• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What And, More Importantly, Why?

nonbeliever_92

Before we can have a proper debate about god and religion, we must all assert exactly what is we happen to believe. So below I would like you to answer this:

What is it that you do or don’t believe in and why or why not?

I, myself, believe in no god(s) and I do not have any religion. I do believe in the big bang theory and I do believe that the theory of evolution is true. The reasons that I don’t believe in god(s) or have a religion are numerous but I will give three and try to make them as plain and simple as possible as well as brief.

1.) I don’t believe in god(s) because for thousands of years people have been contemplating and wondering about the “oddities” of the planet and the universe. Religion, I assume, was initially used for explaining what humans couldn’t understand and giving relatable reasons, which would’ve been considered valid and reasonable back then, for natural phenomenon. This is exemplified most perfectly with the Greek gods; Zeus was the head god of the Olympian pantheon. Zeus’s might and power was that he was able to hurl lightning and thunder upon the sky and Earth whenever he wished. Obviously, if one was to assume that this deity never existed, Zeus represented the atmospheric discharge of electricity from one cloud to another or from a cloud to Earth as well as the corresponding expansion of air in the path of lightning causing a booming sound. Today this deity is considered BS, fodder of an ancient ignorant mindset of early humans, by the vast majority of Earth. (For a good example of this research Cargo cults. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cargo_cult)
My point is that if we accept a supernatural entity that creates lightning and thunder as absurd, why would one be expected to believe that a more powerful being magically created the entire universe and everything within it, which is by far a far more complicated feat if you ask me, as true?
Furthermore, if we accept the ancient, outdated god(s) as literary entertainment today because they were written on ancient scrolls millennia ago, why don’t we do the same for the Bible or the Koran or the Torah?

2.) I don’t rely on religion because of its fallacies against accepted and, most plausible, scientific facts. In the Bible it is said that he creates Earth and space (the “heavens”) in six days. But today there is much evidence to prove that earth took several million years to form and the universe in its current state too even more time to form. We accept today that it takes force of gravity helps to coalesce and compress matter into celestial objects and that under the right conditions, life may form and grow and evolve over several billion years.
Also in the Bible god creates man and woman (Adam and Eve) and all plants and animals on Earth. We have fossil records, however, that supports the claim that humans evolved from primitive ape-like mammals and there is no evidence, to my knowledge, to say that man miraculously appeared from nothing because god or gods made it so. In fact, many beings on Earth have evidence of evolution, including plants.
It seems that many religions assert that they “know” how man was made and formed; whether from gods molding them from clay or gods rising man from the dust of the Earth, traditional religions assert the creation of man from everything but a plausible and/or supported explanation, to my knowledge.

3.) I don’t have belief in god(s) because religion inhibits and slows intellectual progress. It seems to me that instead of providing real answers religion simply says “God did it, and that’s the truth,” which is absolutely absurd. It seems that when humans encounter something they can’t understand like the ancient Greeks and lightning, they make up an entirely fictional concept, like Zeus, and assert that it is true, without evidence. If this was ancient Greece and there was a raging thunderstorm outside people would say something along the lines of “Oh the gods! They must be angry; we must sacrifice a goat to appease them!” Not many would wonder if maybe the storm was not caused by gods, and if they did, they were thought of an insane.
Religion and religious followers seem to have such a proud disdain for saying “I don’t know why such-and-such happened” that they would rather say “Oh a sky fairy did it.” Having such an ego that they would rather make up a claim that has no logical sense then say, “Wait, we don’t know now, but maybe if we take a reasonable stand in thinking and investigating, maybe we’ll know later.” I think that it’s sad and pathetic that most don't.
In fact, if an investigation into a natural phenomena was given I an attempt to lead one closer to god and the result was instead suggestive of that no supernatural cause was involved with the phenomena, then the investigation all together was thrown out as “devil work” because of the church’s superstition over upsetting their god(s). This is most notably seen with Newton, Galileo, and Copernicus.
In modern times the church’s superstitions still attempts to inhibit proper learning in schools. Anytime a school system has trouble deciding on presenting to its students a reasonable and supported theory about the origins of life as opposed to an unsupported fairy tale about life just popping in from oblivion, there is a problem.
If we all just took the religious stance of simply believing things without thinking or investigating for ourselves and then rejecting those things that don’t fit with our beliefs, we’d still be in the Stone Age.

