• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What came before the Big Bang?

Thief

Rogue Theologian
You have all these opinions, and all are known mythology.

Scientifically life after death does not exist, and has nothing at all to do with what came before the big expansion.

Science won't take you there.
No photo, no fingerprint, no equation, no repeatable experiment.

No proof.

Still haven't come to that 'point' where you realize....believing is a choice.

Science took me to that 'point'....but could not proceed.

What are you waiting for?

outhouse

Atheistically
What are you waiting for?

For you to stop the nonsense in a science thread.

Your position is not only not of science, it is not of reason, nor logic, it is your own ego fighting to make your opinion count while it can.

It doesn't count, no one cares about your sprit first nonsense except you. Because you invented it.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
For you to stop the nonsense in a science thread.

Your position is not only not of science, it is not of reason, nor logic, it is your own ego fighting to make your opinion count while it can.

It doesn't count, no one cares about your sprit first nonsense except you. Because you invented it.

Theology makes good sense to me.

Your disdain is noted.

Leftimies

Dwelling in the Principle
You have all these opinions, and all are known mythology.

Scientifically life after death does not exist, and has nothing at all to do with what came before the big expansion.

I find the whole "life after death does not exist" thing incredibly hilarious.
There is only reality, from which organic life emerges. Some of it disintegrates, while also creating new generations as time goes on.

My death, nor yours, negates life automatically as a whole. After I die, trillions upon trillions of lifeforms continue to blossom. Some of them continue to think. Some of them continue to bear self-aware consciousness.

So now, life after individual death does not seize to exist. Only a node within the collective (that is the life itself) shuts down.

Now I know that all of this seem like an incredible and exceptional event of nit-picking taking place on the forums, but in actuality, it is not. Its important to understand that life indeed prevails beyond death - through reproduction of species. It is the whole idea, that the gene material is preserved, that "genes live on". It is the purpose of life itself, to live on.

We, as individuals, nodes of the collective, die. Life, as the continuum, lives on.
So yes, there indeed is life after death - just not ours.

Or something. I knew that you meant it as in "does our identity carry on", which certainly doesn't. I just found it perplexing that people think of it as whether "life" carries on. Of course it does. Its the whole point.

shawn001

There is only reality, from which organic life emerges. Some of it disintegrates, while also creating new generations as time goes on.

My death, nor yours, negates life automatically as a whole. After I die, trillions upon trillions of lifeforms continue to blossom. Some of them continue to think. Some of them continue to bear self-aware consciousness.

So now, life after individual death does not seize to exist. Only a node within the collective (that is the life itself) shuts down.

Now I know that all of this seem like an incredible and exceptional event of nit-picking taking place on the forums, but in actuality, it is not. Its important to understand that life indeed prevails beyond death - through reproduction of species. It is the whole idea, that the gene material is preserved, that "genes live on". It is the purpose of life itself, to live on.

We, as individuals, nodes of the collective, die. Life, as the continuum, lives on.

Or something. I knew that you meant it as in "does our identity carry on", which certainly doesn't. I just found it perplexing that people think of it as whether "life" carries on. Of course it does. Its the whole point.

First law of thermodynamics

outhouse

Atheistically

Out of context.

The mythology states a persons consciousness will continue. That scientifically doe not happen.

You die your dead.

Enai de a lukal

Yeah... Wouldn't you say you're rather missing the point? Or do you honestly think that debates over the existence of an afterlife or an immaterial soul concern whether other people's lives continue after (your) death? :facepalm:

shawn001

I think but could be wrong, all Leftimies is really saying is when you die you die, because

" I knew that you meant it as in "does our identity carry on", which certainly doesn't."

People die but other life carries on. You can't create or destroy energy.

godnotgod

Thou art That
As in? ...the universe exists....because of God...

