• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What Are You Like In Person?

Lightkeeper

Are you different in person than you are here on the forum? I am a deep thinker, but when with responsive people I am a kidder and joker. I have many laughs. No one knows what I am going to do or say next. I don't think a person's real and full personality comes across on a forum. What do you think?

Runt

I say a lot less in person and listen a lot more. This is probably because I am far better at expressing myself through writing than I am through the spoken word, but also partially because the things I like to talk about often simply do not come up in general conversation. However, when I am around close friends or people who are intelligent enough to have a real conversation with, you can't get me to shut up! :p

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
I'm boring. My forum-personality and my RL personality are the same. I'm a bit more ready to express affection here, though. Maybe it's just because I like everyone here!

Ceridwen018

Feathers, maybe if you were boring, then you would be, but you're not. :)

I have to agree with Runt--I think I'm quieter in person. Then again, I like to joke around a lot with my friends, and like Runt, if someone were to get me started on something they'd have a hard time shutting me up.

standing_on_one_foot

Hmm...well, I figure I come across as a bit weird, being transgendered and all, but beyond that, I'm pretty much like I am on the forum...although I think I'm a bit weird on the forum as well :p Quieter, maybe, in RL. Actually, the rest of you pretty much described what I'm like in your posts...well, all that and a bizarre sense of humor :p

The Voice of Reason

Doctor of Thinkology
I'm a classic Type A personality. I love people with a good sense of humor, especially if it is self deprecating.

True story - I graduated from High School with a guy that was an All-American swimmer in college (he missed going to the Olympics with Mark Spitz by .002 seconds). When we got to college, they ran a bunch of tests on us - everything from IQ to Personality Type - probably 15 tests in all. My buddy was as laid back as anyone you've ever met - I mean REALLY laid back.
After the Personality Type test, they explained the scale to us - they said, "anything over a score of 80 is a Type A personality, and anything below that is a Type B". My buddy asked me what my score was, and I told him I got a 95 - he laughed.
I asked him what his score was and he told me "I got a 14". I thought I was gonna rupture my spleen laughing so hard.

TVOR

Lightkeeper

I just realized things we don't hear here that we hear in real life. Do you miss people starting a conversation with "I mean"? I don't miss the "ya knows".You know what I mean?

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
You know, that's an interesting point, Lightkeeper. I mean, I hadn't thought of that. It's, like, almost everyone here uses better English than, like, they do in real life. I'm soooo in agreement with you!

standing_on_one_foot

Better English? Hah! We just use a different dialect here...written, as opposed to spoken. Although I tend to mix the two together, methinks. Ya know whudai mean? :p

Something about me that never come out on this forum:

I'm good at imitating people. Sophomore year in English class, our teacher was a few minutes late and we all sat there in silence, watching the door for him. It was during this silence that I did an impression of our English teacher that made several of the girls jump out of their seats :D. My best friend's mom is Belgian, very strict, and has an accent...the first time I did an impression of her, my friend thought his mom had come to pick him up. Whenever I did an impression of one of our teachers in high school, my friends would start making requests. "Okay, now do Mr. Ludway!" "No, do Mrs. Smith!". (They aren't mean-spirited impersonations, though ;)) My room mate often asks me to do my Blink182 impression, and the guys in my hall ask me to do my impression of our Resident Advisor. It's hard for me to do an impression when it's requested though...sort of has to be spur of the moment, you know?

My personal favorites: Golem, Louis Armstrong, and Blink182 singing the Star-Spangled Banner. :jiggy:

Other than that, I think my personality comes across pretty well on this forum. My vocabulary is less formal when I'm with friends in real life...but other than that, what you see here is pretty much what you get. This is a superb description of my personality: http://www.personalitypage.com/INTP.html

The Voice of Reason

Doctor of Thinkology
I find this curious - I speak in person the same way I type the written word. I don't know how many times I've been told by people that read my writing (business, personal, etc.) that they are surprised by that.

I'm always amazed by the way people from Australia and England use the English language. I love the fact that they haven't bastardized it like we have.

TVOR

Lightkeeper

The Voice of Reason said:
I find this curious - I speak in person the same way I type the written word. I don't know how many times I've been told by people that read my writing (business, personal, etc.) that they are surprised by that.

I'm always amazed by the way people from Australia and England use the English language. I love the fact that they haven't bastardized it like we have.

TVOR
you're right myte, so let's put a shrimp on the barbie and we'll have a bloody good time with our billabong.:)

Watcher

The Gunslinger
I think on forums I tend to let the real me come through more then in person. I find it so hard to find someone intelligent to carry on a conversation with. Their are few people that I can sit down with and have an intellectual conversation with. On forums though, all you are is a display name with an avatar. They can't see how old you are, or what you look like, all you can do is speculate. Talking in forums does remind me of the people I meet when I go scuba diving. They don't see you as a teenager, they see you as another diver, an equal. In person though, my sense of humor is either sarcastic, quick wit, or intellectual funny.

The Voice of Reason

Doctor of Thinkology
Oh yea - after reading Watcher's post, I have to add one thing about myself - in person, I have an absolutely scathing sense of sarcasm that I do not control when in the company of .... well, you know.

TVOR

SoulTYPE

Basically I am the same person as I am in my posts. They not only express my opinions or beliefs, but it is easy to judge by my posts what I am like.