• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What came before the Big Bang?

godnotgod

Thou art That
'Who' set 'you' free?
Are 'you' going to say.....'I' did?.........or 'you' did?

How about God did it?

No one can set you free simply because you already are free.

We are like birds in a cage with an open door.

The cage is nothing else but mind itself. :angel2:

godnotgod

Thou art That
So to be free you have to be ... out of your mind?

Sounds like you're in your right mind. ;)

"There is a great difference and also a great similarity between madness and enlightenment. The similarity has to be understood first, because without understanding it, it will be difficult to understand the difference.

Both are beyond the mind – madness and enlightenment.

Madness is below the mind.

Enlightenment is above the mind.

But both are out of the mind.

Hence, you have the expression for a madman 'out of his mind.' The same expression can be used for the enlightened person; he is also out of his mind.

Mind functions logically, rationally, intellectually. Neither madness nor enlightenment function intellectually. They are similar: madness has fallen below reason, and enlightenment has gone above reason, but both are irrational*; hence, sometimes in the East a madman is misunderstood as being an enlightened man. These similarities are there."

by OSHO, From 'Personality to Individuality'

*I would take issue with Enlightenment being irrational: it is more non-rational, than irrational.

Alt Thinker

Older than the hills
Sounds like you're in your right mind. ;)

"There is a great difference and also a great similarity between madness and enlightenment. The similarity has to be understood first, because without understanding it, it will be difficult to understand the difference.

Both are beyond the mind – madness and enlightenment.

Madness is below the mind.

Enlightenment is above the mind.

But both are out of the mind.

Hence, you have the expression for a madman 'out of his mind.' The same expression can be used for the enlightened person; he is also out of his mind.

Mind functions logically, rationally, intellectually. Neither madness nor enlightenment function intellectually. They are similar: madness has fallen below reason, and enlightenment has gone above reason, but both are irrational*; hence, sometimes in the East a madman is misunderstood as being an enlightened man. These similarities are there."

by OSHO, From 'Personality to Individuality'

*I would take issue with Enlightenment being irrational: it is more non-rational, than irrational.

Legend has it that when Lao Tzu was told his wife had died, he banged on a pot.

godnotgod

Thou art That
Legend has it that when Lao Tzu was told his wife had died, he banged on a pot.

Thanks for bringing that up, but it struck me as not sounding like Lao Tzu, so I looked it up. It is actually the Tasoist sage Chuang Tzu, or Zhuangzi, to be more accurate. Hope you don't mind a little elaboration on the story, below:

Zhuangzi himself shows indifference toward death and decries the common practice of mourning because the mourner assumes knowledge of the unknown and pretends his dislike of it. In contrast, by his understanding of the nature of things, the sage is no longer affected by external factors and the changes of the world. On this passage the great commentator Kuo Hsiang comments: “When ignorant, he felt sorry. When he understood, he was no longer affected. This teaches man to disperse emotion with reason.”

When Zhuangzi’s wife died, his friend Hui Shih found Zhuangzi sitting on the ground, singing and banging on pots. On asking him how he could be so unfeeling to his wife, he was told by Zhuangzi: “When she had just died, I could not help being affected. Soon, however, I examined the matter from the very beginning. At the very beginning, she was not living, having no form, nor even substance. But somehow or other there was then her substance, then her form, and then her life. Now by a further change, she has died. The whole process is like the sequence of the four seasons, spring, summer, autumn, and winter. While she is thus lying in the great mansion of the universe, for me to go about weeping and wailing would be to proclaim myself ignorant of the natural laws. Therefore I stopped!”

https://philosophynow.org/issues/27/Death_in_Classical_Daoist_Thought

Last edited:

Alt Thinker

Older than the hills
Thanks for bringing that up, but it struck me as not sounding like Lao Tzu, so I looked it up. It is actually the Tasoist sage Chuang Tzu, or Zhuangzi, to be more accurate. Hope you don't mind a little elaboration on the story, below:

Zhuangzi himself shows indifference toward death and decries the common practice of mourning because the mourner assumes knowledge of the unknown and pretends his dislike of it. In contrast, by his understanding of the nature of things, the sage is no longer affected by external factors and the changes of the world. On this passage the great commentator Kuo Hsiang comments: “When ignorant, he felt sorry. When he understood, he was no longer affected. This teaches man to disperse emotion with reason.”

When Zhuangzi’s wife died, his friend Hui Shih found Zhuangzi sitting on the ground, singing and banging on pots. On asking him how he could be so unfeeling to his wife, he was told by Zhuangzi: “When she had just died, I could not help being affected. Soon, however, I examined the matter from the very beginning. At the very beginning, she was not living, having no form, nor even substance. But somehow or other there was then her substance, then her form, and then her life. Now by a further change, she has died. The whole process is like the sequence of the four seasons, spring, summer, autumn, and winter. While she is thus lying in the great mansion of the universe, for me to go about weeping and wailing would be to proclaim myself ignorant of the natural laws. Therefore I stopped!”

https://philosophynow.org/issues/27/Death_in_Classical_Daoist_Thought

Since I read about it 50 years ago, I am surprised I got any of it right. :D

Thief

Rogue Theologian
...making the bottom line for me no entrapped "I" in a cage requiring escape, unlike your situation.

