• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What are "Religious People?"

Skwim

Veteran Member
I tend to think of the word "religious" as simply meaning strong dedication or devotion to something, whether it is actually a religion or not. Is that kind of how you think about the word too, or am I off base there?
I only think of that meaning when I hear the word "religiously."

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
On occasion there have been folks on RF referencing some group called "religious people" in their posts. Often it is in the context of making a generalizing statement, but I can't wrap my head around what is being generalized about. I don't know what that is... this "religious people" that is talked about. What are you folks talking about when you use that phrase? What makes someone "religious people" instead of just "people?" How are those different, if they are different? Am I part of the "religious people" you speak of? Are you part of the "religious people" you speak of? Why or why not?
This is an excellent question. I have been having a problem with term 'religious' on RF recently too. It seems few of us spiritual types on RF identify with a traditional denomination so are we 'religious people'? Other times the use of the term seems to imply that the opposite is non-religious which gets conflated with atheism/agnosticism too which is not accurate either. I'm sure this thread will settle it once and for all!:)

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
This is an excellent question. I have been having a problem with term 'religious' on RF recently too. It seems few of us spiritual types on RF identify with a traditional denomination so are we 'religious people'? Other times the use of the term seems to imply that the opposite is non-religious which gets conflated with atheism/agnosticism too which is not accurate either. I'm sure this thread will settle it once and for all!:)

If I had a dollar for every post on here that conflated theism and religion (or atheism with irreligion)... it would probably pay off my mortgage.

George-ananda

Premium Member
If I had a dollar for every post on here that conflated theism and religion (or atheism with irreligion)... it would probably pay off my mortgage.
And if they would kindly stop doing that I could get back to my lower dosage blood pressure medication (and save money too).:mad:

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Many such comments are quite confusing or nonsensical to me. There will be a suggestion of "religious people do such and such," and as someone who considers themselves religious, I go "but wait a second... I don't do that... so am I in this 'religious people' category or not?"

Ha. ha. According to this perspective, I'd say its an over generalization. Puting all people who display some "religious act and belief" in one box or two. If one is more specific, then it would cure all ills,

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
What are "Religious People?"

People who refuse reality in favor of mythology IMHO

By this, I'm not sure if I'm "religious people" to you or not. I suppose it depends on what you believe "reality" is, and what you think it means to "reject" that "in favor" of whatever this thing is you're calling "mythology." Yeah. I've got no idea. :shrug:

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Ha. ha. According to this perspective, I'd say its an over generalization. Puting all people who display some "religious act and belief" in one box or two. If one is more specific, then it would cure all ills,

That's kind of why in the OP I contrast "religious people" with just "people." I mean, if "religious people" is such a broad designator, what then distinguishes it from just "people?"

outhouse

Atheistically
y this, I'm not sure if I'm "religious people" to you or not.

I think you are.

I suppose it depends on what you believe "reality" is, and what you think it means to "reject" that "in favor" of whatever this thing is you're calling "mythology." Yeah. I've got no idea.

I believe you follow semi modern mythology if I recall right

You do if I'm not mistaken believe in things that cannot be proven by any reasonable measure?

George-ananda

Premium Member
When I see or hear the phrase "religious people/person" I think of those who are really into their religion---there are so many ways this can be expressed I don't want to even start to go into them.
What do you call people deeply into spiritual things but don't follow a religion?

Covellite

On occasion there have been folks on RF referencing some group called "religious people" in their posts. Often it is in the context of making a generalizing statement, but I can't wrap my head around what is being generalized about. I don't know what that is... this "religious people" that is talked about. What are you folks talking about when you use that phrase? What makes someone "religious people" instead of just "people?" How are those different, if they are different? Am I part of the "religious people" you speak of? Are you part of the "religious people" you speak of? Why or why not?
Religion is a set of beliefs linked to supernatural subjects. Religion must have moral codes and rituals at least. People who accept certain religious moral codes and practice determined rituals are "religious people".

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
I think you are.

If such be your assessment, that's fair. I certainly wouldn't describe myself as a "religious person" by the definition you used, however.

I believe you follow semi modern mythology if I recall right

I don't know. I don't know what you believe to be mythology compared to not-mythology. Though in the sense that all people have their mythologies they follow - the stories they tell themselves - I can't be an exception to the universal human impetus to be the storyteller, I suppose. This would then make all people "religious people," though, given all people spin a narrative of how "reality" works that is a map of territory. Hmm. Meh?

You do if I'm not mistaken believe in things that cannot be proven by any reasonable measure?

Not at all. All people have standards of "proof" that they consider to be "reasonable measures," and I'm certainly no exception to that. What I reject is the notion that some person's standard of "proof" or "reasonable measure" is universally and indisputably better or superior for all purposes and circumstances, or that some particular vision of things is The One True Way®. It appears I'm incapable of being a black-and-white, fundamentalist-style thinker. Oh well.

RedDragon94

Love everyone, meditate often
Would it be accurate to say you would consider the contrast to be between "religious people" and then "irreligious people?" The "irreligious people" have no preference, then, or just don't make religion (as they understand that term) an important facet of their lives?
It's not that irreligious people don't have a preference as much as they prefer no religion. A lot of people are religious to a certain extent in my mind (although this could change, atheism is on the rise) and there are many degrees of dedication.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Religion is a set of beliefs linked to supernatural subjects. Religion must have moral codes and rituals at least. People who accept certain religious moral codes and practice determined rituals are "religious people".

Oh no! Another case where I might fail to be a "religious person!" Supernatural? What's that? :eek: :D

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
That's kind of why in the OP I contrast "religious people" with just "people." I mean, if "religious people" is such a broad designator, what then distinguishes it from just "people?"

OOh. Sounds like a useless phrase "religious peopls" if comparing it to just "people."

Those religious people always go to church when church is inside of you
Those people always go to church when church is inside of you

If you mean used like this, religious would be an adjective for people. Religiou could mean anything; but, the point is that adjective distinguishes "people" from not just being any type of person but "these" type people.

Since religious has so many definitions, I'd say you can say the exact same thing but instead of saying religious people, you can say people who practice X, Y, or Z in this or that way. (Short cut?)

Covellite

What do you call people deeply into spiritual things but don't follow a religion?
Spirituality is a process of personal transformations based on spiritual experiences - personal and meaningful transcendent experiences, that can, but must not be related to any religion or belief system.

Iti oj

Global warming is real and we need to act
Premium Member
Quint you and I both find many of the same things sacred but I have never been able to determine if we mean the same thing by this. Let's use the sun as example. What is the sun to you?