GiantHouseKey

Bao Bao...

Theism and religious belief are still, even now, falsely considered to be synonymous *sigh*

What I DO believe will take a huge and for the most part boring (for most people) amount of time.
Why do I believe in them?
1) They don't appear to contradict anything else that is widely accepted or make sense to me (I am, for the most part, a highly logical person).
2) If my religious practices work, then I must be doing something right.
3) There doesn't seem to be any reason to disbelieve anything that has had an impact on me spiritually. Even if the beliefs of another religion turn out to be the truth, the chances of it making much difference to the spiritual practices I employ on a day-to-day basis are small.

You've presented a very good case for not believing in a personal monotheistic deity that I don't feel I need to add too.

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
Seems your beef isn't so much with religion as it is with literalistic interpretations of mythology.

"That which is hateful to you, do not do to your fellow. That is the whole Torah; the rest is the explanation; go and learn."
-Talmud, Shabbat 31a, the "Great Principle" (quote and source obtained from Wikipedia)

"All things therefore whatever you would that men should do to you, even so do you to them; for this is the law and the prophets." (Matt. 7:12, from Codex Sinaiticus - See The Manuscript | Matthew |)

That's religion in a nutshell: the Golden Rule. It is the most basic and important code for any Spiritual Aspirant.

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
Before we can have a proper debate about god and religion, we must all assert exactly what is we happen to believe. So below I would like you to answer this:

It is my understanding that beliefs are not real, except as a conceptual mental constructs, and therefore don't believe them to represent the real.

What is real on the other hand is immutable and is independent of belief and/or non-belief.

Why this is my belief is why non-belief is my belief. :)

I, myself, believe in no god(s) and I do not have any religion. I do believe in the big bang theory and I do believe that the theory of evolution is true. The reasons that I don’t believe in god(s) or have a religion are numerous but I will give three and try to make them as plain and simple as possible as well as brief.

1.) I don’t believe in god(s) because for thousands of years people have been contemplating and wondering about the “oddities” of the planet and the universe. Religion, I assume, was initially used for explaining what humans couldn’t understand and giving relatable reasons, which would’ve been considered valid and reasonable back then, for natural phenomenon. This is exemplified most perfectly with the Greek gods; Zeus was the head god of the Olympian pantheon. Zeus’s might and power was that he was able to hurl lightning and thunder upon the sky and Earth whenever he wished. Obviously, if one was to assume that this deity never existed, Zeus represented the atmospheric discharge of electricity from one cloud to another or from a cloud to Earth as well as the corresponding expansion of air in the path of lightning causing a booming sound. Today this deity is considered BS, fodder of an ancient ignorant mindset of early humans, by the vast majority of Earth. (For a good example of this research Cargo cults. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cargo_cult)
My point is that if we accept a supernatural entity that creates lightning and thunder as absurd, why would one be expected to believe that a more powerful being magically created the entire universe and everything within it, which is by far a far more complicated feat if you ask me, as true?
Furthermore, if we accept the ancient, outdated god(s) as literary entertainment today because they were written on ancient scrolls millennia ago, why don’t we do the same for the Bible or the Koran or the Torah?

2.) I don’t rely on religion because of its fallacies against accepted and, most plausible, scientific facts. In the Bible it is said that he creates Earth and space (the “heavens”) in six days. But today there is much evidence to prove that earth took several million years to form and the universe in its current state too even more time to form. We accept today that it takes force of gravity helps to coalesce and compress matter into celestial objects and that under the right conditions, life may form and grow and evolve over several billion years.
Also in the Bible god creates man and woman (Adam and Eve) and all plants and animals on Earth. We have fossil records, however, that supports the claim that humans evolved from primitive ape-like mammals and there is no evidence, to my knowledge, to say that man miraculously appeared from nothing because god or gods made it so. In fact, many beings on Earth have evidence of evolution, including plants.
It seems that many religions assert that they “know” how man was made and formed; whether from gods molding them from clay or gods rising man from the dust of the Earth, traditional religions assert the creation of man from everything but a plausible and/or supported explanation, to my knowledge.

