• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What does it take to get to Heaven?

Flat Earth Kyle

I believe that through the Atonement of Christ, all mankind may be saved, by obedience to the laws and ordinances of the Gospel.

I believe that the first principles and ordinances of the Gospel are:
first, Faith in the Lord Jesus Christ;
second, Repentance;
third, Baptism by immersion for the remission of sins by one holding the proper priesthood authority;
fourth, receiving the gift of the Holy Ghost through the laying on of hands again by someone holding the proper priesthood authority,
and fifth, enduring to the end.

Acim

Revelation all the time
I agree with faith in Christ. I would suggest removing "Lord Jesus" but if that works for you personally, keep it. Preach it, and you speak blasphemy.

Second forgiveness.

Third purify perception. May take 'whole lifetime' though instances of fulfillment go long way. Immerse self in Christ consciousness with willingness to practice forgiveness and realize / extend miracles (maximum expressions of Love).

Fourth is receiving guidance and gifts of Holy Ghost by accepting natural inheritance and authority of Divine Self.

And Fifth is witnessing to Heaven as now here, without exception for anyone. If exceptions are perceived return to step 1 or 2, and proceed joyfully.

Through the Atonement of Christ, all are (already) saved for Thy Will be done.

... is how I understand things, though I feel open to updating and critical thinking of ideas being put forth.

zomg

I aim to misbehave!
I believe that through the Atonement of Christ, all mankind may be saved, by obedience to the laws and ordinances of the Gospel.

second, Repentance;
third, Baptism by immersion for the remission of sins by one holding the proper priesthood authority;
fourth, receiving the gift of the Holy Ghost through the laying on of hands again by someone holding the proper priesthood authority,

In Mormonism it isn't that simple and you know it. You have to go through LDS temples in order to learn certain things to gain access to heaven.

Me Myself

Back to my username
This is one of my favorite little religious stories of all time :) :

-----------------

The old monk sat by the side of the road. With his eyes closed, his legs crossed and his hands folded in his lap, he sat. In deep meditation, he sat.

Suddenly his zazen was interrupted by the harsh and demanding voice of a samurai warrior. "Old man! Teach me about heaven and hell!"

At first, as though he had not heard, there was no perceptible response from the monk. But gradually he began to open his eyes, the faintest hint of a smile playing around the corners of his mouth as the samurai stood there, waiting impatiently, growing more and more agitated with each passing second.

"You wish to know the secrets of heaven and hell?" replied the monk at last. "You who are so unkempt. You whose hands and feet are covered with dirt. You whose hair is uncombed, whose breath is foul, whose sword is all rusty and neglected. You who are ugly and whose mother dresses you funny. You would ask me of heaven and hell?"

The samurai uttered a vile curse. He drew his sword and raised it high above his head. His face turned to crimson and the veins on his neck stood out in bold relief as he prepared to sever the monk's head from its shoulders.

"That is hell," said the old monk gently, just as the sword began its descent. In that fraction of a second, the samurai was overcome with amazement, awe, compassion and love for this gentle being who had dared to risk his very life to give him such a teaching. He stopped his sword in mid-flight and his eyes filled with grateful tears.

"And that," said the monk, "is heaven."

-----------------

Heaven and Hell are within. You have been in and out of both already :)

Last edited:

Flat Earth Kyle

In Mormonism it isn't that simple and you know it. You have to go through LDS temples in order to learn certain things to gain access to heaven.

I only said those were the first principals and ordinances. It also depends on your definition of Heaven. Spirit paradise considered heaven, and all three degrees of glory are considered heaven.

Last edited by a moderator:

averageJOE

zombie
I will never worship a human being as a god.
second, Repentance;
I regret nothing.
I have never "sinned", and I don't want some old dude holding my head under water.
:areyoucra
Life is great!

Tarheeler

Argumentative Curmudgeon
Premium Member
I've always been partial to Micah for this topic.

6:8 It hath been told thee, O man, what is good, and what the Lord doth require of thee: only to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God.

I don't subscribe to the typicial idea of heaven, but I think that if there is something after this life (whether you want to call it heaven, enlightenment, nirvana, or whatever) then that is the way to get there.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
We only find the way to heaven by dying.
Every thing we "know" now, is only supposition.
There are many paths through this life, and none are certain.
Faith, Hope, Charity and love, seem a reasonable starting point.

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006

second, Repentance;
Doesn't this formula make salvation a works-based proposition, dependent upon what we do? But it's clear that salvation is a grace-based proposition, dependent upon what God does.

To say that, "through the atonement of Christ, we may be saved," we are saying that God's work is not efficacious. I think that's very dangerous theological ground to tread.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
To get to Heaven? Basically, it takes being born and never committing the sin of blasphemy against the Holy Ghost. That's not to say that this is all it takes to receive all of the blessings God has in store for those who faithfully and righteously serve Him and their fellow men.

