• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Was Jesus Psychotic?

Some folks believe Jesus might have had a mental health issue; if he actually existed.

http://neuro.psychiatryonline.org/doi/full/10.1176/appi.neuropsych.11090214

I don't believe the Jesus character actually existed. But his claimed teachings are not sane. No one loves their enemies and behaves like they love them. Are we supposed to love terrorists who seek to kill our friends and family ? Were we supposed to drop flowers on Nazi Germany in WWII instead of bombs ? No one does that. It might sound nice, in theory, but it is not realistic and would be self destructive if people actually did it. And when people claim they love everyone, including people they don't even know, I don't believe them.

The Jesus character also said people should give up everything, including their families, to follow him. IMO, That is crazy.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
Except...

Hatred divides. Love unites.

Love is two bodies being of one mind. Mencius.

14 Do not be yoked together with disbelievers. For what does loving kindness and hatred have in common? Or what fellowship can understanding have with confusion?

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
Uh

Lol remember these same people till 1974 also claimed that homo sexuality was a mental disorder, they aren't the sharpest tools in the shed just highly educated. Like the wierd cousin who is a social misfit but has a PhD.
your avatar reminds me of cernunnos, the lord of the dance.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
Ultimately, it's unethical to try to diagnose/attach diagnosis labels on such a figure. We don't even know if Paul actually saw a light/heard a voice-something that resembles a psychotic disorder-or if he just made the whole thing up. Was Moses' burning bush a form of mental illness, or drug induced hallucination? The fact the stories as recorded are less than second-hand accounts makes such a task pretty much impossible.
Lol remember these same people till 1974 also claimed that homo sexuality was a mental disorder
So? Science is supposed to be updated when new evidence is presented. And, no, they aren't the same people. Psychiatrists and neuropsychology are two different fields of study.

Grumpuss

healthy relationships are based on mutual respect. they aren't based on blind faith to authority. anyone can call themselves what they will but pretty is as pretty does. love doesn't enslave even though a bond is formed one to another.
Sounds like you don't have a healthy respect for the Shogun of Harlem...

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
Some folks believe Jesus might have had a mental health issue; if he actually existed.
They are the same people that believe that the landing on the moon was a Hollywood production.

Ponder This

A lot of analysis of mental health relies on an agreement about what is "normal". Anything that is not normal is abnormal.
The next main topic is people who are suffering unwanted conditions.
The third main topic is people who may pose a threat to others or to themselves.
This comprises the first set of most pertinent questions. After that it's about identifying the specific condition and potential treatments.

Clearly Jesus wasn't normal. Therefore, he was abnormal.
It does not appear that his experiences were unwanted.
Jesus didn't pose a threat to others or to himself.

So that just leaves that he was abnormal... even if you say it was psychosis it doesn't actually end up amounting to much of anything. All that modern psychology would try to do is "treat" his "symptoms" in order to make him more "normal".

wizanda

One Accepts All Religious Texts
Premium Member
Having worked in mental care, there is a difference in many schizophrenics who are often trying to make themselves into something more, often because of trauma, that then leads to an over active ego response.

Within someone having real events seen by other people, and experienced by many, it sort of makes it that it isn't only a fantasy within their mind.

Numerous things by Yeshua happened for others as well; so we have to differentiate what could have been his own psychosis, and which bits are beyond a normal internal comprehension.

Considering there were numerous real events that then took place fulfilling numerous Tanakh prophecies; we'd then have to start claiming they were all schizophrenic, possibly due to having the Holy cannabis anointing oil...

Yet then this gets even more far fetched, as we can expand this cannabis psychosis to most major religions globally.

Thus when psychosis is 'a severe mental disorder in which thought and emotions are so impaired that contact is lost with external reality'; therefore the rest of us might be mental for not recognizing the real events, history, and outcome of what is foretold. :innocent:

MJFlores

Mark 3:20-23; John 10:20-21

Then Jesus entered a house, and again a crowd gathered, so that he and his disciples were not even able to eat. When his family heard about this, they went to take charge of him, for they said, He is out of his mind.”

And the teachers of the law who came down from Jerusalem said, “He is possessed by Beelzebul! By the prince of demons he is driving out demons.”

So Jesus called them over to him and began to speak to them in parables: “How can Satan drive out Satan?

Many of them said, “He is demon-possessed and raving mad. Why listen to him?”

But others said, “These are not the sayings of a man possessed by a demon. Can a demon open the eyes of the blind?

jesushealstheblind1.gif

Maybe without the miracles performed by God through the Lord Jesus Christ - the wicked adulterous generation might agree he is suffering from mental illness, aside from being demon possessed. But God performed numerous miracles through the Lord Jesus to show that he was sent.

jesus-miracles-by-oneman-prayer-for-mandela.png

Can an insane person perform miracles? I do not think so. There are passages in the Bible that may sound weird to a person but Jesus is just following orders from God what to speak.

