• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What book(s) are you reading now?

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
Just finished The Road - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

I didn't like the writing style at first but once I got into step with it the book took off. Read almost all of it in one sitting.

It's all about a world completely devoid of any hope, and people desperately struggling to make it from one moment to the next anyway. The author achieves a remarkable, intense level of unavoidable empathy for the characters: this book "hurts". :p

I would recommend reading it just for the way it makes the real world look when you're finished. That and it's just a really good read.

Soon as I was done I immediately had to grab a Terry Pratchett novel just to jumpstart my endporphines again. :p

Currently reading Night Watch: http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/47989.Night_Watch.

As always, Terry Pratchett rocks.

Last edited:

Draka

Wonder Woman
Total Eclipse - Rachel Caine

Just finishing up the Weather Warden series of books (Total Eclipse is the ninth and final book). Have a bunch of other books to get to on my Kindle, a regular frickin library just sitting there waiting to be read, but I think I'm going to start the Southern Vampire novels next. There's 13 books in that series, so may take a while before I get to the other waiting books. :p I have a thing for series.

Titanic

fall of giants by ken follet, also complete ficton of charles dickens and just finished Frost Burned. Briefly read over the Fifty shades of grey book, could not get into it.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
The Price of Politics - Bob Woodward
The Price of Politics: Amazon.ca

A very interesting, albeit tedious read. Well worth the effort though, imho.
It certainly give a different view than we are used to seeing in the media.

“A highly detailed dissection of the debt-limit negotiations. … A remarkable achievement. …Woodward, being Woodward, digs deeper and draws more out of the protagonists than anyone else has.” —Jeff Shesol, The Washington Post

"Groundbreaking" —David Gregory, NBC's Meet the Press
"Takes us inside the room once again." —Charlie Rose

"Fabulous book and great reporting." —Norah O'Donnell, CBS This Morning

“Bob Woodward, in characteristic fashion, does his competitors one better by filling in blanks and providing even finer detail.” —Miranda Green, The Daily Beast

"A book everyone is talking about." —Diane Sawyer, ABC

"A very revealing, insightful book." —Sean Hannity, Fox News, "Hannity"

"Required Reading" —Elizabeth Titus, Politico

methylatedghosts

Can't brain. Has dumb.
The Fry Chronicles, by, of course, Stephen Fry.

Stephen Fry is somewhat of an idol to me. He has such an amazing command of the English language, he's smart, he's funny, and direct. He's my number 1 celebrity crush, so when I saw his autobiography going for cheap at a second hand book store today, I couldn't resist. Up to page 49 and already I've snorted into my beer and choked on a cigarette. I can only imagine that spending time with him in person would be equally as...messy...

apophenia

A Piece of My Heart - Richard Ford

This is the second time I've read this. It impressed me so much 25 years ago, he immediately became one of my all-time favorite writers.

Superb writing about the subtleties of mundane lives. Poetic and realistic. Every paragraph is crafted, but the style is relaxed and easy. If you haven't read Richard Ford, you're missing something special.