• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What came before the Big Bang?

idav

Being
Premium Member
Again, Thief is putting these words into God's mouth, making things up. The Bible is a mixture of allegory, myth, and bits and pieces from the real teachings of Yeshu. 'I Am' is part of Yeshu's original mystical teaching, but that God spoke and there was light, etc. is part of the allegory.

It is a common mistake to think that the statement "I Am" is referring to the "I" self; the ego; the personal self. It is not. It refers to eternal ego-less essence alone. The use of the word "I" is purely as a matter of convention, but meaning: "this statement is coming through this body-mind, not from it"

When theif uses it its a reference to christ being the word as a personal god. Thats how I understand it from him but he can correct me if I am off on that. I can understand it like tao but not with consciousness.

idav

Being
Premium Member
I agree. Where can one find the source of all awareness, if not within one's own "I am"?

If the aware Being was outside oneself, then dogs would have eaten that long back.

:D

Think of an organism which is alive and aware with no self awareness. It wouldnt have the capacity to remember moment to moment.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
IDK I'm skeptical it is a literal word. I go with the tao to answer your question and the source is called nameless. Once something manifests from the source then it can be named.

...and my God has no name.

We are so close to agreement.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
When theif uses it its a reference to christ being the word as a personal god. Thats how I understand it from him but he can correct me if I am off on that. I can understand it like tao but not with consciousness.

However, this portion I do not agree. ( I don't believe Jesus was there)

The declaration.... I AM!.....IS self awareness.

The creation of light would be the affirmation.

Still.....hearing it from someone else would be even better.
Knowing your self as Creator is one thing....and your creation (echo) is fine and good.

But If you are the First in mind and heart.....you become aware of being alone.

When I was younger the congregation would say Man was created to glorify God.

Not too far from the truth....it seems to me.

idav

Being
Premium Member

Still.....hearing it from someone else would be even better.
Knowing your self as Creator is one thing....and your creation (echo) is fine and good.

But If you are the First in mind and heart.....you become aware of being alone.

When I was younger the congregation would say Man was created to glorify God.

Not too far from the truth....it seems to me.
Christ is something different from jesus, christ is the word. I am right that you feel that statement means god has ego.

godnotgod

Thou art That

The earliest mention of 'I Am' comes from Exodus 3.13-15:

"I Am that I Am"

...being the response from God when Moses asked him his name.

I don't see it in Genesis, used as a proclamation of the creation of light, as you claim.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
If "I am" is recognizable then I tend to disagree that it isn't ego. Pure awareness wouldn't recognize self, it would be beyond it. I am says I am a thing and is duality, a separation that doesn't really exist.

Well....at some 'point'......God.....
would realize there is a difference between Him'self' and everything around Him.

That outstanding difference would be 'response'.

As Creator He would be able to 'touch' His creation.....and it would respond.
BUT His creation would not really...'respond'.

As a life without physical form.....He would be the Spirit.
His creation taking form would be the universe.

For awhile.....He would be alone.

Thief

Rogue Theologian

The earliest mention of 'I Am' comes from Exodus 3.13-15:

"I Am that I Am"

...being the response from God when Moses asked him his name.

I don't see it in Genesis, used as a proclamation of the creation of light, as you claim.

'.....and they that understand will know Whose Word this is.' (in the same locale as your quote)

I understand.

idav

Being
Premium Member
How do you know that?:eek:

I cant know that cause knowing requires consciousness and intelligence. Besides that if I am a single celled organism(which some parts of our body can be seen as), I wouldn't likely know I am aware. The brain produces all those other tricks that awareness is capable of.

idav

Being
Premium Member
But you know that true awareness has little to do with being self aware and conscious?

Yes because of organisms being aware without having ego or conciousness like us humans. The very basic building blocks are beyond ego and consiousness as well which I believe is omnipresent with only the potential for omniscience and a knowledge type of intelligence.

atanu

Premium Member
Yes because of organisms being aware without having ego or conciousness like us humans. The very basic building blocks are beyond ego and consiousness as well which I believe is omnipresent with only the potential for omniscience and a knowledge type of intelligence.

Ok. Your definition of consciousness is different from mine. For me awareness is indication of consciousness.

idav

Being
Premium Member
Ok. Your definition of consciousness is different from mine. For me awareness is indication of consciousness.

Consciousness is a human construct requiring an 'I'. I know things, I remember things, I am awake. It takes remembering and recalling in a continuous stream of awareness to say I am conscious.

idav

Being
Premium Member
I get this when I google consciousness. Notice it is something more than aware.

con·scious·ness
ˈkänCHəsnəs/Submit
noun
the state of being awake and aware of one's surroundings.
"she failed to regain consciousness and died two days later"
the awareness or perception of something by a person.
plural noun: consciousnesses
"her acute consciousness of Mike's presence"
the fact of awareness by the mind of itself and the world.
"consciousness emerges from the operations of the brain"