• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What evidence for God

waitasec

Veteran Member
Verified by the five senses, maybe not, but verificationism is dead. God, being a metaphysical existence, can be made a case for by philosophy. And the difference with fairies can be demonstrated. God is more plausible than fairies or unicorns.

not if one had an affinity for unicorns or santa clause...

it's all a joke

The awnser is there is NO evidence for God creating the universe, and frankly why does somebody have to of created it, the reason why this belife came around was that we were looking for explanations that we simply did not have knowlegde to explain. Now i'm not saying that we now know for sure that is was the big bangl; however what I am saying is that it is quite primative of some people to still be looking for the awnser in the form of a powerful being in the sky.

Ubjon

Verified by the five senses, maybe not, but verificationism is dead. God, being a metaphysical existence, can be made a case for by philosophy. And the difference with fairies can be demonstrated. God is more plausible than fairies or unicorns.

:facepalm:

Individuals like yourself always insist on retreating into the realm of the untestable. Thats fine if you want to do that but it means you forgo being able to make any claims because without being testable no claim can be established as being true or false.

We're talking about evidence for God. If you've no interest in putting forward evidence for God then why are you posting in this thread?

Orias

Left Hand Path
You can test any claims of God intervention. Such a test was carried out in regards to prayers asking for people to have fewer complications following surgery. The result? No significant difference between those prayed for and those who weren't although some of those prayed for had more complications.

Claims to his simple existance can't be tested which means that his existance or non-existance can't be verified either way. The same applies to unicorns and faeries so its nothing to make a fuss over.

I see. Testable theories cannot be proven because the accuser lacks in faith. I wouldn't consider that justified, just down right pre-denial. A man who believes in God will test a theory and assume it as proven, simply because he believes. The same goes with one who does not believe.

Of course, your prayer example could also justify the existence of God, if one prays for good fortune and it happens upon him then it could be considered a justification for the existence of God, though most would agree that it is a natural anomoly that happens often.

Everyone has their own ways of explaining something, most just chose to follow one side, rather than looking at the whole picture however.

Though, unicorns and fairies were meant to exist as separate fantastical entites, God can exist without being considered "supernatural" and an "entity", yet a certain faith is still required to consume this thought, and many (not all) people are not able to fathom something greater than themselves.

Asking for evidence seems to me to be a trust issue. Where you lack faith and trust in the Earth and the motion that carries our bodies through space and time. Of course, this is a naturalist view point, and can also be applied to the Opposition as well.

Last edited:

Vendetta

"Oscar the grouch"
First off define God. Then we must qualify the premise of whether this god brought the universe into existence. Is God simply the demiurge?

Orias

Left Hand Path
First off define God. Then we must qualify the premise of whether this god brought the universe into existence. Is God simply the demiurge?

If you define a creator as a "God", then of course all things would be considered such.

Even the smallest of motions impact the heaviest scales.

Ubjon

I see. Testable theories cannot be proven because the accuser lacks in faith. I wouldn't consider that justified, just down right pre-denial. A man who believes in God will test a theory and assume it as proven, simply because he believes. The same goes with one who does not believe.

Testable hypotheses/claims can be proven or disproven which in relation to religion would be claims of divine intervention. Untestable hypotheses/claims can't be proven or disproven such as the claim that God exists without any of the peripheral claims.

In science great efforts are made to minimise the influence of bias and if you don't get the answer you want then tough luck. If you try and fudge the results then usually it won't take long for you to be found out, especially when others try to reproduce your results.

Don't try and apply the poor investigative standards of the relgion to science.

Of course, your prayer example could also justify the existence of God, if one prays for good fortune and it happens upon him then it could be considered a justification for the existence of God, though most would agree that it is a natural anomoly that happens often.

This experiment proved that prayer was inneffective at reducing complications following surgery. It doesn't prove that God doesn't exists unless Gods existance is dependent on him answering prayers and nobody knows if this is the case.

Everyone has their own ways of explaining something, most just chose to follow one side, rather than looking at the whole picture however.

Wishy washy nonsense. The reason why people utilise the scientific method is because it works and is the best system we currently have available to us. Alternative methods such as making things up and attributing it to supernatural agents didn't work despite its popularity in the past and continueing popularity now when people really should know better.

Though, unicorns and fairies were meant to exist as separate fantastical entites, God can exist without being considered "supernatural" and an "entity", yet a certain faith is still required to consume this thought, and many (not all) people are not able to fathom something greater than themselves.

Insults and special pleading. You''ll need to do better than that

Asking for evidence seems to me to be a trust issue. Where you lack faith and trust in the Earth and the motion that carries our bodies through space and time. Of course, this is a naturalist view point, and can also be applied to the Opposition as well.

Its called skepticism which without a person is little more than a credulous fool. I've been skeptical of religious claims since I was a young child because quite frankly they are generally ridiculous.

Ubjon

UM...
To many amateur sales men?

I went to a funeral recently and even then I got the same impression. Constantly dropping in lines about how awesome God was when it would have been nice if he could have focused on the person we were there to commemorate, the dead guy.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
Why do the religious come across as cheap car salesmen when trying to push their scripture on people?

If the product you're selling isn't worth buying for it's own qualities, you have to do something to try to convince people they really need it.

harbi

hi,
i am sure, and you have brain and and resources to check by yourself not listing to other people even me

and i hope you will find answer and share with us

Ubjon

hi,
i am sure, and you have brain and and resources to check by yourself not listing to other people even me

and i hope you will find answer and share with us

I'm reading Wheel of Time series from the start again so I'm good for fantasy reading at the moment.