John 14:10
Don’t you believe that I am in the Father, and that the Father is in me? The words I say to you I do not speak on my own authority. Rather, it is the Father, living in me, who is doing his work.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
John 14:10
Don’t you believe that I am in the Father, and that the Father is in me? The words I say to you I do not speak on my own authority. Rather, it is the Father, living in me, who is doing his work.

if God is omnipresent, then.......................................................

20 On that day you will realize/understand that I am in my Father and you are in me, and I am in you.

One then must ask themselves, what am i waiting for? Isn't the kingdom of heaven at hand; if ONE can grasp/comprehend it. The kingdom of God comes from within you, doesn't it? What then is heaven within self? What then are the clouds in which he is coming? When will I see? When will I know? Isn't it an imprint upon the mind? rev 22:4

What is the power within self that can move mountains?

Isn't it Love? because God is Love and Love is not a respecter of persons.

Every valley shall be raised up, every mountain and hill made low; the rough ground shall become level, the rugged places a plain.

But those who exalt themselves will be humbled, and those who humble themselves will be exalted.

But when you are invited, take the lowest place, so that when your host comes, he will say to you, ‘Friend, moveup to a better place.’ Then you will be honored in the presence of all the other guests.

Be still and know that I AM god. I Am that I AM

Last edited:

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
You didn't answer my question. Do you or do you not believe Jesus had the authority to say and do the things He said and did?

actually I did answer the question. Jesus got his information and authority from the same place everyone does, from within. Be still and know that I AM god.

the Father in self.

No longer will they teach their neighbor, or say to one another, ‘Know the Lord,’ because they will all know me, from the least of them to the greatest.

Jesus gave them this answer: “Very truly I tell you, the Son can do nothing by himself; he can do only what he sees his Father doing, because whatever the Father does the Son also does.

didn't God create heaven and earth? and everything in it?

No one has seen the Father except the one who is from God; only he has seen the Father.

Isn't everyone born of the same Spirit that created everything?

Through it all things were made; without him nothing was begotten that has been begotten.

5 Jesus answered, “Very truly I tell you, no one can enter the kingdom of God unless they are born of water and the Spirit. Flesh gives birth to flesh, but the Spirit gives birth to spirit. You must be born again.’ [resurrected]8 The wind blows wherever it pleases. You hear its sound, but you cannot tell where it comes from or where it is going. So it is with everyone born of the Spirit.

Last edited:

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
A lot of analysis of mental health relies on an agreement about what is "normal". Anything that is not normal is abnormal.

In some sense, our normal can be abnormal.

My wife, during her youth living in Venezuela, lived in an old colonial style house of 9 rooms. Sounds nice, but it was in the poor section of Caracas and the rooms were rented out because her father left the wife and the 4 girls forcing her to rent the rooms to make ends meet.

When it rained, some rooms needed pots to catch the rain. Three of the girls shared a twin bed in a room that was about a 10x10. The extra large kitchen was shared by all and it included sharing it with the mice that ran rampant at night. One shower and one toilet for everyone. She saw murder, prostitution and men dragging women on the floor by their hair.

For her, it was normal life and she assumed that all marriages eventually ended in divorce after about 7 years for it was "normal" living. Normal because that is what she lived in day in and day out. I would call that abnormal.

Was Jesus abnormal?

In context of mankind living what they would call a normal life, Jesus was abnormal. But actually, it is mankind (speaking in a broad brush application) who has lived so long in abusive rat-infested lives that think that their lives are normal when in reality mankind are the ones that are abnormal and psychotic.

Jesus brought love, healed the sick, rebuked the religious and set people free. As the very expression of God, it is through Him that we find was is normal and from that point of reference, we can determine what is abnormal.

Last edited:

MJFlores

if God is omnipresent, then.......................................................

20 On that day you will realize/understand that I am in my Father and you are in me, and I am in you.

One then must ask themselves, what am i waiting for? Isn't the kingdom of heaven at hand; if ONE can grasp/comprehend it. The kingdom of God comes from within you, doesn't it? What then is heaven within self? What then are the clouds in which he is coming? When will I see? When will I know? Isn't it an imprint upon the mind? rev 22:4

What is the power within self that can move mountains?

Isn't it Love? because God is Love and Love is not a respecter of persons.

Every valley shall be raised up, every mountain and hill made low; the rough ground shall become level, the rugged places a plain.

But those who exalt themselves will be humbled, and those who humble themselves will be exalted.

