• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What does it mean to say God created time?

idav

Being
Premium Member
it stands to reason that if the universe had a beginning, then there was a time it did not exist

They had to come up with an explanation for how it could have come into existence, so they 'propose' an unexplainable singularity. Now they can say that the universe didnt come from nothing....it came from an unprovable assumption that it came from a 'singularity'

Why is it impossible that God himself was the cause of the big bang? At least Gods existence has been proven...no singularity has been proven.
Actually the singularity has proof but there is no proof of an intelligent agent before the universe began expanding. I'm in between cause an atheist would say it could be anything except god while theists say it could have only been an intelligent agent while I say it was god but as a non-intelligent agent.

A major issue I have with the god argument is that he could not have 'willed' himself or the universe into existence because that means there would be a cause of that cause. Something was uncaused and with the knowledge we have it is just as likely that the singularity had no cause but even if that were so it is a leap of logic to give the singularity intelligence because intelligence in itself has to have a cause. I'm more likely to believe that God is uncaused and evolved into having intellgence but then you have a changing god which doesn't bother me any.

filthy tugboat

it stands to reason that if the universe had a beginning, then there was a time it did not exist

This is actually false, time does not exist apart from the universe, without the universe there is no such thing as time. So therefore there cannot be, 'a time that the universe did not exist.'

They had to come up with an explanation for how it could have come into existence, so they 'propose' an unexplainable singularity.

A singularity is not unexplainable per se, it's not well understood, all that is known is that it has an infinite density.

Now they can say that the universe didnt come from nothing....it came from an unprovable assumption that it came from a 'singularity'

Why would anyone assume it came from nothing? That's illogical and violates several known laws of physics. So clearly the universe came from something. It is and has been expanding for a long time which implies that it at one point was all together a localized section of space. A singularity follows known science in a logical way, at one point the universe was together.

Why is it impossible that God himself was the cause of the big bang?

What is God? It might not be impossible but this God fellow many people posit has little to no evidence or reasoning in support. So no matter which way you define God(and there are an infinite amount of different definitions) it still is an unreasonable conclusion until supported.

At least Gods existence has been proven...no singularity has been proven.

Since when has God's existence been proven? The existence of God is now at it's most questionable, there is no credible theistic argument that supports the notion of God. Every single one I have ever encountered can be easily dismissed and shown to be incoherent or outright false. Now is the best time to not believe in God because there is no credible support for God, there is literally no other option apart from, 'faith'.

bigbadgirl

I would also like to know when Gods existence was proven. Belief is not proof. Faith is not proof. Reliance on documents that the writer is unwilling to sign is also not proof.

Daviso452

Boy Genius

They had to come up with an explanation for how it could have come into existence, so they 'propose' an unexplainable singularity. Now they can say that the universe didnt come from nothing....it came from an unprovable assumption that it came from a 'singularity'

Why is it impossible that God himself was the cause of the big bang? At least Gods existence has been proven...no singularity has been proven.

The universe did not have a beginning that we know of. Know one knows what the universe was like prior to the big bang. Which means NO ONE can make logical statements about it because THERE IS NOTHING TO BASE IT OFF OF.

FYI prophecies are not evidence of God's existence. It is possible that some other force, such as aliens (not saying it was though) that was able to predict the future somehow and gave that info to us. God is not the only option. But I do wish to know what evidence you are referring to when you say god is proven. Go ahead and tell us.

Last edited:

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
Actually the singularity has proof but there is no proof of an intelligent agent before the universe began expanding. I'm in between cause an atheist would say it could be anything except god while theists say it could have only been an intelligent agent while I say it was god but as a non-intelligent agent.

A major issue I have with the god argument is that he could not have 'willed' himself or the universe into existence because that means there would be a cause of that cause. Something was uncaused and with the knowledge we have it is just as likely that the singularity had no cause but even if that were so it is a leap of logic to give the singularity intelligence because intelligence in itself has to have a cause. I'm more likely to believe that God is uncaused and evolved into having intellgence but then you have a changing god which doesn't bother me any.

