• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What does it mean to be spiritual?

Sha'irullah

رسول الآلهة
I hear this phrase so many times and even someone I used to respect like Idris Elba used this word. When a person states they are spiritual I know very well they are spiritual because they are breathing and seem alive. What has occurred to the word spirit in order for it to be used so wrongly and be applied to matters that make no sense in religious claims.

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
it will likely mean different things to different people. To me, it means being able to see and view things from Gods viewpoint. Only when we bring our thinking into harmony with Gods views can we claim to be spiritually minded.

So in other words, spirituality must be based on spiritual things.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
I hear this phrase so many times and even someone I used to respect like Idris Elba used this word. When a person states they are spiritual I know very well they are spiritual because they are breathing and seem alive. What has occurred to the word spirit in order for it to be used so wrongly and be applied to matters that make no sense in religious claims.

I always thought of spiritual as believing something greater than ourselves exists as a living entity, that we and all of creation are part of it, but it isn't necessarily a "God".

Btw, why did you used to respect Idris Elba? I take it that you no longer do for some reason? Just curious.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
What is wrong about it?

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
spiritual is the new philosophical

I don't know. I think a more accurate comparison would be that "spiritual" is the new religious. For reasons I still don't understand - well, technically I understand them I just strongly disagree with them - many people have trended towards using that word instead of the more proper word to describe their activities.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Or Burt Reynolds ;).

It seems to me that Spiritualism is just a bad case for being a liberal theist

To me, it seems to be basically an attempt at seeking mutual acceptance and feelings of fraternity at the expense of... pretty much all objective facts, really.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
it will likely mean different things to different people. To me, it means being able to see and view things from Gods viewpoint. Only when we bring our thinking into harmony with Gods views can we claim to be spiritually minded.

So in other words, spirituality must be based on spiritual things.
Circular explanation is circular because it's circular.

sandandfoam

Veteran Member
I wouldn't say I'm spiritual because I think it sounds affected.
I have no problem saying I'm religious.
No doubt that says something about me.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member

Everyone has their own definition for such words. I myself prefer a take based on something Einstein said: “The true value of a human being is determined primarily by the measure and the sense in which he has attained liberation from the self.” And, to me, the measure and sense in which he has attained liberation from the self is his spirituality.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
When people say they are "spiritual," I find that it is usually an affectation used to convey their preferred sense of aesthetics.

Sha'irullah

رسول الآلهة
I always thought of spiritual as believing something greater than ourselves exists as a living entity, that we and all of creation are part of it, but it isn't necessarily a "God".

Btw, why did you used to respect Idris Elba? I take it that you no longer do for some reason? Just curious.

Ever since he appeared on Oprah and claimed to be "spiritual" and supernaturally sense emotions I cannot stomach him. I dislike people who ruin the gene pool so due to this I hate Oprah and anyone who promotes her.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Ever since he appeared on Oprah and claimed to be "spiritual" and supernaturally sense emotions I cannot stomach him. I dislike people who ruin the gene pool so due to this I hate Oprah and anyone who promotes her.

Ok, I gotcha... he got New Age-y.

AbbylovesPits

Stop Pit Prejudice
Don't know where my friend got it from but as of right now She and I believe are the only ones to read it. I have always viewed myself as a spiritual person but what I am gathering is What is truly preferred from A god "Good Works" or "Worship" ? Cant seem to shake the idea that God cares nothing about our beliefs and only how we treat each other.

SoulDaemon

I have an example, my mother said this when we talked about religious stuff:

"I do not feel at home in a church or care much for the bible, christian God (personified) is not for me, but when i'm in nature and walk in the woods collecting berries, fishing or just sitting and watching, maybe making coffee with a pot on a fire, I feel that God is all around and in me."

I think that is spirituality, at least damn close, and what I understood, even though she used the word God, it was something more that flows through everything and everyone. Something bigger that she didn't need to explain more, it just is.

In a way we all are spiritual, we all have something spiritual inside ourselves and in our life, whatever it may be. Something that just is and doesn't need to be explained thoroughly.

But all in all, it's a very poor word for the true meaning of the thing. It lacks grandeur, bigness. First describing it and then saying "that's spirituality." is like filling a tyre and then sticking a knife into it .