But when you are invited, take the lowest place, so that when your host comes, he will say to you, ‘Friend, moveup to a better place.’ Then you will be honored in the presence of all the other guests.

Be still and know that I AM god. I Am that I AM

Is there a psychotic who can turn water into wine?

tenorpsychotic.gif

I don't know anybody but I know the Lord Jesus and he isn't psychotic.

John 2:1-11 New International Version (NIV)

On the third day a wedding took place at Cana in Galilee. Jesus’ mother was there, and Jesus and his disciples had also been invited to the wedding. When the wine was gone, Jesus’ mother said to him, “They have no more wine.”

“Woman, why do you involve me?” Jesus replied. “My hour has not yet come.”

His mother said to the servants, “Do whatever he tells you.”

Nearby stood six stone water jars, the kind used by the Jews for ceremonial washing, each holding from twenty to thirty gallons.

Jesus said to the servants, “Fill the jars with water”; so they filled them to the brim.

Then he told them, “Now draw some out and take it to the master of the banquet.”

They did so, and the master of the banquet tasted the water that had been turned into wine. He did not realize where it had come from, though the servants who had drawn the water knew. Then he called the bridegroom aside and said, “Everyone brings out the choice wine first and then the cheaper wine after the guests have had too much to drink; but you have saved the best till now.”

What Jesus did here in Cana of Galilee was the first of the signs through which he revealed his glory; and his disciples believed in him.

View attachment 17926

And he turned water into wine. How?

Acts 2:22
“Fellow Israelites, listen to this: Jesus of Nazareth was a man accredited by God to you by miracles, wonders and signs, which God did among you through him, as you yourselves know.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
Is there a psychotic who can turn water into wine?

View attachment 17927

I don't know anybody but I know the Lord Jesus and he isn't psychotic.

John 2:1-11 New International Version (NIV)

On the third day a wedding took place at Cana in Galilee. Jesus’ mother was there, and Jesus and his disciples had also been invited to the wedding. When the wine was gone, Jesus’ mother said to him, “They have no more wine.”

“Woman, why do you involve me?” Jesus replied. “My hour has not yet come.”

His mother said to the servants, “Do whatever he tells you.”

Nearby stood six stone water jars, the kind used by the Jews for ceremonial washing, each holding from twenty to thirty gallons.

Jesus said to the servants, “Fill the jars with water”; so they filled them to the brim.

Then he told them, “Now draw some out and take it to the master of the banquet.”

They did so, and the master of the banquet tasted the water that had been turned into wine. He did not realize where it had come from, though the servants who had drawn the water knew. Then he called the bridegroom aside and said, “Everyone brings out the choice wine first and then the cheaper wine after the guests have had too much to drink; but you have saved the best till now.”

What Jesus did here in Cana of Galilee was the first of the signs through which he revealed his glory; and his disciples believed in him.

View attachment 17926

And he turned water into wine. How?

Acts 2:22
“Fellow Israelites, listen to this: Jesus of Nazareth was a man accredited by God to you by miracles, wonders and signs, which God did among you through him, as you yourselves know.

Very truly I tell you, whoever believes in me will do the works I have been doing, and they will do even greater things than these, because I am going to the Father.

25 Superhuman Abilities You Can Gain Through Practicing Yoga and Meditation

Ponder This

LOL. Tell that to the pig farmer who lost his herd, the owner of the fig tree that was killed, the people assaulted by bull whips, the general attention-whoring that brought down lethal Roman reactions, etc.

Did the farmer lose his herd because Jesus heard voices or because the herd ran into the sea and drowned?
If you say that Jesus cast demons into the herd, then you affirm Jesus was not hallucinating and therefore not psychotic. If you say, Jesus didn't cast demons into the herd, then what did Jesus have to do with the herd?

Did the fig tree whither because Jesus said a few words to it? If you say yes, then you affirm that he wasn't psychotic, but actually whithered the tree just by talking to it. If Jesus was psychotic, then what did he have to do with the tree?

When Jesus used a bullwhip to drive the money changers out of the temple was he hallucinating? If so what was the hallucination? There is no record of voices telling him to perform this action. Hmmm.. maybe this is the basis for a claim of hyper-religiosity: that he was so upset that money changers were in the temple where people should be praying that he did something about it and quoted religious text while he did it. No, I'm going to actually agree with you on this one. There's some basis here for hyper-religiosity.

What about the general attention whoring? You mean how he constantly told people he had healed to not say anything about him? And then they would go and talk about him anyways? This was really all an elaborate plan to get the attention of the Romans? Did he tell people to rebel against the Romans? What exactly did he do to cause the wrath of the Romans? At his trial, the judge only decided to crucify Jesus to satisfy the Pharisees.