If you dont beleive in God because you think he must have had a cause, then why would you believe the singularity did not need a cause?

Obviously you accept that for some things, a cause may not be needed... so why not accept the possibility that perhaps God did not need a cause...that he is eternal and has always been.?

robo

so why not accept the possibility that perhaps God did not need a cause...that he is eternal and has always been.?

If God is "eternal", so is time - for there was no point in time when time did not exist. If you disagree, you need to provide a definition of "eternality".

Until then, we can safely conclude that nothing can precede time. For then we are saying there was a time before which there was no time.

Heathen Hammer

Nope, you're still wrong
If you dont beleive in God because you think he must have had a cause, then why would you believe the singularity did not need a cause?

Obviously you accept that for some things, a cause may not be needed... so why not accept the possibility that perhaps God did not need a cause...that he is eternal and has always been.?
It's not that the singularity had no cause, it's that we don't know what that cause was nor are we likely to find what it was.... at least at our current technological level.

Corkscrew

I'm ready to believe

There may not have been a cause, we know nothing about the conditions that existed before the Big Bang, but science does point us to the possibility of a singularity. Science does not point us to the possibility of a God; nothing points us to the possibility of a God.

idav

Being
Premium Member
I'm saying since we don't know when the uncaused even occurred we can assume it was the singularity without resorting to yet another agent to cause the singularity.
As far as I can tell the singularity is god if the singularity is the uncaused event. The singularity is where all the power came from as far as we can tell and it is of an unfathomable amount of matter and energy. I think god and existence are one and the same which solves the issue of god being an uncaused event and "creating" existence. No intelligence needed.

camanintx

Actually the singularity has proof but there is no proof of an intelligent agent before the universe began expanding.
Actually, there is no "proof" of a singularity. The equations currently used to describe the universe break down at the Plank scale so we cannot predict what it may have been like before then. Any arguments that the universe had a beginning are purely metaphysical, but that doesn't mean they are wrong.

bigbadgirl

We are still waiting on that proof that God exists. Some of us would like to believe, but we have no proof exept for the opinions of others.

religion99

Hello folks:

If I understand Abrahamic religions correctly, it is believed that "YHWH/Allah created time".

My thoughts are that "God created time" is a meaningless collection of words. Time is eternal and it is uncreated.

For God to be the cause of an effect, God has to temporally precede the effect.

Any thoughts?

According to Jainism , time is a separate Substance , just like all of us. Hence it(and all of us) are eternal and cannot be created by anybody.

Hello folks:

If I understand Abrahamic religions correctly, it is believed that "YHWH/Allah created time".

My thoughts are that "God created time" is a meaningless collection of words. Time is eternal and it is uncreated.

For God to be the cause of an effect, God has to temporally precede the effect.

Any thoughts?
If I know it rightly, time was created at the moment of the Big Bang according to Big-Bangists. So that means time had a beginning. This is not in terms of clocks, but in terms of events taking place one after another. Therefore it is right to say that time was created by Almighty God because time is a part of creation.

What did Almighty God do before creation? Nobody has an answer because God did not reveal it in the Holy Bible. Btw, what has been revealed is only what is necessary for mankind to know while they are here on earth. I believe as a born again follower of the Holy Bible mankind does not have the ability to know anything beyond what Almighty God has revealed in His Word (i.e., the Bible). When I get into heaven I will know everything about everything so that I will not even have to ask God to explain anything at all.

We are still waiting on that proof that God exists. Some of us would like to believe, but we have no proof exept for the opinions of others.

Those of us who believe the words of the Holy Bible , we have absolutely no problem believing that Almighty God exists. Those who do not believe in Almighty God, doesn't matter what proof is brought to their "face", they are never going to believe. The Bible has a clue in 2nd Corinthians 4 verse 4. The god of this world (a.k.a. Satan/Devil) has blinded them who are not ready to believe truth.