• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What gives your 'God' the right to damn? What condones burning for eternity?

Shiranui117

Pronounced Shee-ra-noo-ee
Premium Member
The word hell is not even in the original language of the Bible; it is a total mistranslation. The words Sheol, Hades, Tartarus and Gehenna have no root or meaning in the word hell. The word hell came from an Angle Saxon word meaning to bury. You go to the UK today and you can hel your potatoes.

She-ol (eol) [[Heb shaal , to dig]] a place in the depths of the earth conceived of as the dwelling of the dead Note: translated in KJV about haft of scriptures as hell, the other haft as grave
Ha-des(hadez) [[Gr Haides ]] 1 Gr. Myth. a) the home of the dead, beneath the earth b) the god of the underworld 2 Bible the state or resting place of the dead: name used in some modern translations of the New Testament
Yes there is a Tar-ta-rus (tart rs) [[ Gr Tartaros ]] Gr. Myth. 1 an infernal abyss below Hades, where Zeus hurls the rebel Titans, later a place of punishment for the demons and devils not people. (mentioned only once in the Bible)
Those who go to Gehenna are not sinners of the world; but are sinners of God’s people. (how precious is this a type of purification outside of God’s holy city. All things that are not of God will be purified by God’s holy judgment.

Jesus was not speaking to the world/pagan people/sinners; he was speaking to the Jews (believers during His time He walked o n this earth); when ever He used this Greek word Gehenna. The Teutonic pagan word Hell Gehenna is not physical flames, even though Gehenna is the garbage dump outside the city of Jerusalem. Gehenna Judgment is actually spiritual in nature; it is the reaping of what Israel had sown by killing the prophets and their children in the fire to Molech and Baal at Topheth and in the Valley of Ben Hiddom (later called Gehenna). God warned that those who go to Gehenna are not sinners of the world; but are sinners of God’s people.(how precious is this a type of purification outside of God’s holy city. All things that are not of God will be purified by God’s holy judgment. This word is used not for sinner, murders or liars; it is used with the word “BROTHER”.
Gehenna is not physical flames, even though Gehenna is the garbage dump outside the city of Jerusalem. Gehenna Judgment is actually spiritual in nature, it is the reaping of what Isreal had sown by killing the prophets and their children in the fire to Molech and Baal at Topheth and in the Valley of Ben Hiddom (later called Gehenna). God warned that He is the only God, there is no other like Him.

Matthew 5:22

But I say unto you, That whosoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment: and whosoever shall say to his brother, Raca, shall be in danger of the council: but whosoever shall say, Thou fool, shall be in danger of hell (Gehenna) fire.
Yes, the word "Hell" was originally equivalent to Greek Hades, and Hebrew Sheol. However, words change their meaning overtime, and when people say "Hell," they now mean the Lake of Fire. I always use Hades when referring to the intermediate state of the dead between the time of death and the Resurrection, and Hell to refer to the state of the damned after Judgement.

There's no use in going against word usages that have been entrenched in the English-speaking Christian world for hundreds of years. You'll just confuse people, and you're making an argument out of nothing. The etymology of the word "Hell" is no argument against the possibility of eternal suffering in the Lake of Fire.

Now, when people assume that the Lake of Fire=Hades=Hell, THEN you have a problem. But if you say "Hell" to refer to the Lake of Fire, and Sheol/Hades to refer to the state of the dead before the Resurrection, then there's no issue.

It sure does.
How?

That is what the Lake of Fire is for and it is spiritual place not a physical place.
It is both spiritual and physical. Have you not read in the Epistle to the Hebrews, "Our God is a consuming fire"? And have you not read about the resurrection of the body in John 5?

No one is forcing heaven on no one. That is why there is a Lake of Devine purging.
Sense when did carnal man have freewill?
Did you choose your parents, color of skin, where you were born? NO. Adam chooses to fall and we do not freely choose our salvation. Freewill is a religious word and not found anywhere in scripture accept for the freewill offering in the OT which has nothing to do with what I am addressing above.
We always have free will to choose our own actions, regardless of the damage sin has done to our human nature. The "total depravity" doctrine of John Calvin is an absolute farce, and Scripturally untenable. The situations are given to us from God. It's in our response to them that we find free will.

It is both spiritual and physical. Have you not read in the Epistle to the Hebrews, "Our
God is a consuming fire"? And have you not read about the resurrection of the body in
John 5?
I've also wondered about the bible's reference to "baptism by fire" (Matthew 3:11,
Luke 3:16). While I don't believe anyone will suffer for eternity, when I was still a
Christian Universalist I found that verse to be a possible reference to the Lake of Fire.
It's a purgative process as opposed to a punitive one, in other words.