No. That is not my meaning. You are thinking I mean cause and effect. What I mean is that one relative value cannot exist without it's counterpart, eg: 'this' cannot exist without the concept of 'that' also existing.

godnotgod

Thou art That
The Human Route
By Zen Master Seung Sahn

Coming empty-handed,
going empty-handed -- that is human.
When you are born, where do you come from?
When you die, where do you go?
Life is like a floating cloud which appears.
Death is like a floating cloud which disappears.
The floating cloud itself originally does not exist.
Life and death, coming and going, are also like that.
But there is one thing which always remains clear.
It is pure and clear, not depending on life and death.
Then what is the one pure and clear thing?

So what does the discussion of life and death have to do with the BB? Everything. Because, like the floating cloud, like the temporal self, the universe also does not originally exist as the universe. All existence is merely a temporal manifestation of the 'one thing which always remains clear.', and that is 'not subject to birth and death'. That which is subject to birth and death is temporal, and therefore, illusory. But your true nature is not subject to birth and death. You are in reality, as Alan Watts tells us, 'the Indestructible Sunyata' itself, but you fail to realize this very fact because you are lost in duality and the world of Identification. That is to say, you think the identity you are now attached to is real; that there exists a self that is born and that dies. That is your maya. When you awaken from this slumber, you will see clearly, via your true nature, the illusory nature of the state of Identification.

'Thou has nor youth nor age, but, as it were,
an after-dinner sleep,
dreaming on both.'

TS Elliot

No matter that I point this out; you will continue to firmly believe this 'material' world to be reality, and your temporal identity to be the real McCoy, until your real awakening. But that is just how good the illusion is. It is said that, should you come face to face with the Devil, do not be afraid of him; just compliment him on the quality of his illusion.:D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mMRrCYPxD0I
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fcPWU59Luoc

Last edited:

Thief

Rogue Theologian
The Human Route
By Zen Master Seung Sahn

Coming empty-handed,
going empty-handed -- that is human.
When you are born, where do you come from?
When you die, where do you go?
Life is like a floating cloud which appears.
Death is like a floating cloud which disappears.
The floating cloud itself originally does not exist.
Life and death, coming and going, are also like that.
But there is one thing which always remains clear.
It is pure and clear, not depending on life and death.
Then what is the one pure and clear thing?

So what does the discussion of life and death have to do with the BB? Everything. Because, like the floating cloud, like the temporal self, the universe also does not originally exist as the universe. All existence is merely a temporal manifestation of the 'one thing which always remains clear.', and that is 'not subject to birth and death'. That which is subject to birth and death is temporal, and therefore, illusory. But your true nature is not subject to birth and death. You are in reality, as Alan Watts tells us, 'the Indestructible Sunyata' itself, but you fail to realize this very fact because you are lost in duality and the world of Identification. That is to say, you think the identity you are now attached to is real; that there exists a self that is born and that dies. That is your maya. When you awaken from this slumber, you will see clearly, via your true nature, the illusory nature of the state of Identification.

'Thou has nor youth nor age, but, as it were,
an after-dinner sleep,
dreaming on both.'

TS Elliot

No matter that I point this out; you will continue to firmly believe this 'material' world to be reality, and your temporal identity to be the real McCoy, until your real awakening. But that is just how good the illusion is. It is said that, should you come face to face with the Devil, do not be afraid of him; just compliment him on the quality of his illusion.:D

So this item you believe in cannot speak the words...'I AM!'.....?
And you would refrain doing so .....as if you could?

If your non-existence is the goal.....why speak at all?
I then anticipate ....no response.

godnotgod

Thou art That
So this item you believe in cannot speak the words...'I AM!'.....?
And you would refrain doing so .....as if you could?

If your non-existence is the goal.....why speak at all?
I then anticipate ....no response.

