• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What does it mean to be spiritual?

Gordian Knot

Being Deviant IS My Art.
What does it mean to be spiritual? First ask what does it mean to you to be alive! One's answer to the latter will often define the former.

Here's a hint. If you think the above statement is an attempt to imply some deep cosmic truth, you are over thinking it.

atanu

Premium Member
In the most simple terms, being "spiritual but not religious" implies to me that a person believes some various religious ideas but does not follow or practice a particular religion.

Besides that, it has spread like a meme and a lot of people use the phrase like how a lot of teenagers used to say "I like all music except country and rap".

I agree to the first part. And regarding the second, if some people use the word 'music' like that, 'music' does not become meaningless.:)

Some people may not be involved with rituals that constitute particular religions but may be deep into meditation or mantra recitation with faith in the power of the spirit over matter, which includes mental states. The goal of all religions is actually to gain control over destructive aspects of mind. Now, if someone is genuinely devoted to this end, by whatever means, how can that be 'dumb'?

HeatherAnn

Lack of depth is one half of the issue but the first one is our usage of words and that we do not take into consideration their literal meanings
There's no such thing as "literal meaning"... Dictionaries vary in how they define things, and people vary in how they interpret things.

Words and the letters that they're made up of, are symbolic. We just try to get some common understanding, but it's never exactly the same, since no 2 people think exactly alike.

This also applies to spirituality... it's not the same for any 2 people... because we resonate uniquely.
Generally, I think the goal of each of us is to feel good... whether it's by using coping addictions, or caring for others & ourselves... but the symbol by which we feel good varies enormously.

Last edited:

Leftimies

Dwelling in the Principle
Spiritual is very ambiguous and vague. I am not even sure what it means. Quite possibly the best definition is "the opposite of materialist"?

roger1440

I do stuff
I would disagree with your rather harsh treatment of what it means to be spiritual. Do you think religious and spiritual are one and the same thing?
Since “spiritual” has no definite meaning it would be impossible to answer the question.

“The term "spirituality" lacks a definitive definition.” “There is no single, widely-agreed definition of spirituality.” Spirituality - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

“Spirituality means something different to everyone.” http://www.psychologytoday.com/basics/spirituality

atanu

Premium Member
It’s a term dumb people use to appear smart. It usually best for these people to keep their mouth shut and have others think they are dumb rather than opening their mouth and removing all doubt. To put it another way, it’s a meaningless term. About a year ago I came across a woman’s personal ad that said, “I’m spiritual but not religious.” I had asked her what she had meant by that. She told me to go look it up. The woman didn’t have an answer for me, LOL.

Since “spiritual” has no definite meaning it would be impossible to answer the question.

“The term "spirituality" lacks a definitive definition.” “There is no single, widely-agreed definition of spirituality.” Spirituality - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

“Spirituality means something different to everyone.” http://www.psychologytoday.com/basics/spirituality

Can anyone see from WIKI and 'Psychology Today' quotes why only dumb people will use the term 'spiritual' to appear smart?

:shrug:

At least for Hinduism, all Religious practices are for attaining adhyatma jnana (knowledge of the Spirit - Self) and adhyatma yoga (Union with the Spirit). So, there is no division as such.

roger1440

I do stuff
If someone were to tell me, “I’m a very spiritual person”, I wouldn’t know what to make of that statement.

osamabinladen.jpg

Pope-Francis-009.jpg

atanu

Premium Member
If someone were to tell me, “I’m a very spiritual person”, I wouldn’t know what to make of that statement.

You are speaking of your view. You have a right to your view. But that does not surely mean that dumb people use the term to appear intelligent, as you originally claimed.

JField

Or Burt Reynolds ;).

It seems to me that Spiritualism is just a bad case for being a liberal theist

lol pretty much, people don't like to use the word religious anymore or perhaps think that because their religious views aren't as common or a part of an organized religion

I suppose my views aren't in line with the norms of where I am or an organized religion; I'd prefer apostate XD it sounds cooler.

atanu

Premium Member
lol pretty much, people don't like to use the word religious anymore or perhaps think that because their religious views aren't as common or a part of an organized religion

I suppose my views aren't in line with the norms of where I am or an organized religion; I'd prefer apostate XD it sounds cooler.

What is the purpose of religion?

Sha'irullah

رسول الآلهة

I prefer zindiq. It means heretic ;)

Sha'irullah

رسول الآلهة
There's no such thing as "literal meaning"... Dictionaries vary in how they define things, and people vary in how they interpret things.

I dislike dictionaries. Etymology is more important.

Words and the letters that they're made up of, are symbolic. We just try to get some common understanding, but it's never exactly the same, since no 2 people think exactly alike.

Agreed

This also applies to spirituality... it's not the same for any 2 people... because we resonate uniquely.

Spirituality for me means foolish, uninformed and uneducated. If you do not establish any sort of core meaning to the word it is useless.
Until then spiritual will always mean alive because spirit or spiritus will always mean breath and imply livelihood.

Generally, I think the goal of each of us is to feel good... whether it's by using coping addictions, or caring for others & ourselves... but the symbol by which we feel good varies enormously.

You are preaching tot he coir here buddy. Charles Manson sure as hell did what he felt was good ;).

I am just being sarcastic(expect it from me :D) but you are only making a word extremely and unnecessarily vague by doing this. You are thwarting any possibility of giving this word a significant meaning

atanu

Premium Member
Metaphysics is mental. It has not much to do with realisation or the experience of the spiritual nature of Self and the universe.

Sha'irullah

رسول الآلهة
Metaphysics is mental. It has not much to do with realisation or the experience of the spiritual nature of Self and the universe.

Metaphysics is not mental, you cannot play games and switch the definition of names and meaning. Metaphysics is apart of philosophy and by no means is solely concerned with the mind.

This is called Philosophy of the Mind. There is already something for this. What you just refereed to as "spiritual nature" is metaphysical.

atanu

Premium Member
Well, this too is a forum.

To me 'spiritual' has a definite meaning. And any one who says that people who use the word spiritual are dumb is projecting.

Sha'irullah

رسول الآلهة
Well, this too is a forum.

By this logic forums are sources for scholary information :facepalm:

What i mean is to me spiritual has a definite meaning. And any one who says that people who use the word spiritual are dumb is projecting.

I never said people who use the word spiritual are dumb although I may have implied that with sarcasm. You are proving that point if I truly wished to believe in it though as you keep talking about etymology and have not provided a single cohesive definition of the word spiritual.

Tis night where I liveth yet I still wait for thee to giveth me an answer