• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What do you want to know about LDS beliefs?

dan

JamesThePersian said:
No it's not. You misunderstood my question. I actually think that the argument Dan raised is a good one. Why would a Church that has been through terrible persecution for their faith suddenly bow at a much lesser pressure? My point wasn't that his argument was wrong but rather that if the argument holds true for the LDS then it does exactly the same for the early Church and the believers in the 'Great Apostacy' cannot simply dismiss an argument such as I have raised. In the end, of course, it's a matter of faith as to which of our Churches is correct (though we can't both be, at least not about the 'Great Apostacy') rather than a rational argument that can definitively be shown true or false. I just deplore the intellectual dishonesty of allowing one group to use an argument whilst simultaneously denying the validity of the same argument from another group. That, and that alone, was the point of my question. I was not in any way trying to deny the suffering of certain early LDS members.

James
Apologies Terry. I misunderstood your post. I thought you were under the impression that my original post referenced early Christian martyrs and not early LDS. I have a response to your inquiry, but I have to go now. I'll get back to you on it.

jazzalta

Danny boy, you gotta calm down here. I am just suggesting some kind of obvious coincidences re the LDS revelations. Now some people don't believe in coincidences, I being one. You don't have to get all hot and bothered. And this whole thing about 1000's dying is a little out there compared to my post of some society pressure to change the anti-black doctrine. You don't see what "we" the general public see this as okay? The Pope changed too with Vatican II so no big deal. Maybe God has a sense of humour.

Lost Soul

dan said:
Well I saw a television documentary about how the moon ladnign was all a hoax, but I get my facts from research, not television.
I'm sorry, but how should I know? I didn't see any LDS members writing letters to the paper saying it was not true. I see the news on television too. You should not bite my head off for asking a quesion about the LDS church when we are invited to do so.:(

nutshell

jazzalta said:
Danny boy, you gotta calm down here. I am just suggesting some kind of obvious coincidences re the LDS revelations. Now some people don't believe in coincidences, I being one. You don't have to get all hot and bothered. And this whole thing about 1000's dying is a little out there compared to my post of some society pressure to change the anti-black doctrine. You don't see what "we" the general public see this as okay? The Pope changed too with Vatican II so no big deal. Maybe God has a sense of humour.
I believe it's possible that society pressure leads the prophet to ask God about the issue and he will receive a revelation. In some cases the answer seems in line with societal pressures, in others it does not. God is making the decisions, according to our beliefs, not Man.

nutshell

Lost Soul said:
I'm sorry, but how should I know? I didn't see any LDS members writing letters to the paper saying it was not true. I see the news on television too. You should not bite my head off for asking a quesion about the LDS church when we are invited to do so.:(
Maybe we can make this up to you. Do you have any other questions?

Lost Soul

nutshell said:
Maybe we can make this up to you. Do you have any other questions?
Do you put away food and other survival goods as part of your religion? If so, I don't think that is a bad thing to do.

Thanks.

nutshell

Lost Soul said:
Do you put away food and other survival goods as part of your religion? If so, I don't think that is a bad thing to do.

Thanks.
Yes. We believe in having a 72-hour kit for disasters/emergencies and food/water storage for long term hardships.

After Hurricane Katrina, many news agencies discussed the benefits of this LDS habit.

nutshell

The leaders of our church have also been telling us to get out of and stay away from debt. They've been hitting that message hard for about ten years.

Lost Soul

nutshell said:
Yes. We believe in having a 72-hour kit for disasters/emergencies and food/water storage for long term hardships.

After Hurricane Katrina, many news agencies discussed the benefits of this LDS habit.
See, what I saw on television was not all wrong.:)

Next question: Dose the LDS chuch keep "files" on everyone in the country? Kind of like their genealogy?

Thanks again.

nutshell

Lost Soul said:
See, what I saw on television was not all wrong.:)

Next question: Dose the LDS chuch keep "files" on everyone in the country? Kind of like their genealogy?

Thanks again.
LDS does not keep "files" on everyone in the country.

However, we do extensive genealogical research, so, chances are, you might find your ancestors in the database. This information is not kept secret, it is open to all.

Check out ancestory.com and see if you can find any ancestors. It can be fun and interesting.

Lost Soul

nutshell said:
LDS does not keep "files" on everyone in the country.

However, we do extensive genealogical research, so, chances are, you might find your ancestors in the database. This information is not kept secret, it is open to all.

Check out ancestory.com and see if you can find any ancestors. It can be fun and interesting.
Right, I didn't mean their credit files or any thing like that.:)

Thanks, I'm heading to bed. Goodnight.

Lost Soul.:D

dan

jazzalta said:
I'd appreciate it if you'd stick to the argument and not ad hominem. I can dig up a thousand "coincedences" to prove just about any subject you want. You're attacking my faith, so please don't ask me to chill out when I bite back.

I know what the truth is and I know where the lies come from. I do see what the general public sees. I joined the church five years ago after much deliberation and prayer. I'm more aware of the anti-Mormon side of the arguments than most of the people on this site trying to pawn them off. I got baptized in Dallas, Texas. Do you know what it's like telling your baptist friends you're gonna get baptized in the Mormon church? I don't think I've ever seen a more ferocious display of bigotry and hatred as spew from the baptist churches when Mormons are around. It also didn't help that my congregation met across the street from the biggest baptist church in the country.

I've been shot at, stoned (yes, I have had a group of men hurl stones at me for about five minutes), spit on, kicked out of homes, businesses, churches and public places. I had a man try to sick his two dobermans on me and three guys in Uruguay try to stab me. I take my faith very seriously and I don't appreciate incredibly uninformed people attacking it because of a ridiculous "coincidence."

And don't get me started on the Pope because this is not the right thread.

Ardent Listener

nutshell said:
The leaders of our church have also been telling us to get out of and stay away from debt. They've been hitting that message hard for about ten years.
Howard Ruff,author of How I Found Freedom In An Unfree World and a member of the LDS church, wrote a lot about debt, hard money (gold and silver), and putting way food/water and other supplies many more years ago than that. I know a lot of people might think of him as some kind of a nut, but I liked him and thought of him as a credit to the LDS Church and Salt Lake City. Do any of you know anything about him?

Ody

beckysoup61 said:
Anti-Black policy, even if I say it, you won't take it. You are just that type of person. The answer is, the Lord felt it was the right time then, they could still be members of the church, just not hold the preisthood. There, that's the answer.
So G-d felt African Americans unfit to lead his flock in worship? :(

Ody

It seems odd that g-d found them unworthy to lead his flock in worship
until after the rise of the civil rights movement...:mad:

Aqualung

Tasty
AlanGurvey said:
It seems odd that g-d found them unworthy to lead his flock in worship
until after the rise of the civil rights movement...:mad:
This is how I feel about it - God always found them worthy, but men were racist. They instituted racist policies for whatever reason. It was only with the rise of the civil rights movement that the prophet and apostles actually humbled themselves before god enough to get a real answer. Sometimes men try to do what they think is best without god's advice, and they screw up. It's hard to admit that you screwed up but, once you do, god is willing to tell you what you should be doing instead.