• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

what do you feel is wrong with homosexuality?

Status
Not open for further replies.

McBell

Admiral Obvious
How is that a dodge? I did answer your question. It's not going to change. But, alas, that seems to be a debate for a different thread.
The dodge is that you said that the CORE beliefs have not changed.
That is NOT an answer to:
Do you change your beliefs as the Catholic Church changes or do you hold rigid regardless of what your professed denomination does?
Another thread would be worthless for if you refuse to answer it here, you will also refuse to answer it there.
but you are finally correct about something:
"But, alas, that seems to be a debate for a different thread."

rheff78

I'm your huckleberry.
Ok, let me answer this for you then and we will be done with it. If you choose to debate me further in another forum please tell me. The CORE beliefs of the Catholic Church are what makes up it's faith. Those have not changed and will not change.

McBell

Admiral Obvious
Ok, let me answer this for you then and we will be done with it. If you choose to debate me further in another forum please tell me. The CORE beliefs of the Catholic Church are what makes up it's faith. Those have not changed and will not change.
lol.gif

And you still have not answered the question.
rofl.gif

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Science is changing all the time, my beliefs will not.

Does that mean you prefer not to base your beliefs and opinions in reality?

What if science shows there is no connection between being gay and genetics or anything else.

If science ever shows that homosexuality is a choice, then I would be greatly surprised, but I would accept the evidence. Accepting the evidence is the rational thing to do, my friend. And I am by no means opposed to being rational.

Now, even if science demonstrated that homosexuality is a choice, there would be a question of whether we should respect the choices others make about such private matters as their sexual orientation. So far as I'm concerned, we should.

Last point: If you think you can avoid appearing irrational by stating, "Science is changing all the time", you are sadly mistaken. You merely appear to know less about science than you think you do. There are whole areas of science that are firmly established and very unlikely to undergo any major change. Unlike much religious dogma, those areas are reality based. They are not speculative.

McBell

Admiral Obvious
I'm just not giving you the answer you want.
Answer I want?
What answer do you assume I "want"?
The fact is, you have not answered the question.
You merely give a nonsensical (where the question is concerned) response.

Smoke

Done here.
SO I jsut have a quick question, do most of you in here believe that a person is born gay? That there is gay gene or what?
Sexuality is more complicated than that. It's no more likely that there's "a gay gene" than that there is a straight gene. That doesn't mean that sexual orientation isn't largely biologically based.

Smoke

Done here.
Science is changing all the time, my beliefs will not. What if science shows there is no connection between being gay and genetics or anything else.
Exactly. Science is able to assimilate new information and correct its errors. You are stuck with your error-ridden beliefs in defiance of any information at all. Science is a tool for weeding out errors. Your religion is a tool for clinging obstinately to errors.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
I hope I don't sound too stupid here but...

When you talk of homosexuality are you talking about the act of sodomy or just a man's (or woman's) attraction to a man (or woman)? I am not insinuating that it changes anything but I am just interested.

rheff78

I'm your huckleberry.
Exactly. Science is able to assimilate new information and correct its errors. You are stuck with your error-ridden beliefs in defiance of any information at all. Science is a tool for weeding out errors. Your religion is a tool for clinging obstinately to errors.

Attacking my religion now are we? Being kind of hipocritical aren't we? You are upset with me for, not accepting science, but now you are not accepting what I believe. Let me clarify. I do believe science has answers. For god sakes, where would we be without it? But don't come on here and say how wrong and antiquated my beliefs are. After all, 80% of the world's people believe in a higher being.

With that being said I can see nothing is going to come from this, for any of us. I have looked at my previous posts and I have to admit, I got a little carried away. My wife always tells me I get too argumentative with others. Anyway, I guess I will concede to the will of the majority and bow out of this thread (try to hold back your tears). If I offended people I do apologize. I do enjoy a good debate from time to time. But I must go back to educating the minds of the future (scared yet? yes I'm a teacher). Take care and God bless. If you're ever in Houston we'll go out for a drink, on me!! Later.

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
Attacking my religion now are we? Being kind of hipocritical aren't we? You are upset with me for, not accepting science, but now you are not accepting what I believe. Let me clarify. I do believe science has answers. For god sakes, where would we be without it? But don't come on here and say how wrong and antiquated my beliefs are. After all, 80% of the world's people believe in a higher being.

With that being said I can see nothing is going to come from this, for any of us. I have looked at my previous posts and I have to admit, I got a little carried away. My wife always tells me I get too argumentative with others. Anyway, I guess I will concede to the will of the majority and bow out of this thread (try to hold back your tears). If I offended people I do apologize. I do enjoy a good debate from time to time. But I must go back to educating the minds of the future (scared yet? yes I'm a teacher). Take care and God bless. If you're ever in Houston we'll go out for a drink, on me!! Later.

And another one scurries away without even trying to defend his position. I predict this will not prevent him from re-asserting them in another arena where he feels safer.

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
Hey, you're the one who said that your personal religion is incompatible with science, not us. You're a bit hung up on the argument from popularity. Maybe you don't quite grasp that it's a fallacy?

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Sexuality is more complicated than that. It's no more likely that there's "a gay gene" than that there is a straight gene. That doesn't mean that sexual orientation isn't largely biologically based.

Although there is no consensus in the scientific community -- yet -- about the precise basis for homosexuality, I do believe (1) there are very few reputable scientists who disagree that homosexuality is not a conscious choice, and (2) that it lacks a biological basis of some sort.

rheff78

I'm your huckleberry.
I just couldn't stay away. Last thing. Head Lesbian? Does that make you queen or king of the lesbians? You just can't seem to accept an apology can you? Look at my earlier post. I said if I offended I aplogize, but that doesn't seem to be enough for you. Oh well. BTW I don't scurry away, I can no longer carry on conversations with people that don't recognize anything but themselves. Have a nice life Head Lesbian. Tell your husband or wife (I'm not quite sure how it works in your relationship) I said hi. I actually enjoyed debating with the rest of you.

Smoke

Done here.
Attacking my religion now are we?
If you can compare your religion to science, why can't I? You brought it up.

But don't come on here and say how wrong and antiquated my beliefs are.
Your beliefs about homosexuality are wrong and antiquated. You attribute those wrong and antiquated beliefs to your religion. I'm just taking you at your word.

After all, 80% of the world's people believe in a higher being.
80% of the world's population lives in substandard housing, too. So?

Status
Not open for further replies.