• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Westboro Baptist Church

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
I don't believe that. I believe that religion amplifies what you bring to the table. It doesn't change anything, for good or ill.

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
Only the people can be good or evil and that comes with how they choose to use their religion.
I really don't like to call people "good" and especially "evil" as it implies that these traits are inherent and cannot change. I believe that a "good" person can gradually turn "bad" if they're not careful and that every "bad" person always has the possibility to turn towards good (until death, of course). Granted that it's much easier for someone who is used to doing good to continue than it is for someone who is used to doing bad to start doing good. But I really do believe that the capacity for both is in us at all times.

frg001

Complex bunch of atoms
I don't believe that. I believe that religion amplifies what you bring to the table. It doesn't change anything, for good or ill.

To me it is pretty nailed on. These particular people are an excellent example. Islamic extremists an even better one. There are many people who are otherwise incredibly decent, who develop quite irrational hatred for one group of people or another. And it's mainly to do with 2 ancient books, written in a time when it was ok to treat women as cattle and homosexuality as demonic possession.

Not to mention almost every cult that pops up. Some pretty normal people get involved, and brain-washed into commiting often vile acts. islam and christianity are 2 of the originals.

Every human on the planet has the capacity for good and evil. If they are fed negative messages then that's often the way they will go.

Last edited:

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
Can you demonstrate that the WBC people were basically good and tolerant before the boogeyman religion corrupted them? Can you support your point with any example?

Trey of Diamonds

I really don't like to call people "good" and especially "evil" as it implies that these traits are inherent and cannot change. I believe that a "good" person can gradually turn "bad" if they're not careful and that every "bad" person always has the possibility to turn towards good (until death, of course). Granted that it's much easier for someone who is used to doing good to continue than it is for someone who is used to doing bad to start doing good. But I really do believe that the capacity for both is in us at all times.

I understand and agree. Discussions of Good and Evil can and should be very complex. Calling a person good or evil is really too much of a generalization to be of much use but sometimes it is what the person you are conversing with understands. The Taoist in me recognises that each of us is a combination of postitive and negative forces. Many choose to label those forces with Good and Evil and in discussions with these people it is sometimes easier to work with their labels.

Trey of Diamonds

Can you demonstrate that the WBC people were basically good and tolerant before the boogeyman religion corrupted them? Can you support your point with any example?

Yes, can you? I believe that these people would have found another outlet for their hate if religion hadn't been there for them to use. Blaming Christianity for their existance is just another version of hate.

Luminous

non-existential luminary
I think religion keeps otherwise evil atheists at bay. Its like my Sunday school teacher told my mother: if it was proved that Jesus' bones were found than he would become a bloody murderer because nothing mattered.

frg001

Complex bunch of atoms

Why do I need to? The 'boogyman' religion is just extreme christianity.
And unless you believe that people are born good, or evil, genetically, then it's blindingly obvious that religion can have a hugely negative effect on someones personality...
What makes people do good or evil is their experiences, their surroundings, their influences...Religion plays a major part in many peoples lives, and some people take it all far too seriously. They become upset, and angry at those that go against their sacred texts, and over time it turns into verbal and physical abuse, and even murder.
Any child of that stupid woman will almost certainly grow up to be pretty much the same. The child is a clean slate...negatively affected by her stupid OTT religious views.

frg001

Complex bunch of atoms
Yes, can you? I believe that these people would have found another outlet for their hate if religion hadn't been there for them to use. Blaming Christianity for their existance is just another version of hate.

I''m sorry, but see above post... The fact is all they are doing is taking the bible literally...which millions do. They just voice their feelings instead of keeping it in. I know quite a few people with an irrational hatred of homosexuality... they just tend to keep the snide remarks to close groups. All these people are doing is telling it like they see it, so while their actions and words could be considered evil, their intentions probably aren't. And they get their rules from the bible...which imo is a pretty horrible book, at least the OT anyway...

Luminous

non-existential luminary
I think it transforms rabid bigots into decent people sometimes and sometimes just gives rabid bigots a reason to be rabid bigots.
Religion = set of rules.

frg001

Complex bunch of atoms
I think it transforms rabid bigots into decent people sometimes and sometimes just gives rabid bigots a reason to be rabid bigots.
Religion = set of rules.

The fact is, most children of rabid bigots will become rabid bigots themselves. We are all born innocent. It is the things we are taught, and the things we experience that make us.

Thus children born to fundamentalist religious parents will usually inheret all their hate and prejudice. That seems a pretty clear indication that religion in itself can create bigots...or much much worse.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
The fact is, most children of rabid bigots will become rabid bigots themselves. We are all born innocent. It is the things we are taught, and the things we experience that make us.

Thus children born to fundamentalist religious parents will usually inheret all their hate and prejudice. That seems a pretty clear indication that religion in itself can create bigots...or much much worse.
Yeah, because the parents, they have nothing to do with it. It's all evil religion's fault. :rolleyes:

Trey of Diamonds

Wrong. I agree that the parents are teaching the children to become the same bigots that they are but it isn't the religion's fault. It's the parents fault.

Smoke

Done here.
I don't know what it is that corrupted Fred, but a lifetime of physical and psychological abuse has doubtless had its effect on his children. Their religion is a part of that, but since Fred has shaped his own peculiar form of Christianity, in this case it really all goes back to Fred.

That being said, what he says about queers differs from what Dobson and Robertson say more in tone than in substance.