Of course, now as a panentheistic ... paganesque ... coffee-guzzler, I question the
need for any saving to start with, lol! :D

-

Benoni

Yes, the word "Hell" was originally equivalent to Greek Hades, and Hebrew Sheol. However, words change their meaning overtime, and when people say "Hell," they now mean the Lake of Fire. I always use Hades when referring to the intermediate state of the dead between the time of death and the Resurrection, and Hell to refer to the state of the damned after Judgement.

So you are saying we should change our view of what God is saying by carnal human’s changing their mind over word usage over time?

That is why we have a Word of God and a spirit of truth to lead and guide us into all truth . You seem to have dismissed them both with this approach to seeking truth.

Nowhere is Greek Hades, and Hebrew Sheol are the same as The Lake of Devine purging.

NO. Can't be for Hades is destroyed in the Lake of Fire so how can they be the same????

Death and Hades are specially linked in the Revelation.

Oh, no, it is not men who are destroyed in the lake of fire -- it is sin and death and hades that are destroyed.

Christ destroyed him that had the power of death, that is, the devil (Heb. 2:14), Christ came and abolished death (II Tim. 1:10) He now boldly proclaims: "I am He that liveth, and was dead; and, behold, I am alive for evermore, Amen; and have the KEYS OF HELL AND OF DEATH" (Rev. 1:18).

The fourth horse, the Pale Horse. "And when he had opened the fourth seal, I heard the voice of the fourth beast say, come and see. And I looked, and lo a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him. And power was given unto them over the fourth part of the earth, to kill with the sword (Word of God), and with hunger (lack of spiritual food), and with death, and with the beasts of the earth (our beastly carnal nature." (Rev. 6:7-8).

There is a significance to the description of the fourth horseman -- he whose name is Death -- and Hell followed with him. Death and Hades are specially linked in the Revelation.

Christ destroyed him that had the power of death, that is, the devil (Heb. 2:14), Christ came and abolished death (II Tim. 1:10) He now boldly proclaims: "I am He that liveth, and was dead; and, behold, I am alive for evermore, Amen; and have the KEYS OF HELL AND OF DEATH" (Rev. 1:18).

And since the Christ now possesses both hades and death neither of them ride anywhere except by His power and will!

This horse is given power over the fourth part of the earth-realm, to kill with the sword, and with hunger, and with death, and with the beasts of the earth.

This "fourth part of the earth" is clearly that portion of earthiness not already dealt with by the three preceding horses. It means the final destruction of everything within us that is contrary to HIS life and kingdom. \

To kill with DEATH

There is an amazing statement in the passage that we do not want to miss. "And power was given unto Him to kill...with death."!

How does Jesus kill with death?

"Our God is a consuming fire.

To kill with death means a death by death. Later on in the book of Revelation the same truth is presented thus: "Death and hell were cast into the lake of Fire. This is the second death" (Rev. 20:14).

Now let us turn this around for clarity. "The second death IS death and hell cast into the lake of fire." Therefore we have exactly the same meaning either way it is stated. What is the second death? It is the first death and hell cast into the lake of fire!

" This fact is extremely IMPORTANT. The second death is not merely the lake of fire. Nor is the second death men being tortured forever in the lake of fire.

The second death is the first death and hell CAST INTO THE LAKE OF FIRE.

That is the God's Spirit's definition, not mine.

Can we now open the eyes of our understanding to see that everything cast into the lake of fire pertains to DEATH?

Death itself is cast into the lake of fire.
Hades, the realm of the dead, is cast into the lake of fire.
And those whose names are not written in the Book of Life, i.e. those who are dead, in trespasses and in sins, who inhabit hades, are cast into the lake of fire.

This is the end of death and hades and sin and sinners, for God shall destroy the whole realm of death in the lake of fire.

He shall burn up hell in the lake of fire, He shall destroy death in the lake of fire, and He shall consume sin in the lake of fire.

How I long to see the end of sin and death and hades!

It is clear that God does not destroy men in the lake of fire, nowhere does it say that, for that would be a contradiction of terms. How can you destroy death by creating death?

How can you abolish death by bringing men under the power of eternal death from which there is no escape?

"And the last enemy that shall be destroyed is death" (I Cor. 15:26). "And there shall be no more death: for the former things are passed away" (Rev. 21:4).

