• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What did Jesus Look Like?

Smoke

Done here.
What are some of the contemporary historical records that reference Jesus? Not a rhetorical question I'm genuinely curious.
There are none, just as there are none for Muhammad, the Buddha, or Boudica. With ancient history, we don't always expect contemporary documentation.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
There are none, just as there are none for Muhammad, the Buddha, or Boudica. With ancient history, we don't always expect contemporary documentation.

Not to nitpic, MB, but we do have at least one fairly reliable source in regards to Boudica;

(from wiki) Tacitus, the most important Roman historian of this period, took a particular interest in Britain as Gnaeus Julius Agricola, his father-in-law and the subject of his first book, served there three times. Agricola was a military tribune under Suetonius Paulinus, which almost certainly gave Tacitus an eyewitness source for Boudica's revolt.

Smoke

Done here.
Jesus would have had olive skin and looked meditaranian and as others have said, he would have had short hair.
I don't think we can assume that Jesus would have had what we would call short hair. He would certainly not have rounded the corners of his head or beard. Other than that, he probably looked like a Mediterranean Jew -- olive skin, dark hair and eyes.

I picture him looking kind of like this guy:

rabbi_eli_mansour.jpg

By the way, that's Rabbi Eli Mansour, a Sephardic rabbi of Syrian descent.

However, if they were making a movie about Jesus, and it was my movie, I'd cast Jason Momoa in the part of Jesus.

jasonmomoa.jpg

Because, let's face it, if Jason Momoa says, "Follow me," you're going to follow him. :D

Smoke

Done here.
Not to nitpic, MB, but we do have at least one fairly reliable source in regards to Boudica;

(from wiki) Tacitus, the most important Roman historian of this period, took a particular interest in Britain as Gnaeus Julius Agricola, his father-in-law and the subject of his first book, served there three times. Agricola was a military tribune under Suetonius Paulinus, which almost certainly gave Tacitus an eyewitness source for Boudica's revolt.
Tacitus is not a contemporary source, however. He wasn't writing history during Boudica's lifetime.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
Tacitus is not a contemporary source, however. He wasn't writing history during Boudica's lifetime.

Yeah but he's supposed to have been getting his info from his father-in-law who was actually there (I've always had a crush on Boudica, think it's the whole angry red-head thing, please don't screw it up for me).

Smoke

Done here.
Yeah but he's supposed to have been getting his info from his father-in-law who was actually there (I've always had a crush on Boudica, think it's the whole angry red-head thing, please don't screw it up for me).
I'm not denying she existed; exactly the opposite. I'm just saying, you can't expect the same kind of documentation for ancient figures that you can for modern figures. It's not as though they had birth certificates and driver's licenses.

Melancholy

異端者
I don't think we can assume that Jesus would have had what we would call short hair. He would certainly not have rounded the corners of his head or beard. Other than that, he probably looked like a Mediterranean Jew -- olive skin, dark hair and eyes.

I picture him looking kind of like this guy:

rabbi_eli_mansour.jpg

By the way, that's Rabbi Eli Mansour, a Sephardic rabbi of Syrian descent.​

However, if they were making a movie about Jesus, and it was my movie, I'd cast Jason Momoa in the part of Jesus.​

jasonmomoa.jpg

Because, let's face it, if Jason Momoa says, "Follow me," you're going to follow him. :D

You Betcha. I would follow him.
:D

crystalonyx

Concerning Tacitus on Jesus:

"
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Cornelius Tacitus (c.55-117 AD) [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Christianity has no part in Tacitus's history of the Caesars. Except for one questionable reference in the Annals he records nothing of a cult marginal even in his own day.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Sometime before 117 AD, the Roman historian apparently wrote: [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"Nero looked around for a scapegoat, and inflicted the most fiendish tortures on a group of persons already hated for their crimes. This was the sect known as Christians. Their founder, one Christus, had been put to death by the procurator, Pontius Pilate in the reign of Tiberius. This checked the abominable superstition for a while, but it broke out again and spread, not merely through Judea, where it originated, but even to Rome itself, the great reservoir and collecting ground for every kind of depravity and filth. Those who confessed to being Christians were at once arrested, but on their testimony a great crowd of people were convicted, not so much on the charge of arson, but of hatred of the entire human race."

(Book 15, chapter 44):
[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Yet Cassius Dio gives a more convincing report of the same "expulsion":[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"As for the Jews, who had again increased so greatly that by reason of their multitude it would have been hard without raising a tumult to bar them from the city, he did not drive them out, but ordered them, while continuing their traditional mode of life, not to hold meetings." – Roman History, 60.6.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]As we have seen, the term 'Christian' was not in use during the reign of Nero and there would not have been 'a great crowd' unless we are speaking of Jews, not Christians. 'Jewish/Christians' – being perceived by Roman authorities (and the populace at large) simply as Jews meant that early Christ-followers also got caught up in general attacks upon the Jews. [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]‘[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Their effects to dissemble their Jewish origins were detected by the decisive test of circumcision; nor were the Roman magistrates at leisure to enquire into the difference of their religious tenets.’ [/FONT]
[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
– Edward Gibbon (Decline and Fall)[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]One consequence of the fire which destroyed much of Rome in 64 AD was a capitation tax levied on the Jews and it was the Jews – throughout the empire – who were required to pay for the city’s rebuilding – a factor which helped to radicalise many Jews in the late 60s AD.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Not for the first time would Christian scribes expropriated the real suffering of a whole people to create an heroic 'origins' fable...[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]No Christian apologist for centuries ever quoted the passage of Tacitus – not in fact, until it had appeared almost word-for-word in the writings of Sulpicius Severus, in the early fifth century, where it is mixed in with other myths. Sulpicius's contemporaries credited him with a skill in the 'antique' hand. He put it to good use and fantasy was his forte: his Life of St. Martin is replete with numerous 'miracles', including raising of the dead and personal appearances by Jesus and Satan.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]His dastardly story of Nero was embellished during the Renaissance into a fantastic fable with Nero 'fiddling while Rome burned'. Nero took advantage of the destruction to build his 'Golden House' though no serious scholar believes anymore that he started the fire (we now know Nero was in his hometown of Antium – Anzio – when the blaze started.) Indeed, Nero opened his palace garden for temporary shelter to those made homeless.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]In short, the passage in Tacitus is a fraud and adds no evidence for a historic Jesus. [/FONT]

Non-Christian Testimony for Jesus? – From the authentic pen of lying Christian scribes !!

dogsgod

I'm sorry to have to admit it, but it appears there was no Jesus, so no longer any need to wonder what he looked like. What we have is a mythology of a risen Christ, and that's about all she wrote.

Scott C.

Just one guy
If you ever wondered, this is what Jesus probably looked like:

This picture got me thinking. Does anyone know why the Savior is portrayed with long hair? Is there evidence that He had long hair?

I would imagine Jesus Christ had the typical facial features of a Jew, whatever that may be. I also believe that His countenance emanated love, virtue, kindness, sympathy, spirituality, godliness, and righteousness. Those featues are often radiated from the persona, regardless of physical features. I believe Jesus exemplified that.

billabong

On the contrary, you go back in time and prove that the miracle worker did. Don't forget the needed photos of walking on water, and changing water to wine.

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

No they dont. Even if photos or videos existed you still wouldnt believe. You have heard the word and have rejected it. No amount of "evidence" would change your mind. Dont be afraid, look for the Lord and he will show you everything your looking for.