• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What godless means

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
Actually, it just means 'moving through the air'. It doesn't connote speed or mechanism. :)

And the point being made, in this instance, was wrong. Mostly because the word "God" was being way, way too broadly used.

Now I'll grant you that "God" is a difficult term to define. But that's all the more reason NOT to make the definition absurdly inclusive, as opposed to restricting it's intended meaning as much as possible for the sake of clarity as it's being used.

And I have witnessed that, regardless of the language one is using, when someone tries to make the words they're using be very broadly inclusive like that, they are generally trying to "muddy up" the conversation so as to hide some nonsense they are about to spout. :)
God is already too broadly used.
In God we trust is not a Christian reference.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Read this.

This completely contradicts your OP, so I'm confused why you would link it.

The English word godless is used about a dozen times in the Old Testament in the modern versions. The word literally means “without god.” The Merriam-Webster Dictionary defines godless as “not acknowledging a deity or divine law.” The godless have no respect for God; their thoughts and words are profane; they act in impious and wicked ways.

So...what gives?

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
Christianity (& Islam) is worse than godless.
With the church's blessing, Putin sends prisoners
into Ukraine to bomb hospitals & schools, rape
& torture people, & seize land that isn't his.
About your God....
It's time for regime change.
I did say that holy wars aren't godly at all.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I did say that holy wars aren't godly at all.
So "godly" / "godless" mean whatever
you personally believe is good / bad, eh.
If it's not about religion, why bring God
into it, eh.
Still, a "holy war" is about pursuing what
is holy to religious folk serving their god.
Sounds like someone is trying to let
religion off the hook for its dark side.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Unfortunately religion can be an incentive to pride and sin, because some people feel entitled to do harm on God's behalf. Just think of the Crusades or the holy wars in general.

Banking Seigniorage is something godless. Since it's a heist against a nation, and normalized.
Can you PLEASE stop using godless as an insult, constantly and repeatedly. Some of us who actually are godless find it insulting.

If you have issues with liars, or bankers, or whatever, call them out by name, and stop referring to them as 'godless'.
Surely you are capable of using other language.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
So "godly" / "godless" mean whatever
you personally believe is good / bad, eh.
If it's not about religion, why bring God
into it, eh.
Still, a "holy war" is about pursuing what
is holy to religious folk serving their god.
Sounds like someone is trying to let
religion off the hook for its dark side.
I have been typing for hours that it's not about religion or about atheism.
But it's about what I personally believe is good and bad.

Do I speak Arabic?
I speak English.
It's frustrating when people cannot see the point one makes.

lukethethird

unknown member
Christianity (& Islam) is worse than godless.
With the church's blessing, Putin sends prisoners
into Ukraine to bomb hospitals & schools, rape
& torture people, & seize land that isn't his.
About your God....
It's time for regime change.
You're confused, Zelensky released the worst of the worst prisoners to kill people of eastern Ukraine and Russia. Ukraine is vastly outnumbered by Russian forces, they have lost many soldiers and just don't have the manpower to take on Russia, you have to ask who it was that put Ukraine up to provoking Russia in the first place., stupid thing to do.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
Can you PLEASE stop using godless as an insult, constantly and repeatedly. Some of us who actually are godless find it insulting.

If you have issues with liars, or bankers, or whatever, call them out by name, and stop referring to them as 'godless'.
I am sorry but I am not speaking of atheists.
So I am not understanding why you should feel targeted.

:)

If you speak badly about the Vatican, I will not be offended as a Catholic.

lukethethird

unknown member

If you are not speaking of atheists then stop using the term godless, think about it if you don't understand.

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member

From what I'm seeing, there's a confusion going on where she seems to be using the term how I highlighted in red, while people are seeing it according to the definition I highlighted in blue:

Screenshot_20230812-114009~3.png

Without going out of my way to take sides, I'd still have to say it might be better to use a different term, though.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
From what I'm seeing, there's a confusion going on where she seems to be using the term how I highlighted in red, while people are seeing it according to the definition I highlighted in blue:

View attachment 80597

Without going out of my way to take sides, I'd still have to say it might be better to use a different term, though.
Neither.
I meant it as profane and wicked.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
... having seen the video, I wonder who chooses to lend this person seconds of their lives.

Not me.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
You're confused....
I'm seldom alone in this.
...Zelensky released the worst of the worst prisoners to kill people of eastern Ukraine and Russia. Ukraine is vastly outnumbered by Russian forces, they have lost many soldiers and just don't have the manpower to take on Russia, you have to ask who it was that put Ukraine up to provoking Russia in the first place., stupid thing to do.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
But you made it about God, not morality.
In philosophy an atheist is a moral person who decides to rely on a system of principles that doesn't imply the existence of a deity.

A godless person is a person who doesn't distinguish good from evil, and who is unruly. Belief in God is irrelevant.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member

You can't possibly be that naive.

Not to mention your post #4

The godless person is not a person who has no god, for everyone has gods, including the atheist.

You get to tell me I have a God? Again with this tripe? What is my god then, and what gives you the right and knowledge to declare it over my freedom of self-determination?

For some people this is the One True God or some pagan god, and for others it may be family, wealth, prestige, scientific materialism, or personal autonomy. Everyone has gods, even the godless, but only believers in Christ know and revere the One True God as He has revealed Himself in Scripture—Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.

So, not only do I have a god, but it's a false God.
As I already mentioned, in your linked article, the following is stated;

The word literally means “without god.” The Merriam-Webster Dictionary defines godless as “not acknowledging a deity or divine law.” The godless have no respect for God; their thoughts and words are profane; they act in impious and wicked ways.

and

Taking all the biblical evidence into account, the term godless seems to describe someone or something that does not honor the One True God.

When you suggest the article doesn't speak about atheists, it takes EVERYONE who doesn't worship the One True God, declares them to have gods (just false ones), denotes them with a label of 'godless' because their Gods are false, and declares that the godless have profane thoughts and words, and act in impious and wicked ways.

How would I POSSIBLY feel targeted by that?

Feel free to attack atheist organisations and people who have done wrong. God knows if I attack the Vatican, it will be based on a long list of evidenced behaviours, and not based on them being theists. But broad brushing everyone who isn't a Christian as having profane thoughts, acting in impious and wicked ways, and tagging them as godless without care as to how that term has been used over history is frankly cheap and crappy.