Thus, the lake of fire is nothing more nor less than THE DEATH OF DEATH! "And power was given unto them to kill...with death. " 0, the wonder of it!

Benoni

Why does hell make Jesus a monster?

Hitler, Stalin, Mao, Kim Jung Il, Osman Ben Laden only killed and tortured millions of God’s people. According to your belief Jesus is going to torture trillions of God’s creation forever and ever with no mercy. That false doctrine of eternal torture in hell makes Jesus a monster.

Benoni

It is both spiritual and physical. Have you not read in the Epistle to the Hebrews, "Our God is a consuming fire"? And have you not read about the resurrection of the body in John 5?

Yes Our God is a consuming fire. But is God a physical God who needs physical fire to warm himself, to roast hot dogs and people???

God’s fire is spiritual in nature

God's fire purges out sin and death and does not roast people. Religious fire roast people

Matthew 3:11
I indeed baptize you with water unto repentance. but he that cometh after me is mightier than I, whose shoes I am not worthy to bear: he shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost, and with fire

Luke 3:16
John answered, saying unto them all, I indeed baptize you with water; but one mightier than I cometh, the latchet of whose shoes I am not worthy to unloose: he shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost and with fire:

Benoni

We always have free will to choose our own actions, regardless of the damage sin has done to our human nature. The "total depravity" doctrine of John Calvin is an absolute farce, and Scripturally untenable. The situations are given to us from God. It's in our response to them that we find free will

Freewill is a religious term and not to be found in the Bible except for the freewill offering in the OT which has nothing to do with salvation or man choosing God.
Carnal man cannot choose God because he is carnal/natural and does not choose anything spiritual for they are meaningless nonsense to his carnal brain. We all died in Adam and we are all dead spiritually until God draws us out of our carnality.
1 Corinthians 2:13-15 (Amp)
14But the natural, nonspiritual man does not accept or welcome or admit into his heart the gifts and teachings and revelations of the Spirit of God, for they are folly (meaningless nonsense) to him; and he is incapable of knowing them [of progressively recognizing, understanding, and becoming better acquainted with them] because they are spiritually discerned and estimated and appreciated.

John 6:44 No man can come to me, except the Father which hath sent me draw (Greek drag) him: and I will raise him up at the last day.

Shiranui117

Pronounced Shee-ra-noo-ee
Premium Member
So you are saying we should change our view of what God is saying by carnal human’s changing their mind over word usage over time?

No, that is exactly what I did not say.

I said that we should consider readjusting the words we use to describe what God is saying, because the words we originally ascribed to things have since taken on a different meaning that is incompatible with the truth from God that they were originally meant to represent.

In this case, Hades and Sheol are synonymous with each other. They both refer to the state of the dead, after the time of earthly death, and before the time of the Resurrection of the Dead and the Last Judgement.

"Hell" or "Höhle" was once the Germanic equivalent of "Hades," but over time, "Hell" came to be more associated with the Lake of Fire. The word "Hell" came more and more to signify the Lake of Fire, and less and less to signify Hades, to the current point in time where "Hell" and "Lake of Fire" are synonymous, and where many Western Christians don't even know what to call the intermediate state of the dead pre-Judgement anymore. To this end, more and more Western Christians are beginning to turn back to the original names "Sheol" and "Hades" to denote the intermediate state of the deceased post-death and pre-Resurrection, and now use "Hell" to denote the "Lake of Fire" AKA "Gehenna."

Do you understand what I'm saying now? It's not about changing God's truth. It's about changing our human language to more clearly reflect God's truth.

That is why we have a Word of God and a spirit of truth to lead and guide us into all truth . You seem to have dismissed them both with this approach to seeking truth.
You seem to be jumping to hasty conclusions without first hearing what I have to say.

Nowhere is Greek Hades, and Hebrew Sheol are the same as The Lake of Devine purging.
Good, that means we're on the same page.

Death and Hades are specially linked in the Revelation.

Oh, no, it is not men who are destroyed in the lake of fire -- it is sin and death and hades that are destroyed.
Men are not obliterated, no. But they most certainly do suffer in the Lake of Fire, as attested to in Revelations and in the Gospels.

