• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What book(s) are you reading now?

9Westy9

Sceptic, Libertarian, Egalitarian
Premium Member
I finished Fabrice Muamba's autobiography a few days ago that was quite good. Now I'm reading "Thinking fast and thinking slow"

Wu Wei

ursus senum severiorum and ex-Bisy Backson
Baguazhang: Theory and Applications by Yang Jwing-Ming and Liang Shou-Yu

SageTree

Spiritual Friend
Premium Member
516q-zevYkL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU15_.jpg

The place "where God happens," according to Rowan Williams's striking new reading of the Desert Fathers and Mothers, is between each other. It's a truth that we of the twenty-first century most urgently need to learn in order to heal the experience of alienation that has become endemic to our age, and these odd and appealing ancient figures, surprisingly, hold keys to this healing.

The fourth-century Christian hermits of Egypt, Syria, and Palestine understood the truth of Christian community profoundly, and their lives demonstrate it vividly—even though they often lived in solitude and isolation. The author breaks through our preconceived ideas of the Desert Fathers to reveal them in a new light: as true and worthy role models—even for us in our modern lives—who have much to teach us about dealing with the anxieties, uncertainties, and sense of isolation that have become hallmarks of modern life. They especially embody valuable insights about community, about how to live together in an intimate and meaningful way. Williams makes these radical figures, who clearly have a special place in his heart, come to life in a new way for everyone.

The book includes an appendix of selections from the teachings of the Desert Fathers.

Infinitum

Possessed Bookworm
I finished Jerusalem - a biography (which I recommend for light academic reading, by the way) and now I'm half-way the full collection on Aesop's Fables. After that I've got two parts of Grimm's Fairy Tales ahead of me, finished with a taste of Conn Iggulden's Conqueror series featuring a bunch savage of Mongols.

Wu Wei

ursus senum severiorum and ex-Bisy Backson
Classical Baguazhang
Volume 1
Bagua Lianx Fa
by Jiang Rong Qiao
Translated by Joseph Crandall

Satyamavejayanti

Started back on the Rig Veda, HH wilson translation, then will start RigVeda by Swami Dayananda Saraswati.
After that plan to read Yajur Veda by Devi Chand, then Sama Veda by Vidyanath Shastri and Atharva by Sarvadeshik Arya Prithinithi Sabha, and Atharva by Maurice Bloomfield.

As you can see this is a 12 month plan at least.

StarryNightshade

Spiritually confused Jew
Premium Member
One I'm currently reading is Why Christianity Must Change or Die by John Shelby Spong.

It is a wonderful book and is one of the many factors which has helped me be more open to the idea of "god".

Also, one I want to find is I'm Perfect, You're Doomed; which is a womans memoir of being raised as a Jehovahs Witness.