• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What do you want to know about LDS beliefs?

Quiddity

UndertheInfluenceofGiants
SoyLeche said:
I only assume so because you are so reluctant to give any.
You silly goose, I'm the one that is asking you for one. Your reluctance to do so and you asking me must mean you have some insecurity in your own conclusions.

SoyLeche

meh...
Victor said:
You silly goose, I'm the one that is asking you for one. Your reluctance to do so and you asking me must mean you have some insecurity in your own conclusions.
And I'm telling you that I don't believe that one is needed. Defend your criteria.

dan

Victor said:
Wow, little do you know that I was once LDS and I'm still open to being wrong. Are you open to it? Give me something and let's find out. Instead of you thinking you know me...;)
I gave you something, now respond to it. How do you dismiss the Catholic prophecy?

jazzalta

Dan, you said on this thread the Mormon Doctrine does not change. I'm curious as to how you reconcile that with the plural marriage and anti-black issues. I realize they're revelations, but does God issue a revelation and then change his mind?

dan

jazzalta said:
Dan, you said on this thread the Mormon Doctrine does not change. I'm curious as to how you reconcile that with the plural marriage and anti-black issues. I realize they're revelations, but does God issue a revelation and then change his mind?
The revelations regarding marriage and priesthood pertain to the administration of the church. No reconciliation is required. Plural marriages were instituted in ancient and modern times to build a strong base of members of the faith. Men can reproduce faster than women and there are always more women than men in almost any given population, so God had men pick up some of the slack and strengthen the member base. As the population of the church got large enough in ancient times and then in modern times plural marriages were forbidden. See Jacob 2:30.

The priesthood has been an exclusive right since the dawn of time. First it was one of Aaron's sons, then all his lineage, then the tribe of Levi. As the numbers grew it was expanded to include more people. The exact same process was instituted in our times. At first a select few had the priesthood. It was slowly expanded until 1978 when all worthy males were allowed to have it. The Lord needed more priesthood holders in the rapidly expanding African congregations.

Search all you want, but you will never find a change that is not an administrative change based on growth in the church. I've tried.

jazzalta

dan said:
The revelations regarding marriage and priesthood pertain to the administration of the church. No reconciliation is required. Plural marriages were instituted in ancient and modern times to build a strong base of members of the faith. Men can reproduce faster than women and there are always more women than men in almost any given population, so God had men pick up some of the slack and strengthen the member base. As the population of the church got large enough in ancient times and then in modern times plural marriages were forbidden.
Well, it just seems funny that this practice of pologamy ceased coincidentally right after Congress enacted laws against it.

nutshell

jazzalta said:
Well, it just seems funny that this practice of pologamy ceased coincidentally right after Congress enacted laws against it.
If you read the official declaration it's pretty clear.

Ody

i believe in tranquility said:
why didnt you let blacks become priests until 1973...

i find that failry offensive and sad.
This has not really been answered... :mad:

dan

AlanGurvey said:
This has not really been answered... :mad:
I just answered it; and there were laws against polygamy for some time, it just wasn't really enforced, and it was a also a few years between the supreme court case and the declaration.

jazzalta

dan said:
I just answered it; and there were laws against polygamy for some time, it just wasn't really enforced, and it was a also a few years between the supreme court case and the declaration.
Actually it was nine years Dan. But I guess the main trouble I have is in Doctrine and Covenants 132 that still seems to preach plural marriage. Are you saying the church was not pressured legislatively and did not endure church disincorportation that caused the change in declaration in 1890?

Ody

So your saying g-d found african americans unfit to lead his flock in his worship until the lates 70's?

jazzalta

AlanGurvey said:
So your saying g-d found african americans unfit to lead his flock in his worship until the lates 70's?
Sorry to hijack, but this is relevant. As I indicated earlier about plural marriage, there seems to be a lot of coincidences with Mormon revelations. There were a couple of incidences pre-dating the change in anti-black policy in 1978. A case of discrimination was brought against the Boy Scouts of America in 1974 by the NAACP, re the denial of a 12 year old black to be a senior patrol leader. The other was in 1976 when Douglas Wallace ordained a black into the priesthood. He was excommunicated and later sued the LDS church. Add this to the new temple being built in Brazil at the time.I don't think the Church enjoyed the publicity surrounding these events and thus a new revelation appeared shortly thereafter.

Lost Soul

:confused: I want to know if it is true that they have a "plan" to take over the control of the goverment of the United States "when it fails"?:confused:

Ody

Lost Soul said:
:confused: I want to know if it is true that they have a "plan" to take over the control of the goverment of the United States "when it fails"?:confused:
Something tells me its an urban myth.

Bishka

Veteran Member
Lost Soul said:
Well, if so, I saw the "myth" on a television documentary about the LDS church.
And you actually believe it? Do you know how many people don't actually know the truth about the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints? Besides, you shouldn't believe everything you see on TV. No offense, but you are highly gullible, also if you want to know something about the Church why don't you go to the source? So many people believe in conspiracy theories, it's sad. Go to the original source and get the correct information.

jazzalta

Okay, I give up. Looks like nobody wants to seriously discuss my issues. As to the person who started this thread, you failed me and perhaps others who were interested in knowing more about LDS beliefs. I'll be moving on.

Bishka

Veteran Member
We failed you? Why because we couldn't give you sufficient, logical, tangiable evidence? What do you want to know, please give me a PM if you have any questions and don't just blow us off.