3.) I don’t have belief in god(s) because religion inhibits and slows intellectual progress. It seems to me that instead of providing real answers religion simply says “God did it, and that’s the truth,” which is absolutely absurd. It seems that when humans encounter something they can’t understand like the ancient Greeks and lightning, they make up an entirely fictional concept, like Zeus, and assert that it is true, without evidence. If this was ancient Greece and there was a raging thunderstorm outside people would say something along the lines of “Oh the gods! They must be angry; we must sacrifice a goat to appease them!” Not many would wonder if maybe the storm was not caused by gods, and if they did, they were thought of an insane.
Religion and religious followers seem to have such a proud disdain for saying “I don’t know why such-and-such happened” that they would rather say “Oh a sky fairy did it.” Having such an ego that they would rather make up a claim that has no logical sense then say, “Wait, we don’t know now, but maybe if we take a reasonable stand in thinking and investigating, maybe we’ll know later.” I think that it’s sad and pathetic that most don't.
In fact, if an investigation into a natural phenomena was given I an attempt to lead one closer to god and the result was instead suggestive of that no supernatural cause was involved with the phenomena, then the investigation all together was thrown out as “devil work” because of the church’s superstition over upsetting their god(s). This is most notably seen with Newton, Galileo, and Copernicus.
In modern times the church’s superstitions still attempts to inhibit proper learning in schools. Anytime a school system has trouble deciding on presenting to its students a reasonable and supported theory about the origins of life as opposed to an unsupported fairy tale about life just popping in from oblivion, there is a problem.
If we all just took the religious stance of simply believing things without thinking or investigating for ourselves and then rejecting those things that don’t fit with our beliefs, we’d still be in the Stone Age.

I believe what I believe because of personal life experience.
Evolution also fits very nicely into my spiritual walk.

As backward as Hellenic religion seems to you the Greeks have provided us with much of our modern day views of the world.
The Ancient Greeks gave us the basis to democratic governments.
The Ancient Greeks gave us theater.
Aristotle gave us logic.
I believe the roots of modern science stem from the ancient Greeks also.
Greeks gave us the basis of modern medicine.

Here is where I got that information from Greek or Roman contributions to the world today? - Yahoo! Answers

The ancient Greeks just don't seem that backward, superstitious and ignorant to me.

And last but not least there are those who still worship the Greek Gods.

DailyFrappe

Ellinais - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited:

nonbeliever_92

Bao Bao...

Theism and religious belief are still, even now, falsely considered to be synonymous *sigh*

I don't consider theism and religious belief synonymous, but i do believe that theism is part of religious belief. Furthermore I may have been a little too centered on monotheism and literalism but that's my point. Please explain to me what you believe and why it is that you believe it. It is impossible to make someone understand but you can at least try to help someone understand.

What I DO believe will take a huge and for the most part boring (for most people) amount of time.

To be honest I think that this is a cop-out. If you aren't going to assert your belief, what is the point of saying why you believe them?

Why do I believe in them?
1) They don't appear to contradict anything else that is widely accepted or make sense to me (I am, for the most part, a highly logical person).
2) If my religious practices work, then I must be doing something right.
3) There doesn't seem to be any reason to disbelieve anything that has had an impact on me spiritually. Even if the beliefs of another religion turn out to be the truth, the chances of it making much difference to the spiritual practices I employ on a day-to-day basis are small.

You've presented a very good case for not believing in a personal monotheistic deity that I don't feel I need to add too.

You have given good reasons for why you believe but not given what you believe. Why may be more important that what, but still, without a what why wouldn't matter.

Seems your beef isn't so much with religion as it is with literalistic interpretations of mythology.

Maybe I was too literal, but still explain what you believe.