So get out!
:slap:

And 'who' would that 'me'....be?

(and your ongoing denial of self goes on.......and on....on.....on.....)

Do 'you' hear the echo of 'your' routine?

godnotgod

Thou art That
And 'who' would that 'me'....be?

(and your ongoing denial of self goes on.......and on....on.....on.....)

Do 'you' hear the echo of 'your' routine?

You got it. It's just an echo of an echo of an echo of an illusory ego called "I", which you fool yourself into the belief that it is real, and which one day will wing its way to some lollipop heaven in the sky to continue to be stroked, gratified and adored ad nauseum. Echoes are empty, through and through. No contamination with the has-been dust-baggage called "I" that you continue to desperately cling to in......

CHECKMATE!

Clue: You continually tell us that time does not exist. Did it ever occur to you that "I" cannot exist except in time? Connect dots.

Last edited:

Thief

Rogue Theologian
You got it. It's just an echo of an echo of an echo of an illusory ego called "I", which you fool yourself into the belief that it is real, and which one day will wing its way to some lollipop heaven in the sky to continue to be stroked, gratified and adored ad nauseum. Echoes are empty, through and through. No contamination with the has-been dust-baggage called "I" that you continue to desperately cling to in......

CHECKMATE!

Clue: You continually tell us that time does not exist. Did it ever occur to you that "I" cannot exist except in time? Connect dots.

"I" cannot fool 'myself' unless 'I' exist.

('you' are sounding kinda silly having gone this far)

godnotgod

Thou art That
"I" cannot fool 'myself' unless 'I' exist.

How can "I" exist if there is no time?

It is because it DOESN'T exist that the self-created mind fools itself into thinking that it does!

Checkmate!

The ego loves to crow about it's so-called existence, like a (C)ock-On-Dunghill, when, in fact, it is just a peacock's prancing about made up of so much hot air, a has-been wannabe that has never quite arrived. And so, it spins its foolish fantasies about perpetuation in some imaginary cotton candy, hunky-dory afterlife, when it hasn't even begun to understand how to live THIS one! :p

Last edited:

`mud

Just old
Premium Member
What the hell is "I" ?
One exists into the flowing wisp of seconds that constitute the "now" of a bit of space contained in a wisp of the escaping vortex of distance covered that represents the moving through space-time to the very next fraction of tomorrow. In that captured slice of reality rests the moment of a single meaning of one's gnosis known as "I". In that moment, and for the next moment, "I" can be flavored as life's promise of moments to come, but these moments never occur because the whoosh of momentum speeds by into yesterday. We can't really capture that instant of truth known as the "I" in reality know as "ME". We move into another plain of existance that shows, but not offers, the offered availability of another instance of the "I" that we can enjoy, but for a small kiss on the cheek as a token of the truth we want to be.
Ahhhh....the elusiveness of "I", we can never get to the "ME", maybe heaven will stand still for us all,...... maybe !
`
Did "I" say that......what a bunch of crap !!
~
nuff stuff
'mud

Thief

Rogue Theologian
What the hell is "I" ?
One exists into the flowing wisp of seconds that constitute the "now" of a bit of space contained in a wisp of the escaping vortex of distance covered that represents the moving through space-time to the very next fraction of tomorrow. In that captured slice of reality rests the moment of a single meaning of one's gnosis known as "I". In that moment, and for the next moment, "I" can be flavored as life's promise of moments to come, but these moments never occur because the whoosh of momentum speeds by into yesterday. We can't really capture that instant of truth known as the "I" in reality know as "ME". We move into another plain of existance that shows, but not offers, the offered availability of another instance of the "I" that we can enjoy, but for a small kiss on the cheek as a token of the truth we want to be.
Ahhhh....the elusiveness of "I", we can never get to the "ME", maybe heaven will stand still for us all,...... maybe !
`
Did "I" say that......what a bunch of crap !!
~
nuff stuff
'mud

So...it's not about 'you'?

Thief

Rogue Theologian
How can "I" exist if there is no time?

It is because it DOESN'T exist that the self-created mind fools itself into thinking that it does!

Checkmate!

The ego loves to crow about it's so-called existence, like a (C)ock-On-Dunghill, when, in fact, it is just a peacock's prancing about made up of so much hot air, a has-been wannabe that has never quite arrived. And so, it spins its foolish fantasies about perpetuation in some imaginary cotton candy, hunky-dory afterlife, when it hasn't even begun to understand how to live THIS one! :p

Time does not exist.
I do.

`mud

Just old
Premium Member
Nahhhhhh.....I'm just sifting sand on the beach.....
~
heaven can wait til I get there.
~
'mud