try anything that’s prohibited by my religion, nor have they pushed me out of my comfort zone.
It’s every Muslim’s responsibility to deplore the radical elements within our religion and to show our compassion as human beings. I’d like to use this platform to tell the people of Prague and Czechs that the acts committed in our name by so-called Muslims horrify us just as much as they horrify you. However, the distrust of Muslims here has led to us being demonized. A prime example of this is an event held in Prague every year calling for the removal of Muslims from the Czech Republic. Unfortunately scores of individuals turn up to these events to show support, regretfully these rallies are hijacked by fascist and neo-Nazi groups preaching racial intolerance and hatred, with many innocent people being attacked or verbally abused. This is unnerving, to say the least, but it just shows that every society has its “bad eggs”.
(Only some passages from the article have been given).For more, please access the following link.
http://www.pritomnost.cz/en/society/925-life-as-a-muslim-in-prague

Country/region: Czech Republic
*According to the 2010 census, there are 19,097 Muslims in the Czech Republic (less than 0.1% of country's population), compared to 495 in 1991.[1]

Islam spread peacefully in Czech Republic.
Regards

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
No.
For example:

Peaceful Spread of Islam in Czech Republic: [3]

The Czech Republic is a nation state in Central Europe bordered by Germany to the west, Austria to the south, Slovakia to the east and Poland to the northeast.[11]

Czech Scientist Woman Converted to Islam

Country/region: Czech Republic

Regards

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
No.
For example:

Peaceful Spread of Islam in Czech Republic: [4]

Beauty Queen of Czech Democratic Republic Marketa Korinkova embraces Islam
download-1-2.jpg

Former Beauty Queen of Democratic Republic of Czechoslovakia, Marketa Korinkova embraced Islam after repenting to lead the life of Christianity. She said that she has decided to embrace Islam and settled down in Dubai relinquishing her native country. She also changed her name as Maryam. She said that the status given to Muslim women in Islam attracted her to accept this faith. She has been thinking of embracing this faith for the past three years. She made a public announcement in Dubai of her accepting Islam.

According to a report published in Arab Journal “Al Quds-al-Arabi”, in London, international fame production designer, super-model and film actress, Marketa Korinkova surprised her fans by making this announcement. She was elected Miss Universe in a beauty contest held in Italy, after which she gained international fame. Many multinational companies acquired her services for publicizing their products. Very soon, she became the super model. Hollywood also offered her to perform in their films. In the film ME90LOVE, she had played a key role. She held the position of Director of Prague’s Film Academy FAMU. She is an acclaimed international designer. She also has an advertising company in Prague. A noted company of Dubai, Ali and Sons Group of Companies appointed her as their Sales Manager.

She holds a master’s degree in English Literature from Charles University ofPrague. Later, she did her MA in Production Designing from National Film and TV School of the Royal College of Arts, London. She also worked for BBC.
http://www.siasat.com/news/beauty-q...blic-marketa-korinkova-embraces-islam-924066/
For full details, please access the above link.

Regards

gnostic

The Lost One
So are you going to ignore the part in your wikipedia article, in which the Ottoman Turks began invading Bohemia (now Czech Republic) in the mid-17th century, paarsurrey?

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
That counts as politics, not religion. Paarsurrey discusses religion, not politics, apparently :rolleyes:
Different individual rulers could do any good are bad works, Quran does not approve all acts done by them. If any ruler did try to make war or invade others just for conversion of religion that is an act neither it is needed nor approved by G-d.
Yes, I don't discuss politics. I discuss the religion of Quran/Islam/Muhammad.
Regards

Tomorrows_Child

How is Islam spreading in modern day Britain? How did it arrive in what we now call Ethiopia? How did Islam spread in the Arabian peninsula, in particular Makkah and Medina?

Islam did not start it's spread via military conquests, although they would have occurred due to various reasons.

Gharib

I want Khilafah back
To claim that Islam was spread by force is a great show of ignorance to say the least without being rude.

I wonder why the Mongols embraced Islam when they tore through Baghdad, the then capital of the Islamic Empire, Muslims were no match for them, in fact over a million people died there in which rivers turned red with blood.

I ask this to anyone who 'knows Islamic history', why did the Mongols, namely their leader, the nephew of Genghis Khan accept Islam when they were the ones doing all the killing and waving swords??

Any takers?

Flankerl

The Mongols didn't embrace Islam. Some parts of the Mongol Empire did. You better learn some history, actual history not what your Imam tells you.
Also no Khagan of the Mongol Empire ever embraced Islam.

Status
Not open for further replies.