"That which is hateful to you, do not do to your fellow. That is the whole Torah; the rest is the explanation; go and learn."
-Talmud, Shabbat 31a, the "Great Principle" (quote and source obtained from Wikipedia)

"All things therefore whatever you would that men should do to you, even so do you to them; for this is the law and the prophets." (Matt. 7:12, from Codex Sinaiticus - See The Manuscript | Matthew |)

That's religion in a nutshell: the Golden Rule. It is the most basic and important code for any Spiritual Aspirant.

What is exactly do you believe riverfox, try to explain and communicate what your faith is in your own words, don't rely on the words and cliches of others to represent you or your opinions or else you are going to run into problems.

It is my understanding that beliefs are not real, except as a conceptual mental constructs, and therefore don't believe them to represent the real.

What is real on the other hand is immutable and is independent of belief and/or non-belief.

Why this is my belief is why non-belief is my belief. :)

I agree. Ben d. :)

nonbeliever_92

I believe what I believe because of personal life experience.
Evolution also fits very nicely into my spiritual walk.

As backward as Hellenic religion seems to you the Greeks have provided us with much of our modern day views of the world.
The Ancient Greeks developed a democratic nation.
The Ancient Greeks gave us theater.
Aristotle gave us logic.
I believe the roots of modern science stem from the ancient Greeks also.
Greeks gave us the basis of modern medicine.

Here is where I got that information from Greek or Roman contributions to the world today? - Yahoo! Answers

And last but not least there are those who still worship the Greek Gods.

DailyFrappe

Ellinais - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Yes, I agree. And I have no problem with your reasons for believing in something for personal reasons, but still you have not given what you believe.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
To be honest I think that this is a cop-out. If you aren't going to assert your belief, what is the point of saying why you believe them?
I highly doubt it's a cop-out, as I find myself in the same boat.

In another thread, I invited you to check out my sig for an explanation on my beliefs, which, to my knowledge, you haven't done. Makes me wonder whether you're really interested, but oh well. :run:

The elevator speech, then.

In a nutshell, I believe in the roth, which someone cleverer than I dubbed "the living Godiverse. That God is a sapient organism whose body is the cosmos. Possibly the most unique feature of my theology is the concept that this entity is a juvenile, and reality as we know it is the Becoming, the process of God's maturation. The engine of the Becoming is evolution balanced by entropy, both cosmic forces in my worldview ( iow, evolution is not limited to the development of biological life). Why? Because it's where my attempt to understand an intense and transformative theophany I had as a child.

What I don't believe: theism as a whole, primarily due to the supernatural element. I believe the laws of nature are inviolate. I DO, however, believe that most phenomena commonly considered supernatural are possible, such as ghosts, psychic ability, etc.. They simply operate according to natural laws not currently understood.

Now, to address your beliefs.

I, myself, believe in no god(s) and I do not have any religion.
OK.

I do believe in the big bang theory and I do believe that the theory of evolution is true.
Glad to hear it, me too.
This is a self-satisfying story for atheists to tell themselves, but it completely ignores, if not outright contradicts, much of the research and hypotheses on the evolution of religion, particularly the spandrel hypothesis and the reality of trance states (mystical experiences).

I do not accept it as absurd, in fact. Flawed, necessarily so, as all theologies are (yes, my own included), but not absurd.

2.) I don’t rely on religion because of its fallacies against accepted and, most plausible, scientific facts.
Such oppostition is not necessitated by any religion, however widely embraced. YEC, for instance, is about as respectable theologcially as it is scientifically. Many believers embrace science - you never heard of theistic evolution?

3.) I don’t have belief in god(s) because religion inhibits and slows intellectual progress.
This is sheer bigotry, and unworthy of further comment.

P.S. In the futurre, I would much appreciate it if you were to refrain from using that eye-twistingly tiny font. :)

katiafish

consciousness incarnate
I believe anything that feels "true" to me and fits my moral understanding of right and wrong, and why not?

But mostly I believe in progress and development of the mind and spirit and acquirement of new knowledge in order to have more reasons to believe in anything I want to believe.

