• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Was there anyone before Adam & Eve ?

AxisMundi

E Pluribus Unum!!!
The OP is about PEOPLE - not animals. People with whom God could communicate and have a relationship with.
It would seem that A & E were the first such people.

Hmm, thought Jehovah could do everything?!?

So he can't communicate and have a relationship with, say, a sheep dog? Any people around the world today who care for flocks of sheep are likely to have a very good relationship, and be able to communicate quite well, with their working companions.

Seems like some all powerful diety could at least do the Doc Dolittle with his own creations.

Azakel

Liebe ist für alle da
The OP is asking about PEOPLE (Humans).
And who says I wasn't talking about people(a Person)???
Can you be a bit more explicit ?
My believes are not the same has yours. Though I might somewhat believe in the concept of a Firstborn(like being), that is not what I mean here. It was a reference to something and wondering if anyone gets it.

Beta

And who says I wasn't talking about people(a Person)???

My believes are not the same has yours. Though I might somewhat believe in the concept of a Firstborn(like being), that is not what I mean here. It was a reference to something and wondering if anyone gets it.
If you know something we don't how about sharing it ?

Beta

Hmm, thought Jehovah could do everything?!?

So he can't communicate and have a relationship with, say, a sheep dog? Any people around the world today who care for flocks of sheep are likely to have a very good relationship, and be able to communicate quite well, with their working companions.

Seems like some all powerful diety could at least do the Doc Dolittle with his own creations.
I was treading softly here friend not knowing you or your religious beliefs.
Of course God wants more than just communicate with people but he has to start from 'base' because of our limitations. I mean, if we start in grade 1 he is not going to bring on the finals. God takes his time for our sake.

AxisMundi

E Pluribus Unum!!!
I was treading softly here friend not knowing you or your religious beliefs.
Of course God wants more than just communicate with people but he has to start from 'base' because of our limitations. I mean, if we start in grade 1 he is not going to bring on the finals. God takes his time for our sake.

I would say nearly two hundred thousand years is quite enough time.

logician

The OP is about PEOPLE - not animals. People with whom God could communicate and have a relationship with.
It would seem that A & E were the first such people.

So your claim is that an all-powerful god refuses to have relationships with animals, i.e. creatures he supposedly made?

Seems like he would be missing out on a lot, so what was his point in making them?

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
So your claim is that an all-powerful god refuses to have relationships with animals, i.e. creatures he supposedly made?

Seems like he would be missing out on a lot, so what was his point in making them?

What is the point of making this argument when Beta clearly isn't making this claim?

Azakel

Liebe ist für alle da
If you know something we don't how about sharing it ?
What I know that you don't is my believes. My reference to the Firstborn in human terms was to Clive Barker's Jericho(but I don't think anyone got it).
Now my idea of the 'Firstborn' aren't that of human being but of the first beings to have appeared in the Universe.

What is the point of making this argument when Beta clearly isn't making this claim?
He like to do that a lot. Pay no mind it him.

joea

Oshoyoi
Is this suppose to be a trick question? As Adam and Eve never really existed and their story is just allegory at best, one cannot possibly answer the question in regards to reality.

The question means exactly that ( tricky )..there is never going to be an end to this question.

arimoff

According to Genesis they were the first people on Earth.
Everybody is Entitled to their own opinion but what concerns Genesis, it is speaking about the first few humans on earth. So it is not possible to say that Genesis means something else.

Draka

Wonder Woman
According to Genesis they were the first people on Earth.
Everybody is Entitled to their own opinion but what concerns Genesis, it is speaking about the first few humans on earth. So it is not possible to say that Genesis means something else.

It's very possible to say that Genesis means something else. It's called allegory. In fact, it HAS to mean something else as it simply can't be taken literally as it goes against reality.

Beta

I would say nearly two hundred thousand years is quite enough time.
For a start A & E or mankind have not been here that long and for another we only live a short period of time. What one person learns spiritually can not be transferred to others like material knowledge.

Beta

Seems like you are being difficult.
Relationships between people and animals differ from relationships with other likeminded. Would YOU adopt an animal to be your child ?

AxisMundi

E Pluribus Unum!!!
Seems like you are being difficult.
Relationships between people and animals differ from relationships with other likeminded. Would YOU adopt an animal to be your child ?

Many people do, in fact, treat their animal companion as a child.

For a start A & E or mankind have not been here that long and for another we only live a short period of time. What one person learns spiritually can not be transferred to others like material knowledge.

Anatomically modern humans first appear in the fossil record in Africa about 195,000 years ago, and studies of molecular biology give evidence that the approximate time of divergence from the common ancestor of all modern human populations was 200,000 years ago...

Human - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It's very possible to say that Genesis means something else. It's called allegory. In fact, it HAS to mean something else as it simply can't be taken literally as it goes against reality.

Then Adam and Eve are allegory, which means original sin is merely allagory, which means that there was no need for "god to sacrifice his son" and the entire Jesus fable is allegory, at which time the entirety of Christianity falls apart as there is absolutely no need to be "saved" as there was no original sin.

Draka

Wonder Woman
Then Adam and Eve are allegory, which means original sin is merely allagory, which means that there was no need for "god to sacrifice his son" and the entire Jesus fable is allegory, at which time the entirety of Christianity falls apart as there is absolutely no need to be "saved" as there was no original sin.

The story of Adam and Eve can just be used to reference an inherent nature about humanity to be drawn to things they really shouldn't be and how that can get one in trouble. That, in many cases, it is for one's own good to actually do what is expected and resist temptation. And that not to do so brings consequences that there is no talking oneself out of. Mankind's natural propensity to do things beyond the scope of "acceptable" or "allowed" because we like to push the envelope can be our downfall. So, while the words "original sin" might not exactly be correct, the message is the same. That is what allegory does. It relays a message, a meaning, within a fictional story. One thing stands for and communicates another. One can do the same with the myth of Jesus as well. This doesn't mean that "Christianity falls apart", but that the literalness of it is not necessary and if they look at the deeper meaning behind something they can find something just as profound, if not moreso than taking it literally.

arimoff

Just like I said, what you think it means is totally up to you, but Genesis cannot mean anything else other then stating a historical fact regarding this case.

Draka

Wonder Woman
Just like I said, what you think it means is totally up to you, but Genesis cannot mean anything else other then stating a historical fact regarding this case.

Right back at you...what you think it means is totally up to you. Doesn't mean you are right though. Because...it certainly CAN mean something other than that. Just because you don't want to see it that way doesn't make it any less true. It CANNOT be a historical fact as it DOES NOT agree with REALITY. If you don't live within reality then I guess it means anything you want it to mean to you.