• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Was Jesus Eaten By Dogs?

A

angellous_evangellous

Rephrase:

1) There were dogs in the Roman world

2) There were a lot of people who were crucified and eaten by dogs (there would be absolutely no archaeological proof for this, and very little literary evidence, if any)

3) Jesus was crucified

4) Jesus was eaten by dogs, despite any evidence pointing to such a thing

I don't see why the Jews or Romans would bother moving crucified bodies and dumping them anywhere. Normally the crucified were just left by the side of the road, perhaps sometimes removed by friends and family for burial. But the Romans didn't care about the crucified, and the Jews would bury them properly if they bothered to remove the body.

Super Universe

Defender of God
because people worshipped another living being...
and the only living being that was to be worshipped was caesar...

Okay, but the bible says that the Jewish leaders brought Jesus to Pilate and Pilate attempted to wash his hands of the whole thing. Why would the Jewish leaders even be mentioned if this was entirely a Roman persecution?

Super Universe

Defender of God
He disrupted the commerce of the temple and told people he was the real king of the Jews. Sedition and trying to cause a riot were capital offences.

Okay, if you want to believe this then lets go with it. So, He disrupted the commerce of the Temple. But aren't temples religious places, what would the Romans care about a Jewish Temple?

Inthedark

If Jesus was a nobody with a small following then why was He crucified?

Crossan theorised that he had a small following, was an agitator if you like, a potential trouble causer. Jesus took that a step further and turned over the tables in the temple and this is what Crossan believes he was crucified for. It's been a while since I read the book but I think he said any trial or meeting with anyone of significant authority would have been unlikely, he would have just been killed in the usual manner of the day and the body dumped in a shallow grave in the usual manner.

As for interfering with Roman justice as it was and removing a body for special treatment, who knows? I would have thought they would have had rules about that to make an example but I'm only guessing - but aren't we all?

:)

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist
I don't think that it's absurd. I think that he's saying something that he knows is stupid (or just historically plausible enough to be provocative) to sell books to people like you.

I'd do the same thing if I didn't have a soul.

I have to agree with you there. I believe it comes from his book, A Revolutionary Biography, which is meant to be porvocative. I don't think he includes that idea in his longer look at Jesus though.

CynthiaCypher

He did. Once again, why would any Roman care enough to risk upsetting the local population over this?

Did Jesus disrupt any Roman thing? Didn't He say "Give to Ceaser what belongs to Ceaser".

He called himself king then tried to cause a riot in the temple during Passover. Have you read history? This was grounds for a charge of sedition, I wonder why they just didn't arrest him in the temple

Trey of Diamonds

So was Jesus actually buried in the tomb of a wealthy man or did the Romans treat him like every other rabble rouser and just dump his body in the trash and let it be eaten by dogs?

Does it matter? Would it change your opinion of Jesus? Do you think it should influence others opinion of him? What is the purpose of your question?

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist
given the idea that flesh an blood cannot inherit the kingdom of heaven, i don't see why jesus had to be buried. something paul wrote...before the gospel narratives were written setting up a context for which jesus would be set a part from the other messiahs running around...

That's what I was trying to get at. The tomb story is not necessary, so we then need to think about why it was added. For me, I think it was probably because it occurred.

CynthiaCypher

Does it matter? Would it change your opinion of Jesus? Do you think it should influence others opinion of him? What is the purpose of your question?

I don't care about influence the opinions of others, if people want believe that Jesus came from outer space then so what. I just want to piece together the true story as best as I can.