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
To get to "Heaven"?

1. Love God -- for the theists
2. Strive to go there (I believe in the Hindu philosophy of good actions, love of God, and spiritual knowledge are all ways to go to "Heaven")

3. Love your neighbour, which I interpret as:
Give to charity
Don't be selfish
Avoiding hurting things when possible
Don't let others get hurt

4. Want to go there. I don't believe you will go there if you don't want to.

Flat Earth Kyle

Doesn't this formula make salvation a works-based proposition, dependent upon what we do? But it's clear that salvation is a grace-based proposition, dependent upon what God does.

To say that, "through the atonement of Christ, we may be saved," we are saying that God's work is not efficacious. I think that's very dangerous theological ground to tread.

The atonement of Christ isn't going to force you anywhere, you may be saved depending on whether you want to be saved or not.

zomg

I aim to misbehave!
I only said those were the first principals and ordinances. It also depends on your definition of Heaven. Spirit paradise considered heaven, and all three degrees of glory are considered heaven.

No, the 3 degrees are not "heaven" as its definition is known. "Heaven" to a Christian means living with God. Living with God to a Mormon means being in the highest degree in the Celestial Kingdom.

As Brigham Young stated - ""Your endowment is, to receive all those ordinances in the House of the Lord, which are necessary for you, after you have departed this life, to enable you to walk back to the presence of the Father, passing the angels who stand as sentinels, being enabled to give them the key words, the signs and tokens, pertaining to the Holy Priesthood, and gain your eternal exaltation in spite of earth and hell." (Journal of Discourses 2:31)."

So you can see in Mormonism one has to do a lot more than what you listed, yaddoe. Whether or not you were just talking about the first principles I think you should be honest and give the complete answer :)

Otherright

Otherright
This is one of my favorite little religious stories of all time :) :

-----------------

The old monk sat by the side of the road. With his eyes closed, his legs crossed and his hands folded in his lap, he sat. In deep meditation, he sat.

Suddenly his zazen was interrupted by the harsh and demanding voice of a samurai warrior. "Old man! Teach me about heaven and hell!"

At first, as though he had not heard, there was no perceptible response from the monk. But gradually he began to open his eyes, the faintest hint of a smile playing around the corners of his mouth as the samurai stood there, waiting impatiently, growing more and more agitated with each passing second.

"You wish to know the secrets of heaven and hell?" replied the monk at last. "You who are so unkempt. You whose hands and feet are covered with dirt. You whose hair is uncombed, whose breath is foul, whose sword is all rusty and neglected. You who are ugly and whose mother dresses you funny. You would ask me of heaven and hell?"

The samurai uttered a vile curse. He drew his sword and raised it high above his head. His face turned to crimson and the veins on his neck stood out in bold relief as he prepared to sever the monk's head from its shoulders.

"That is hell," said the old monk gently, just as the sword began its descent. In that fraction of a second, the samurai was overcome with amazement, awe, compassion and love for this gentle being who had dared to risk his very life to give him such a teaching. He stopped his sword in mid-flight and his eyes filled with grateful tears.

"And that," said the monk, "is heaven."

-----------------

Heaven and Hell are within. You have been in and out of both already :)

If I didn't frubal this, I wouldn't be able to sleep tonight...:yes:

Matthew78

aspiring biblical scholar

second, Repentance;

Yaddoe,

I'm probably not as well read on LDS theology as I ought to be so I would like to ask you and other Mormons here a simple question: do you believe that there is any such place as "Hell"? (I'm referring to the Protestant doctrine of "Hell", which is the abode of the wicked, a place of eternal torment for the damned, including Satan and his wicked servants for those who don't know what I mean)

no-body

To be God, God would see through the faults that all humans have and allow all to enter heaven no matter how heinous the sins of the person and there would be no conditions. Perhaps a purgatorial stage to atone for sins, but that is it a true God would not make heaven into some sort of club with different cliques.

Yeshe Dawa

Lotus Born

second, Repentance;

Hi Yaddoe

I don't believe in heaven. The closest concept in my belief system is enlightenment. In order to be enlightened, one has to:
1- develop the determination to be free from cyclic existence
2- develop perfect love and compassion for all sentient beings
3- develop the wisdom which realizes emptiness

Peace and blessings,
Yeshe
:flower2:

religion99

Follow Digambara Jain Religion , which requires to be Vegetarian and not harm any insects or animals or birds. This is the minimum requirement. Anybody who eats is destined to go to Hell according to Digambara Jain Scriptures. There is no God who maintains these rules. These are natural rules of Universe.