Neither existence nor non-existence is the goal; non-dual being is. The awakened state of oneness is the I AM itself. It is the universe itself; it is everything,and it is no-thing. 'I AM' is the expression of this pure, awakened state of consciousness. It is 'that one pure and clear thing', Seung refers to. It is The Unborn, and is, therefore, deathless. So when Yeshu tells us that 'Before Abraham was, I Am', he is saying he (his essence) is not a product of history; not subject to birth and death. He is the Alpha and the Omega; he has always been in this eternal Present Moment though the worlds may come and go.

Last edited:

Thief

Rogue Theologian
Neither existence nor non-existence is the goal; non-dual being is. The awakened state of oneness is the I AM itself. It is the universe itself; it is everything,and it is no-thing. 'I AM' is the expression of this pure, awakened state of consciousness. It is 'that one pure and clear thing', Seung refers to. It is The Unborn, and is, therefore, deathless. So when Yeshu tells us that 'Before Abraham was, I Am', he is saying he (his essence) is not a product of history; not subject to birth and death. He is the Alpha and the Omega; he has always been in this eternal Present Moment though the worlds may come and go.

'You' just couldn't help 'yourself'......could 'you'?

Speaking of God as Creator?......good for 'me'.

godnotgod

Thou art That
'You' just couldn't help 'yourself'......could 'you'?

Speaking of God as Creator?......good for 'me'.

As I explained to LOM, my use of "I" is purely out of convention. There is no agent of being called "I", and there is no agent of 'creation' called 'God'. There is not even creation. If you are of the school that holds to a creation out of nothing, then your 'Creator' is a magician, a shape-shifter, and the 'material' world is not so 'material' at all, but more of an illusion. Well, surprise!

Thief

Rogue Theologian
As I explained to LOM, my use of "I" is purely out of convention. There is no agent of being called "I", and there is no agent of 'creation' called 'God'. There is not even creation. If you are of the school that holds to a creation out of nothing, then your 'Creator' is a magician, a shape-shifter, and the 'material' world is not so 'material' at all, but more of an illusion. Well, surprise!

Back to that ...bang your head till it bleeds ...idea.

Nothing is real.....yeah right!

godnotgod

Thou art That
Back to that ...bang your head till it bleeds ...idea.

Nothing is real.....yeah right!

Does that prove that the material world is 'real', or just that it is a totally convincing illusion? You bang your head; there is pain and blood; therefore, the wall is real 'stuff', right? When you dream, there is dream-pain and dream-thirst that are not real. When you awaken onto this sleep-dream level, the same is true. Only when you truly awaken into the 'I Am' do you know for certain that you have been dreaming all along.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
Does that prove that the material world is 'real', or just that it is a totally convincing illusion? You bang your head; there is pain and blood; therefore, the wall is real 'stuff', right? When you dream, there is dream-pain and dream-thirst that are not real. When you awaken onto this sleep-dream level, the same is true. Only when you truly awaken into the 'I Am' do you know for certain that you have been dreaming all along.

Want to play the dream card?
Sure.

As soon as you are dead your dreams are what you have.....
and you get to share them...with everyone else.

You entered this world naked you leave the same way.

So...now do you want to play the 'wake up' card?

godnotgod

Thou art That
Want to play the dream card?
Sure.

As soon as you are dead your dreams are what you have.....
and you get to share them...with everyone else.

You entered this world naked you leave the same way.

So...now do you want to play the 'wake up' card?

Yes, by all means. Please proceed to wake up. Then you can share, not in your personal delusions, but in the One Universal Reality of 'I Am'. And the best part is that you don't need to die first in order to enjoy this new experience. You can have it all, right here, right now. No strings attached. No need to bang your head into the wall to prove anything. The Gifts of the Incarnation were given to man even before you were born. So get with it. Otherwise, you will go to the grave having missed the greatest experience of just being here, now.

We're all still here
no one has gone away
Waiting, acting much too
well and procrastinating.

O I remember it all from before

Why heroes die at sunrise
Why the birds are arrows of the wise
Why each perfumed flower
Why each moment has its hour

It's you
It's all true

Incredible String Band