• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What do you think of Islam personally?

What do you think of Islam? (Select all that apply)

• Total voters

Rainbow Mage

Lib Democrat/Agnostic/Epicurean-ish/Buddhist-ish
Personally, I think it's a religion with both extremists and moderates, and the moderates deserve respect, however, at this point in time it's also a religion with a lot of extremists, and those extremists kill people around the world EVERY SINGLE DAY.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Personally, I think it's a religion with both extremists and moderates, and the moderates deserve respect, however, at this point in time it's also a religion with a lot of extremists, and those extremists kill people around the world EVERY SINGLE DAY.
Funny... the same can be said of Christianity, Buddhism and Hinduism... and probably others if I sat down to think about it for a bit.

Rainbow Mage

Yes it probably could 9-10. I don't deny it. I'm proud to say that Kemetic Orthodox have killed 0 people to date.

*Anne*

Bliss Ninny
So far most of what I have read, I like. Obviously I'm very much against the verse that singles out homosexuality or the Hadith that calls for such a severe punishment (That was NOT in my first book!).

I'm still just reading the basics though.

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
Its a religion and a social/cultural phenomena like others around the world. it is involved in many issues, from politics to society. and many people today understand they need to educate themselves on these matters in order to have at least a minimal understanding of a bigger picture.

RiverSeed

Plodding Along
The extreme views that some muslims have towards others are not always precipitated by religious divides. Differences do not always matter very much. In the middle east, some muslims see the western world as imperialist occupiers.

It is only natural that ethnic, political, and economical divides between the west and the middle east for so long have resulted in anger and violence. Often, religion is used to legitimize a violent struggle against what might be percieved in some muslim eyes as "western devils".

But destroying Islam--something so drastic and tragic...:(

Rainbow Mage

I don't think Islam should be destroyed. You notice I chose: Islam is a religion of peace in the poll. I think that's originally what it was and is.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Yes it probably could 9-10. I don't deny it. I'm proud to say that Kemetic Orthodox have killed 0 people to date.
Ha! And how many dozen members does Kemetic Orthodoxy have to share in this laudable claim?

Seeing how your religion is young enough that it's pre-dated by the New Kids on the Block, my advice is to give it time. Newly-created, fringe religious movements don't exactly have a spotless record when it comes to violence.

Rainbow Mage

Actually, Kemetic Orthodoxy has about 1500 adherants and growing every year. We get about 50-100 new converts every year.

Rainbow Mage

Kemetic religion in general is growing. There's also other Kemetic groups besides the House of Netjer. I read somewhere the worldwide number of Kemetics in general might be around 120,000.

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
Ha! And how many dozen members does Kemetic Orthodoxy have to share in this laudable claim?

Seeing how your religion is young enough that it's pre-dated by the New Kids on the Block, my advice is to give it time. Newly-created, fringe religious movements don't exactly have a spotless record when it comes to violence.
People of the ancient Kemetic (Egyptian) religion commited many things that would be seen as barbaric today in the West.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Actually, Kemetic Orthodoxy has about 1500 adherants and growing every year. We get about 50-100 new converts every year.
And the murder rate in the US is about 5.4 per 100,000, which would mean that if Kemetic Orthodoxy aligned with the average, we'd expect their adherents to commit an average of 0.081 murders per year.

Congratulations - your death toll of zero means that within any statistical margin of error, you're no better or worse than any other group, including the Muslims you've got such a hate on for.

Rainbow Mage

I do not hate Muslims 9-10. Notice I didn't select the last option in the poll. I think Islam is supposed to be a religion of peace, and some Muslims are peaceful now, but a whole lot more are not. I'm not willing to ignore a problem when it's staring me in the face.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
It's one of many religions around the world with a range of sects and subdivisions. It's no more irrational than other religions, but, at the present time, due to economic, cultural, and historic influences, it generally has the power to manipulate its members into more extreme acts in the name of the religion.

I do not hate Muslims 9-10. Notice I didn't select the last option in the poll. I think Islam is supposed to be a religion of peace, and some Muslims are peaceful now, but a whole lot more are not. I'm not willing to ignore a problem when it's staring me in the face.

Can you please publish something to corroborate your estimation that most Muslims are not peaceful.

Rainbow Mage

Monta check the website in my signature. Extremist Muslims around the world kill people EVERY DAY

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Monta check the website in my signature. Extremist Muslims around the world kill people EVERY DAY
At what rate? Out of, say, 100,000 Muslims, how many engage in murder on an average day?

Is this rate higher or lower than the rate for other religious groups or for the overall population?

Rainbow Mage

9-10 I doubt you can point out a religion with extremists that have killed that many people just this year alone. Did you go through that whole website. They have killings listed for past years as well.