Revelation 14:9-11, 9 Then another angel, a third one, followed them, saying with a loud voice, “If anyone worships the beast and his image, and receives a mark on his forehead or on his hand, he also will drink of the wine of the wrath of God, which is mixed [a]in full strength in the cup of His anger; and he will be tormented with fire and [b]brimstone in the presence of the holy angels and in the presence of the Lamb. 11 And the smoke of their torment goes up forever and ever; they have no rest day and night, those who worship the beast and his image, and [c]whoever receives the mark of his name.” 12 Here is the [d]perseverance of the [e]saints who keep the commandments of God and [f]their faith in Jesus.

Matthew 13:41-42
41 The Son of Man will send forth His angels, and they will gather out of His kingdom [a]all stumbling blocks, and those who commit lawlessness, 42 and will throw them into the furnace of fire; in that place there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.
Matthew 13:49-51
49 So it will be at the [a]end of the age; the angels will come forth and [b]take out the wicked from among the righteous, 50 and will throw them into the furnace of fire; in that place there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.

Mark 9:43-49 43 If your hand causes you to stumble, cut it off; it is better for you to enter life crippled, than, having your two hands, to go into hell (Gehennah), into the unquenchable fire, 44 [where their worm does not die, and the fire is not quenched.] 45 If your foot causes you to stumble, cut it off; it is better for you to enter life lame, than, having your two feet, to be cast into hell, 46 [where their worm does not die, and the fire is not quenched.] 47 If your eye causes you to stumble, throw it out; it is better for you to enter the kingdom of God with one eye, than, having two eyes, to be cast into hell, 48 where their worm does not die, and the fire is not quenched

In addition, it's well-attested that the personal students of the Apostles, i.e. those who sat at the feet at the Apostles, those disciples of the Apostles whose lives and works we still have today, these people also believed in an eternal Hell/Lake of Fire/Gehenna, where the wicked suffer forever.

And since the Christ now possesses both hades and death neither of them ride anywhere except by His power and will!

To kill with death means a death by death. Later on in the book of Revelation the same truth is presented thus: "Death and hell were cast into the lake of Fire. This is the second death" (Rev. 20:14).

Death itself is cast into the lake of fire.
Hades, the realm of the dead, is cast into the lake of fire.
And those whose names are not written in the Book of Life, i.e. those who are dead, in trespasses and in sins, who inhabit hades, are cast into the lake of fire.

It seems like you might understand that Jesus came to free humanity from sin and death, and that He trampled down Death by His death. This is a key point of Byzantine theology which is all too often overlooked by Western Christians, Protestants especially. If you understand this point, you're in good company with Catholics and Orthodox.

This is the end of death and hades and sin and sinners, for God shall destroy the whole realm of death in the lake of fire.

He shall burn up hell in the lake of fire, He shall destroy death in the lake of fire, and He shall consume sin in the lake of fire.

How I long to see the end of sin and death and hades!

It is clear that God does not destroy men in the lake of fire, nowhere does it say that, for that would be a contradiction of terms. How can you destroy death by creating death?

How can you abolish death by bringing men under the power of eternal death from which there is no escape?

"And the last enemy that shall be destroyed is death" (I Cor. 15:26). "And there shall be no more death: for the former things are passed away" (Rev. 21:4).

Thus, the lake of fire is nothing more nor less than THE DEATH OF DEATH! "And power was given unto them to kill...with death. " 0, the wonder of it!
So, if those in Hades are cast into the Lake of Fire, then do you hold to annihilationism, where sinners are simply erased from existence?

Why does hell make Jesus a monster?

Hitler, Stalin, Mao, Kim Jung Il, Osman Ben Laden only killed and tortured millions of God’s people. According to your belief
I'm sorry, but have you read what I believe about Hell in this thread? Hell isn't God being a sadistic monster. Hell is our choosing to reject God, suffering because we reject God's love, choosing instead to let hatred eat us from the inside out.

Jesus is going to torture trillions of God’s creation forever and ever with no mercy. That false doctrine of eternal torture in hell makes Jesus a monster.
Jesus is going to torture trillions of God's people forever and ever with no mercy? I would agree that that is a false doctrine. It is also neither the teaching of the Catholic Church nor the teaching of the Orthodox Church.

Leftimies

Dwelling in the Principle
Looking forward to getting opinions on this from religious minds and also people who do not follow a religion.

I am NOT Religious..

The one thing I cannot accept about all religions is the after life. You get in or you don't. Not including purgatory.

Who said it was a feature in all religions? :D
Anyway, the logic (I suspect) is that as the designer of world, God reserves to himself the right to cast astray the "flawed products". Sounds rather darwinistic, and unlike God, but then again...we are only humans, what do we know of God? XD