• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What are "Religious People?"

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
On occasion there have been folks on RF referencing some group called "religious people" in their posts. Often it is in the context of making a generalizing statement, but I can't wrap my head around what is being generalized about. I don't know what that is... this "religious people" that is talked about. What are you folks talking about when you use that phrase? What makes someone "religious people" instead of just "people?" How are those different, if they are different? Am I part of the "religious people" you speak of? Are you part of the "religious people" you speak of? Why or why not?

leibowde84

Veteran Member
On occasion there have been folks on RF referencing some group called "religious people" in their posts. Often it is in the context of making a generalizing statement, but I can't wrap my head around what is being generalized about. I don't know what that is... this "religious people" that is talked about. What are you folks talking about when you use that phrase? What makes someone "religious people" instead of just "people?" How are those different, if they are different? Am I part of the "religious people" you speak of? Are you part of the "religious people" you speak of? Why or why not?
Someone who adheres to a specific organized religion and its rules/requirements. Otoh, there are plenty of people who have faith, but are not religious in that they don't adhere to any specific organized religion, sect, denomination, etc.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Pretty good questions. I think we have some separate thread mentioning "spiritual" people as well, but it is probably best to cross the bridges one at a time.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
Broadly, anyone who is a member or follower of a religion. More specifically, people who make their religion an integral and active part of their life and interactions.

RedDragon94

Love everyone, meditate often
Anybody with a religious preference. I consider myself a religious person even though I may not understand everything about it.

roger1440

I do stuff
Saying one is "religious" doesn't say much. Here are a few examples of "religious" people.

DALAI.jpg

120523120531-osama-bin-laden-super-169.jpg

Pope_Francis_Korea_Haemi_Castle_19_(cropped).jpg

Skwim

Veteran Member
When I see or hear the phrase "religious people/person" I think of those who are really into their religion---there are so many ways this can be expressed I don't want to even start to go into them.

Last edited:

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

In my opinion, it's a roundabout bias term of saying "those people" who do X,Y,Z that the person who says it disagrees with.

Technically, it's a generalization commonly associated with religion-dogmatic rather than religion-spiritual lifestyle. So "religious people" are people who live dogmatic religions to which whoever says it have ill feelings over.

It's a derogatory phrase in most context I have seen. Whether it's generalizing all religious people, I dont think so. It is too broad and religion has so many definitions that I rarely see it used in a context other than labels.

cambridge79

people who live their lives accordingly to religious principles if they're honest or pretend to do such a thing if they're hipocrats?

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Someone who adheres to a specific organized religion and its rules/requirements. Otoh, there are plenty of people who have faith, but are not religious in that they don't adhere to any specific organized religion, sect, denomination, etc.

To you, then, I am not a "religious person" because my religion does not meet these criteria?

A
wk-ward! :sweat:

Pretty good questions. I think we have some separate thread mentioning "spiritual" people as well, but it is probably best to cross the bridges one at a time.

I have even less of an idea of what "spiritual person" means. I don't even know what "spiritual" means. I at least have a fairly good sense of what "religious" means.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Anybody with a religious preference. I consider myself a religious person even though I may not understand everything about it.

Would it be accurate to say you would consider the contrast to be between "religious people" and then "irreligious people?" The "irreligious people" have no preference, then, or just don't make religion (as they understand that term) an important facet of their lives?

When I see or hear the phrase "religious people/person" I think of those who are really into their religion---there are so many ways this can be expressed I don't want to even start to go into them.

I tend to think of the word "religious" as simply meaning strong dedication or devotion to something, whether it is actually a religion or not. Is that kind of how you think about the word too, or am I off base there?

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
In my opinion, it's a roundabout bias term of saying "those people" who do X,Y,Z that the person who says it disagrees with.

Technically, it's a generalization commonly associated with religion-dogmatic rather than religion-spiritual lifestyle. So "religious people" are people who live dogmatic religions to which whoever says it have ill feelings over.

It's a derogatory phrase in most context I have seen. Whether it's generalizing all religious people, I dont think so. It is too broad and religion has so many definitions that I rarely see it used in a context other than labels.

I have noticed the term sometimes being used as a "those people" sort of term - a way of setting up a "me versus them" mentality - as well. Not all the time, but often I see that phrase being used by those who want to overgeneralize about religion and the people who have a religion. Many such comments are quite confusing or nonsensical to me. There will be a suggestion of "religious people do such and such," and as someone who considers themselves religious, I go "but wait a second... I don't do that... so am I in this 'religious people' category or not?" :D

It was a joke lol.

I liked it, and giggled. :D

psychoslice

Veteran Member
True religion is found within each one of us, not in a man made church and a man made religion, so therefore we are all religious, the only difference is that only very few ever realize it.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
True religion is found within each one of us, not is a man made church and a man made religion, so therefore we are all religious, the only difference is that only very few ever realize it.

Are you saying all people are "religious people" and that the qualifier "religious" is redundant?

A Vestigial Mote

In market research, such an attempt at quantifying what it was someone meant when using the term "religious people" would be met with the statement "whatever it means to you" - and attempt to prevent biasing that person's answers due to over-analyzing the term for them. I think that this idea is actually applicable a lot of times when people (on this site in particular) try to get someone to further describe "EXACTLY!!1!1!!1!OMG11!!!1!" what it is they are referring to when they write "God", "atheism" or in this case "religious people." Our mind develops pre-conceived notions for a reason. It's for faster recall of otherwise abstract ideas and thoughts. And the more each of us comes in contact with things relating to those ideas and notions, the less deviation there probably is from one person's understanding of that thing to the next. That's not to say that the deviation is "small" between any two people necessarily - just that invoking the term "religious" probably brings forward most of the same concepts and ideas for a variety of people, and further description isn't always necessary.