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
What is exactly do you believe riverfox, try to explain and communicate what your faith is in your own words, don't rely on the words and cliches of others to represent you or your opinions or else you are going to run into problems.

Riverfox is a Muslim. I'm RiverWOLF. :D

Anyway, why not? They do accurately describe my beliefs.

The Golden Rule is the basis for all religion. (Those are my own words.)

There is Gaia, who is both Father Sky and Mother Earth. Born from the Body of the Star that Was Before, and given Seed now from Solis. Gaia's sister is Luna, who prefers the shadow, but has a soft glow of her own.

Gaia has given birth to many creatures, as well as the devas. (Whom men often call gods.) They are the natural Forces, which influence the growth, maintanance, and destruction of life.

How's that? :D

Hmmm...interesting, so you believe that god is greater than the universe and that the universe is within in him/her/it? May I ask why do you believe this?

I am also Discordian so todays beliefs may well be tomorrow's breakfast.

to answer your why question . . .

Eastern Mysticism, quantum physics.

According to both, there is more than meets the eye.

"The conclusion of both modern physics an depth psychology is that things are not what they seem. What we experience as normal reality - about ourselves and nature - is only the tip of an iceberg that arises out of an unfathomable abyss."

-King, Warrior, Magician, Lover

Many other spiritual paths believe that we are all connected part of a bigger whole.
By Robert Moore & Douglas Gillette

DadBurnett

Instigator
i belive that god was the force behind the big bang and that science took over from there.
I believe that there was a 'tome" when ebverything made sense, was known to the Knower .... than ... came the big bang!
Belief and reality are not interconnected. Belief cannot reveal truth and perceptions of reality cannot confirm beliefs.

GiantHouseKey

I don't consider theism and religious belief synonymous, but i do believe that theism is part of religious belief.
Sure, but not a part of my religious beliefs :)

Right, let's say we don't have all the time in the world, I shall now attempt to crudely misinterpret my own belief system into a few short paragraphs for the sake of your direct questioning, when a full book would less than suffice. Nevertheless:

Firstly, my religious belief is non-theistic. Personally I am an atheist, but I would imagine that theism could accompany Aeya... Would probably take some work though...

Anyway, my religion is more of a path... A tool if you like, rather than a set of rules and truths. I believe that Aeya (Pronounced like the german for eggs) is a concept to connect our physical selves to our spiritual selves. If you wish, it is like an interpersonal force that engulfs the universe, although you must realise it doesn't exist in reality as a physical entity. There's a little more too it than that, but Aeya is a tool to connect ourselves with our spiritual counterparts.

Essentially, Aeya helps us to reach a level I call 'Ourd', which is basically where we are able to connect to our spirituality. Even without Aeya this can be acheived, and as far as i'm aware it is possible with any religious path as long as the walker is fully capable of understanding the nature of the connection.

Nothing about afterlife, nothing about existentialism, nothing about killing witches or homosexuals, nothing about creation. Nothing about objective existence at all actually...
...At least not when we're talking about JUST Aeya.

I hope that helped in some way... :)

GhK.

I am an agnostic because no human being has all the answers. Unfortunately most of us try filling the gaps of our knowledge with superstitous nonsense. An honest person would simply say they don't know why something is the way it is instead of spouting mythology as fact. Bottom line: most humans are intellectually lazy/dishonest and/or gullible.

nonbeliever_92

I am an agnostic because no human being has all the answers. Unfortunately most of us try filling the gaps of our knowledge with superstitous nonsense. An honest person would simply say they don't know why something is the way it is instead of spouting mythology as fact. Bottom line: most humans are intellectually lazy/dishonest and/or gullible.

i agree.

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
Oh, so I can't post in here? :p (I don't um... know what I believe. And if I post what I think, it'll probably be different tomorrow :D)

I agree with Riverwolf. Seems like most of your beef is about literalistic opinions of scriptural ideas, and when one does not use their common sense or, well, think about things - sadly, this can extend to atheists. My sister is an atheist but has never wondered about God and stuff, because "it's borin'". Doh. :(