• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What godless means

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
You could've used those terms.
But you chose a religious distinction,
ie, those who don't believe in gods.
So finally you will understand the expression"to have a tail of straw".

Do you have the tail of straw, by chance?
Because I was speaking of people who do harm, not of you.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
If it's optional it means they are unruly and godless.
Atheism is the non-belief in gods.
It says nothing about morality, ethics, economics, food preferences, etc.
But we do have tendencies, eg, not murdering abortion doctors,
not waging religious wars, no honor killings of disgraced daughters.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
From what I'm seeing, there's a confusion going on where she seems to be using the term how I highlighted in red, while people are seeing it according to the definition I highlighted in blue:

View attachment 80597

Without going out of my way to take sides, I'd still have to say it might be better to use a different term, though.
*shrugs*

I read the article linked by the OP. It is what it is. I have no issue with being called godless, because I am both without a god, and do not recognise or obey god.
I have issues when the term godless is being used as a value judgement against anyone who is not a True Christian, denoting them as wicked.

It is trash to call a pagan (for example) godless - they are not. And it is trash to call both a pagan and an atheist godless, and then link that term to wicked behaviours. It is not novel, by any means...but it's trash. And tiring.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
*shrugs*

I read the article linked by the OP. It is what it is. I have no issue with being called godless, because I am both without a god, and do not recognise or obey god.
I have issues when the term godless is being used as a value judgement against anyone who is not a True Christian, denoting them as wicked.

It is trash to call a pagan (for example) godless - they are not. And it is trash to call both a pagan and an atheist godless, and then link that term to wicked behaviours. It is not novel, by any means...but it's trash. And tiring.
Ok...I'll give you an example.

Let's say a Pagan religion revolves around causing chaos and turmoil in a society.

Do I have the right to call them wicked and profane...or not?

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
The American intelligence is godless because they used Ukraine as battlefield for their personal war against Putin.

The mere idea terrifies me, because it's something Satan would plan.

The American intelligence agencies might argue that they're fighting "godless commies," as they have been for nearly a century. They believe they have been blessed by God, with a sacred mission which is their Manifest Destiny, to oppose the "godless" evil wherever they see fit. They see themselves on the side of God, and on that basis, they believe they have license to do whatever is necessary to fight the "godless."

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Morality is optional to atheists.
Exactly.

I don't get why this concept is so hard for people to grasp.
Whatever you want to say about atheists writ large, whether it is positive OR negative is wrong. Unless it's 'they don't believe in God'.

Much the same as saying something about 'theists' as a whole.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
Exactly.

Whatever you want to say about atheists writ large, whether it is positive OR negative is wrong. Unless it's 'they don't believe in God'.

I am saddened.
I am saddened by the fact that you haven't noted how much I praised atheists in the OP.
I am saddened by the fact that it just needed to be read thoroughly in order not to misinterpreted.
I am saddened by the fact that despite all that, you think this thread is against atheists.
I am sad.

Last edited:

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
After reading more, I agree with you. I hope the OP doesn't get too much backlash from this thread, but I also think it's not very Christian to set one's self up as a "true Christian" and judge others based on their beliefs. The Bible warns against being self-righteous and boasting. In Matthew 7:21-23
The Bible also says "try to understand what the other has to say before judging and condemning them".

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
Ok...I'll give you an example.

Let's say a Pagan religion revolves around causing chaos and turmoil in a society.

Do I have the right to call them wicked and profane...or not?

Honestly, if they're doing terrible things, you can, but for their deeds. I wouldn't factor in Paganism unless their beliefs are doing things like causing them to torture people or otherwise be bigoted.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Exactly.

Maybe we atheists have a sacred
book, but no one ever told us?

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
Maybe we atheists have a sacred
book, but no one ever told us?
The funny thing is that there must be hundreds of threads against theists and I haven't prevented any atheist from expressing their views.
I have never contradicted them. Not even once.

This is just telling, isn't it? ;)

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
I am saddened.
I am saddened by the fact that you haven't noted how much I praised atheists in the OP.
I am saddened by the fact that it just needed to be read thoroughly and to reflect about it in order not to misinterpreted.
I am saddened by the fact that despite all that, you think this thread is against atheists.
I am sad.

I honestly see where you tried to talk about how atheists believe in things, and may have meant well, however I think "believe" is the wrong word and implies the wrong things.

I think it's actually hard in general at times to see things from an atheist perspective, for theists. I actually had that problem myself when I was theist.

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
The funny thing is that there must be hundreds of threads against theists and I haven't prevented any atheist from expressing their views.
I have never contradicted them. Not even once.

This is just telling, isn't it? ;)

I do actually believe you're a better person than the things the OP may have come off as implying, so yes.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
I honestly see where you tried to talk about how atheists believe in things, and may have meant well, however I think "believe" is the wrong word and implies the wrong things.

I think it's actually hard in general at times to see things from an atheist perspective, for theists. I actually had that problem myself when I was theist.
Here we all express opinions. They are not truths. They are opinions.

Atheists are free (and I defend their right to do that) say that we theists are fanciful, fantasist, gullible...etc...etc...
I think theists are much more used to self-criticism.

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
Here we all express opinions. They are not truths. They are opinions.

Atheists are free (and I defend their right to do that) say that we theists are fanciful, visionaries, gullible...etc...etc...
I think theists are much more used to self-criticism.

I like theists. All I'll say is that they at times struggle with the concept of atheist / atheism. And like I said, I have too in the past.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
English is too, too literal as language.
Which can be very, very exasperating, I can promise you that.
My mothertongue is very metaphorical. If I say I flew home...in my language it means I rushed home, walking.
In English it means I took the plane.

So we don't focus on the literal meaning of words, but on the usage and the point one wants to make.
I suspect that’s a large part of the response to your OP.
When I read it all I could think was, umm no, that’s nihilism and hedonism.

In English that makes more sense because English is very intense as a language and it can be very specific. So casually redefining words is confusing and not readily accepted.
Words are instead redefined over a long period of time.

And do not forget that religious communities have long tried to paint so called “godless heathens” (including folks of other religions) as hedonistic ne’er do wells. It’s probably better to use another word, because the word “godless” has way too sordid a history lol

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
@Estro Felino - I would also say that some internet sources, particularly Christian ones, may have vague ways of sneaking in inaccurate or Straw Man things about atheists at times. For example, this source and the quoted material slanders atheists by saying that they (saying "everyone" includes "atheists") have gods:

@Soandso

Read this
The godless person is not a person who has no god, for everyone has gods, including the atheist. A god is simply that which a person elevates to the position of greatest importance and significance. For some people this is the One True God or some pagan god, and for others it may be family, wealth, prestige, scientific materialism, or personal autonomy. Everyone has gods, even the godless, but only believers in Christ know and revere the One True God as He has revealed Himself in Scripture—Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.

Source What does it mean to be godless? | GotQuestions.org